Quick Question, Rogue Trader Characters Uber Powerful?

By Abhoth, in Rogue Trader

It seems from the starting equipment of the Explorator and the sample characters in the free adventure that the Rogue Trader characters start their life much more powerful then Acolytes, having said that If I wanted to play a Dark Heresy character in a Rogue Trader game will their be rules for "beefing" up a DH character to be more in line with a Rogue Trader character?

I think rules for playing an DH character in RT are either given in "Ascension", where the Akolyths can get interrogators and maybe inquisitors, or directly in the RT Corebook. Or as a downloadable supplement.

We will knw it when Rogue Trader is in stores ;)

The main difference is actually gear and not ability, a rank 3 acolyte with simlar gear will fit in fine. Ascention will be way above starting Rogue Trader characters who have fairly standard starting skills and talants. Ascention is meant to be past finishing Dark Heresy characters. Are you telling me you think a starting Rogue Trader character can take on a last rank DH character and win?

Kaihlik said:

The main difference is actually gear and not ability, a rank 3 acolyte with simlar gear will fit in fine. Ascention will be way above starting Rogue Trader characters who have fairly standard starting skills and talants. Ascention is meant to be past finishing Dark Heresy characters. Are you telling me you think a starting Rogue Trader character can take on a last rank DH character and win?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but are not the chararestics (the stats) of the premade Rogue Characters much much higher then your typical DH character? And the special abilities and talents etc seem to be MUCH better as well, suggesting that Rogue characters have more Umphf to them, espicially given the explorator gets pro-sanginine feat at Rank 2!!! (Whereas its like rank 6 or somthing in the Dark Heresy Tech Priest).

Depends on the characters ;)

If the DH character has only the equip he can afford with his regular money, than the RT has a good chance, unless the DH isn't a psionic

If you play Dark Heresy only with the monthly income of the acolyths, the Rogue Trader has a good chance.

If you play it not with the idiotic income rules from the core book, the RT got a problem.

As I said before: We will the see it when the book is released. I hope that the Rogue Traders will be much much more powerful than the "weaker than every good heretic" acolyths. (So it seems to me with the DH Corebook, where the PCs have no money and no power).

Yeah that is somthing about Dark Heresy that really really bugged me, the acolytes were always under funded and under geared compared to their dangerous enemies, my thoughts if I were to run a game would be that the acolytes dont have to pay for living and get pretty much any gear they need.

Holy Double post batman

As others have pointed out, this has been discussed before. We have come to the conclusion that the pregen characters in Forsaken Bounty were upped slightly to better show off what the system was capable of. Most of an Explorer's power does seem to come from their gear. As people who poke around in the fringe of Imperial space, they do need better kit then most and a number of shiny babbles pass through their fingers.

Ross said, in a podcast (I don't have the link handy), that a starting RT character is roughly equal to a DH character with 5500 exp.

LuciusT said:

Ross said, in a podcast (I don't have the link handy), that a starting RT character is roughly equal to a DH character with 5500 exp.

Though they have few more skills the real differance is the Profile and Equipment I guess.

If you look at the stat increases, some extra skills and talents, it seems a bit more like the 3000-3500xp range, which is a number I've heard used several time (DH rank 3/4). I haven't heard that 5500 xp number before.

Yes, some of the special abilities are pretty powerful too, and certainly the starting equipment is more so than the DH equipment.

dvang said:

Yes, some of the special abilities are pretty powerful too, and certainly the starting equipment is more so than the DH equipment.

I want Tsanthos' "popgun." Archaotech Hellpistol with d10+5 Dam and a Pen of 7, just for starters!?! babeo.gif YOINK!!!

-=Brother Praetus=-

Brother Praetus said:

dvang said:

I want Tsanthos' "popgun." Archaotech Hellpistol with d10+5 Dam and a Pen of 7, just for starters!?! babeo.gif YOINK!!!

-=Brother Praetus=-

Don't forget it's also Accurate, so he gets +20 when he aims... :)

dvang said:

dvang said:

Don't forget it's also Accurate, so he gets +20 when he aims... :)

Sweet, just like Han Solo and his blaster.