No Knowledge Skill Applies to the Force

By MuttonchopMac, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

This kinda of bothers me. Do I roll Knowledge (Lore)? Knowledge (Education)? Outer Rim? Core Worlds? Xenology ( there are microscopic creatures in your blood after all )?

For instance, a PC finds an ominous amulet in a tomb and wants to identify it as a Sith Amulet or something more mundane. What does he roll?

I would suggest a Knowledge (The Force) skill, which cannot be used for Force abilities of any kind - it's strictly academic knowledge. You can't even use it to resist a Force power. But it helps situations like the one above... A generous GM might even give you a rank in it to reflect the skill you get shorted at creation. Yeah, I know that was a balance for having a Force Rating, but it could make the character more useful in the Knowledge category.

Anybody else considered this?

I feel like that specific situation is a knowledge (Lore) check.

I think, in general, tests about ancient history (such as the sith empire) fall under Lore, while recent history (Clone Wars) would be Education

that example would definately be a lore check, just naturally the check would be much harder, practically impossible even if said character didn't have experience in a given field and that seeing a more knowledgeable person would be a quest in itself. I would not allow the party to roll a check if no characters had experience with that kind of history prior, whether they are potentially evil or just an amulet.

For me, anything with a physical presence or historic importance is law, location is either that or the appropriate area skill

I always play it as Lore.

I can't go into too much detail because I'll get into unreleased material related to the Alpha test phase, but Lore is pretty much the skill called on more then once when it comes to Force info...

I think, in general, tests about ancient history (such as the sith empire) fall under Lore, while recent history (Clone Wars) would be Education

I would say anything clone wars would be "warfare"

Anything force related would be Lore in my mind. think I would use Warefare for anything about the Clone Wars though, personally.

"... a character might stumble across an artifact connected to one of these legends ... Lore is also the skill most often related to knowledge of the Force and ancient Jedi traditions."

and

"... to knowledge gained from studying the other great wars throughout galactic history... Any time a character wants to remember details about a significant event, organization, or individual who played a role in a galactic struggle, he should make a Warfare check."

From the respective Knowledge Lore skill description section in FaD and Knowledge Warfare section in AoR.

Edited by Lathrop

I would say anything clone wars would be "warfare"

Anything force related would be Lore in my mind. think I would use Warefare for anything about the Clone Wars though, personally.

I forgot that skill existed. You're absolutely right.

I'd still say recent history is Education though. Like uh... the things that happened before the movies that weren't clone wars related...

Edited by What

Suddenly Lore makes sense. I always thought other skills seemed more useful except for ancient history lessons. Which is often what Jedi teachings are.

There was a power in the beta that allowed a character to act as though Knowledge (Lore) was the character's Force rating.

Sounds like Lore über hard check

Like others, I've been using Knowledge (Lore) for most things relating to the Force.

A lot of that is based upon the notion that the Force isn't something that's perfectly understood even by the Jedi Order, who generally speaking are the galaxy's foremost experts on the Force. There's a lot of talk about "the Will of the Force," but even members of the Jedi High Council aren't entirely certain what that means. And the EU/Legends has shown that there are aspects of the Force that even the Jedi don't fully comprehend or are even aware of. That to me puts knowledge of the Force and it's myriad traditions pretty solidly into the realm of Knowledge (Lore).

Knowledge (Education) covers the various sciences, history, and things that can be quantified and verified with hard data.

AoR introduced Knowledge (Warfare) into the game because none of the Knowledge skills in the EotE core rulebook really dealt with tactical know-how, though military history could be covered under Education as well as Core Worlds/Outer Rim depending on where a given battle took place.

I would say Lore would relate to past history about Jedi, Education could be applied to any technical aspects of the Force that were not expunged for some reason or in the event you are playing in the past/future settings, and Warfare could be applied to details of the Clone Wars.