Calamity and Tau Unit/Attachment Cards

By simpatikool, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Rules Questions

Hello Everyone,

My friend and I were playing Conquest this week and we had an interaction we could not agree on.

The issue: My opponent was the Tau and he had played a number of Tau Army Unit cards that can deploy as either a unit or an attachment, with a cost of 2.

I played Calamity, which returns all unit with cost 2 or less to players hand.

We were uncertain about the Tau cards mentioned above. I argued that Calamity would affect them. The unit type is ARMY, it costs 2. The special text may allow it to deploy as an attachment, but it is still a unit card. He argued that since it was deployed as an attachment, it was attached to a unit and its state was an attachment, that Calamity would not apply.

Any idea on this interaction? My follow on questions then is what sorts of cards DO affect this type of card. Can I Tzeentch Fire Storm it? Can I hit it with Zarathur's Flamers? An ORK Attachment destroying affect?

Thank you friends.

Removed to reduce confusion.

Edited by Xraysteve

We were uncertain about the Tau cards mentioned above. I argued that Calamity would affect them. The unit type is ARMY, it costs 2. The special text may allow it to deploy as an attachment, but it is still a unit card.

This statement is incorrect, according to the rules:

RRG, p. 4-5. Cardtypes: "If an ability causes a cardtype to change (such as a unit card that may be played as an attachment), it loses all other cardtypes it might possess and functions as would any card of the new type."

So, when a unit card is acting as an attachment, it is only considered to be an attachment. Abilities and rules that target/affect units do not work, but abilities and rules that target/affect attachments do.

KTOM, thank you for that rule book call out. That was exactly what I needed to understand. Thanks Man.