Necessary Skills?

By RMDanks, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Hey all. I'm new here. I played a few sessions of EotE last summer, and I'm getting into a full-spectrum (EotE, AoR, and F&D) in a few weeks and trying to create my character for it.

What are the skills that every character should have?

In D&D, for instance, it's suggested that every character have Perception because that gets rolled all the time. Is there something similar in this version of SW?

For any sort of context, my character is going to be a zebrak Warrior-Aggressor (former trainee to become a Inquisitor before turning from the dark side and joining the Rebellion). In the game, we'll be fighting behind enemy lines in an Inglorious Bastards style.

There's a perception skill in SWRPG, and it's good to have. I suggest putting a few ranks in at least one initiative skill (Cool or Vigilance). Cool might be better since it is also used to oppose certain social skills and to recover strain after combat. Obviously one combat skill of your choice is nice. As an aggressor, you'll probably be looking closest at Lightsaber, but the aggressor works well with other up-close combat skills as well (brawl or melee).

Finally I like having once answer to a social situation: Charm, Coercion, or Deception, but that's just a preference. Though, as an aggressor, you're likely to have coercion covered.

Being zebrak, and having terrible Presence (I wasn't even going touch it), would Vigilance be better? Or is Cool so necessary that I should at least be average with it?

For combat, I'm indeed looking towards lightsaber at some point (not sure as to style yet), but will take melee at a rank or two to handle the sessions between starting and receiving a lightsaber.

Coercion is definitely covered in the current concept. :)

Vigilance is how easily you get surprised by things. Cool is your ability to hold your action until the time is just right.

Cool is used in a variety of other ways as well.

If you’re doing any Force powers, then Discipline (based on Will) is used pretty frequently.

Good QUESTION to ask your GM and us after to solidify a character.

YOUR GM will answer you straight up he or she may be throwing your way more often. I know some GMs will make you do perception checks like every 5 minutes to see this or that. I don't normally don't because some things are obvious and somethings are narrative for the story.

I know some people on the forums mention no astrogation checks I their game.

Ask your GM. But cool and vigilance for initiative is always good.

I'll also add that what I do is look at my PCs sheets after they made their character and look at all the skills between them. Make sure there are dice rolls and events that play to their three strongest Skills for each individual character and their weakest. That way everyone feels special that they have something to contribute in each game -- they feel special. And than for moments of hard times I'll make sure there is a roll that is low on everyone's sheet but not impossible to represent reality...you can't cover all your bases.

Make the PCs feel special-- each of them for what they chose and hard at the same time.

Edited by theclash24

I agree with theclash. While there are some staple good skills in the system, the game is designed where the skill you use is largely how the player/character approach a problem. Choosing skills that will mesh with your play style will yield the best results especially if the GM knows where you'll be coming from.

In the beginner's box set for Edge the first scene has the players getting into a cantina to hide from some thugs. Now stealth seems like the go to skill for this, but it has everything from Stealth to Athletics to get a closet door open in time to some social skill rolls to blend in at the bar or chat up the Twi'lek dancer, to hiding in the rafters. A player could easily make an argument of a Cool roll as they sit at the bar like they are some regular from Cheers just as easily as they hide in shadows. Setback dice and boost go a long way to reward (or punish) more outlandish plans and talents help mitigate that so outlandish can be your middle name.

Every GM will be different and you can't Charm a lock (in most cases) but the point of the system is to be very open in approaches. Being on the same page with your GM and your group is key because nothing can suck the wind out of your sails faster than one party thinking climbing up a beam to then balance while people search underfoot would be athletics because of the climb while the other party thought it'd be Coordinator for the balance and standing still for a long period. (or its just a way Stealth was described and that was the only usable skill). And while there will be times where the ideal skill can't be used (and that's fine as 2 green dice can and do get things done. You don't need 4 yellow to try stuff) having an understanding of how everyone sees the skill system and what the style is for each PC will go a long way for making everyone feel like a true hero (or anti-hero).

Edited by Prost

In very general terms, I'd advice the following:

- One combat skill of your choice so you don't feel left out in combat. If you happen to have talents like Inspiring Rhetoric/Scathing Tirade/Disarming Smile etc. those can substitute instead, but it's still nice to be able to smack someone if you have to.

- Stealth is a good skill to have a rank or two in, regardless of your character concept.

- At least one social skill (Charm, Deception or Coersion) so you can interact effectively with any NPCs that come your way.

Other than that I think it's a good idea to increase skills that belong to a Characteristic that you only have 1 or 2 ranks in. Getting the skill up to 3+ gives you some extra dice in your pool for when you need to roll.

YMMV, of course. I have lots of fun having 0 combat skills (and a 1 attribute to boot). But then there are enough other players that the fact combats are a minor scene for me I don't have a problem with. (unless I can find something else useful to do, like fetch things or point out enemies.)

- If everyone else has taken stealth, yes. If not, eh, doesn't really matter. Also depends on game type.

- Can be good, but depends on your group build and GM's style. It's worth remembering if you've got 2s or 3s in the attribute, you really can accomplish most average checks without any skill ranks. In most games I've been in, the Face "smooths the way" while everyone pitches in for what should be asked or tries to mingle on their own.

So honestly, you can make an interesting and not totally-useless character even if you don't pick any particular skills.

I'm in the middle of making my character. I switched to Seeker-Ataru Striker. Do you think I need Brawn above 2 since I'll be using Agility for Lightsaber?

I wouldn't worry about any ability above 2 unless it's part of how your discribe/imagine the character. (i.g. "I'm playing a strong, bulky human") or you have at least 2-3 skills attached to it you consider primary skills for the character. (i.g. "I'm playing a ex-professional athlete, renown for his skill and toughness.)

Not that having Brawn 3 is bad or anything - it's a point of soak, a point of damage and athletics. But I wouldn't spend the 30xp just to have +1 damage & soak, not without concept behind it.