Tournament Report - A Muse N Games - Winnipeg 03/15/15

By A Muse N Games, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

We held our first Imperial Assault Skirmish Tournament today. Mods - due to a lack of an IA OP form, I'm posting this here. Please move it when appropriate.

We have incorporated this tournament as part of our Spring League:
http://amusengames.ca/iasl2015/

4 Players, 3 Rounds.

James - Vader (18points), Royal Guard (8), 2x Stormtrooper (6), Imperial Officer (2)
Nathan - Stormtrooper (9), 2x Stormtrooper (6), 2x Probe Droid (3), 2x Imperial Officer (2)

Cliff - 2x Nexu (6), Trandoshan Hunter (10), Trandoshan Hunter (7), Jyn Odan (5), Mak Eshka'rey(3), Nexu (4)

Karl - Trandoshan Hunter (10), Temp Alliance (1), 2x Probe Droid (2), Stormtrooper (6), 2x Imperial Officer (2), Royal Guard (8)

Round 1 - Scenario: Smuggled Goods (B) Mos Eisley Outskirts

Because everyone is so new, map setup + the 6 steps of Skrimish Setup procedure took 45 minutes.

W Cliff 42 Points Vs. L Carl 12 Points
W James 26 Vs. L Nathan 8

Standings:
Cliff 3
James 3
Carl 0
Nathan 0

Round 2: Get to the Ship (A) Mos Eisley Outskirts
Set-up + Deployment only took 10 minutes this time. Thankfully due to using the same map. (Random dumb luck)

W Cliff 26 Vs. L Nathan 24
W James 40 Vs. L Karl 4

Standings:
James 6
Cliff 6
Nathan 0
Karl 0

Round 3: Leave No Evidence (B) Massassi Ruins

Map Setup took 5 minutes, deployment took about 10 minutes.

W James (43) Vs. L Cliff (20)
WNathan (35) Vs. L Karl (27)

Standings:
James 9
Cliff 6
Nathan 3
Karl 0

Lessons Learned:
-Ensure that we place on our tournament announcements "You must bring your own set of Imperial Assault."
-The 10 minute skirmish set-up procedure appears to be insufficient and awkward.
-If IA OP is going to be a serious ongoing thing at our store, and FFG isn't going to supply Tournament Kit specific maps, we're going to need to print copies of the various terrains to speed up setup, and reduce wear on the players tiles.

Setup is fine if you know going in that the tiles cant just be in a box unlabeled. You need to have the tiles 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40. Practice setting up the tiles a lot.

Or get a second set o tiles and have all three maps in different boxes.

I can setup within 5 mins all my guys and tiles. It really isnt that hard. Just plan a head. Also your new at this over time things will get better.

also for a local tournament with 4 players I would Setup a different map on all three tables before the rounds. Just have everyone play each other and have the same mission on each map. If they played that mission flip it.

This avoids the problem 45 min setup and can be done locally easy. This really is under casual play so it would cover the Tournament rules.

For tournaments with 8 or more players you will need to follow the tournament rules. I really dont think printing is needed right now.

Edited by Jonnyb815

We've posted the video from James Vs. Nathan Round 1:

Why do some of your players have excessively less than 40 points, and one player has 42? I'm confused as to the balance going on here.

James - 40 point list
Nathan - 31 point list
Cliff - 42 (!?!?) point list (43 if you assume he is adding temp alliance to bring in rebels)
Karl - 33 point list

What the heck?

Triple A - I'm going to assume it was a mistake in transcription on my part. I'll double check with the players, because when they were mathing it up, everyone was at 40 when they were determining who had initiative.

I have been lurking for a bit but I made an account just to mention Nathan in the video has an elite nexu in his build so he should have temp alliance as well cliff has 41 point (temp=42)

Missing Nathan's elite Nexu and I'm pretty sure Karl was rocking both sets of Trandos.

That guy on the left side of the video sure was knowledgeable...

And handsome.

I have my tiles in 4 labelled bags (great minds think alike), but as someone who alays hated puzzles it still takes way to long, and for me, alot longer than 5 minutes. The tiles are he game's single greatest weakness, letdown, and it kind of kills the look of it... it looks like a goofy boardgame instead of the kickass miniature wargame that it is.... but it doesn't look that way.... ya, the puzzle maps really bug me, can you tell? Lol

Setup is fine if you know going in that the tiles cant just be in a box unlabeled. You need to have the tiles 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40. Practice setting up the tiles a lot.

Or get a second set o tiles and have all three maps in different boxes.

I can setup within 5 mins all my guys and tiles. It really isnt that hard. Just plan a head. Also your new at this over time things will get better.

also for a local tournament with 4 players I would Setup a different map on all three tables before the rounds. Just have everyone play each other and have the same mission on each map. If they played that mission flip it.

This avoids the problem 45 min setup and can be done locally easy. This really is under casual play so it would cover the Tournament rules.

For tournaments with 8 or more players you will need to follow the tournament rules. I really dont think printing is needed right now.

Have you done a tournament yet? Curious if this is what you THINK would/should happen or if this is something you KNOW has happened in a tournament?

We have to remember that it will only go as fast as the slowest pair.

I'm worried about this, but guess I'll see what happens at our first tournament next week (we have 3 scheduled in the area between the 9th and 18th, so we'll get to see what happens with practice, too).

Well at adepticon which had 11 people only really one group ever had trouble with setup and they finished the game first even though they were last for setup. The tournament lasted 4 rounds.

I would give the 10 min rule for setup then give a few extra mins for the one or two slow groups at a regional. But if one person does it a lot give them a warning for slow play.

The tournament started what 9:30 and ended around 2. With four rounds,setup, Prizes.

Yes, nathan was using elite nexu (6) and alliance (1)

Well at adepticon which had 11 people only really one group ever had trouble with setup and they finished the game first even though they were last for setup. The tournament lasted 4 rounds.

I would give the 10 min rule for setup then give a few extra mins for the one or two slow groups at a regional. But if one person does it a lot give them a warning for slow play.

The tournament started what 9:30 and ended around 2. With four rounds,setup, Prizes.

I had one game go to time at Adepticon but it wasn't due to map set up. We were on the Tusken map and played the avoid each other game.

Map set up isn't a big deal I just don't want too much wear and tear on my tiles.

For local stuff we used printed maps but for the real deal (regonals and up) well be locked into tiles.