Monstro and Simba

By sungtrs, in Rules Discussions

When you have Monstro on the field, and you play Simba LVL3, does Simba's effect work first since it has the instant quick play effect, or do you have to discard a friend first to play Simba? Also same for search cards that has the quick play effect like The King, Jasmine, Mayor, etc. because Monstro says:

"Each player can only have up to 3 Friend and Magic/Friend cards in his/her friend area. When a player has more than three cards in his/her friend area, he/she must discard until there are less than four."

It doesn't have the quick play effect on it (unlike Timeless River, and other world cards that do have quick play.)

So persay if you put The King in play when you have Cloud, Jack, and Beast on the field(Monstro is on the field too), technically The King would be in play and the effect would start right when it hits the field, and at the same time you would have to discard until there are less than four; so would that mean I can discrd The King because it does not say anything about I have to discard a specific friend/magic friend card.

sungtrs said:

When you have Monstro on the field, and you play Simba LVL3, does Simba's effect work first since it has the instant quick play effect, or do you have to discard a friend first to play Simba? Also same for search cards that has the quick play effect like The King, Jasmine, Mayor, etc. because Monstro says:

"Each player can only have up to 3 Friend and Magic/Friend cards in his/her friend area. When a player has more than three cards in his/her friend area, he/she must discard until there are less than four."

It doesn't have the quick play effect on it (unlike Timeless River, and other world cards that do have quick play.)

So persay if you put The King in play when you have Cloud, Jack, and Beast on the field(Monstro is on the field too), technically The King would be in play and the effect would start right when it hits the field, and at the same time you would have to discard until there are less than four; so would that mean I can discrd The King because it does not say anything about I have to discard a specific friend/magic friend card.

Come into play effects activate before Monstro's effect to limit your friends to 3.

oh okay thank you very much for clarifying it! :D

CLARIFICATION: My understanding was that you play a "fourth" Friend, and then must discard to Monstro.

Why is this important? I've played many a Simba 3 on Monstro. discarded my two Friends, and still have two in play. Is this an illegal move?

Broadway_Punk said:

CLARIFICATION: My understanding was that you play a "fourth" Friend, and then must discard to Monstro.

Why is this important? I've played many a Simba 3 on Monstro. discarded my two Friends, and still have two in play. Is this an illegal move?

You play the fourth friend, if it has a Come Into Play Effect, it activates and resolves, and then Monstro's effect kicks in.

Yeah... shame on me for only reading half of the original question =)

wow..just wow

now i see why you guys always run 3 lvl 3 simbas... that is just a sweet ruling

but is it 100% sure?

It was the best way to control the field before set4 came out. I don't know about now since I'm still learning what all the set4 cards do lol