Lightsaber colors ?

By JP_JP, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

Well, I grew up believing that you can attune your lightsabercrystal to yourself, but that doesn't change the colour, which gets determined by the type of crystal you use, ie Ilum crystals are blue or green, artificial sithcrystals are red, etc.

And the Jedi tend to give blue crystals to guardians, green crystals to counselors, etc., but theoretically everyone can use whatever colour he or she likes (except black, because black is the absence of light and lightsabers without light are just shiny hilts).

And that's what I'd prefer Disney Star Wars to be.

I haven't read the new books, but in Rebels, doesn't Ezra get a crystal which is blue to begin with? Even before he can influence it with the force?

I haven't read the new books, but in Rebels, doesn't Ezra get a crystal which is blue to begin with? Even before he can influence it with the force?

Ezra can definitely influence the Force when he gets his Crystal. The lock on the temple requires both Master and Padawan. His ability may only be at minimal level for the task, but it is shown.

I think he or she meant that the crystal appeared blue before Ezra even touched it or attuned it.

Yes, thank you, Kaosoe, that is what he meant.

Something to remember, Luke's green crystal is synthetic. The Jedi preferred natural crystals but by the time Luke was building his saber, knowledge of Ilum and other sources were lost. Luke built his saber and produced the crystal from instructions in Obi-wans hut on Tatooine.

Something to remember, Luke's green crystal is synthetic. The Jedi preferred natural crystals but by the time Luke was building his saber, knowledge of Ilum and other sources were lost. Luke built his saber and produced the crystal from instructions in Obi-wans hut on Tatooine.

Yeah, synthetic crystals were commonly used by the sith and occasionally used by Jedi. Sith would typically use synthetic crystals cause they were practically dime a dozen and could easily be made. I remember reading somewhere that synthetic crystals typically default to red but obviously with some work you can get them to be different colors

This brings up the question: When will we get rules for making our own synthetic crystals?

This brings up the question: When will we get rules for making our own synthetic crystals?

maybe we'll see that in the Lightsaber construction rules provided in the GM's Kit.

Is Luke's crystal being synthetic canon still? I thought it was from Shadows of the Empire.

Synthetic Crystal

Synthetic crystals are created using a machine called a geological compressor. While more well known as the crystals in the Sith red lightsabers, they can come in any colour. Synthetic crystals come in three forms; standard, compressed, and unstable.

Standard Base Modifiers: Installing this crystal changes the lightsaber's damage to 8 and it's critical rating to 2, and the lightsaber gains the Breach 1 and Sunder weapon qualities. This crystal also allows its wielder to destroy a lightsaber on one triumph instead of two. If the crystal is ever removed, the lightsaber loses these qualities, and reverts to its previous base damage and critical rating.

Standard Modification Options: 2 Item Quality (Vicious +1) Mods, 2 Damage +1 Mods, 1 decrease the weapon's critical rating by one to a minimum of 1 Mod.

Hard Points Required: 2

Price: ® 15,000 credits.

Compressed Base Modifiers: Installing this crystal changes the lightsaber's damage to 7 and it's critical rating to 2, and the lightsaber gains the Breach 1 and Sunder weapon qualities. This crystal also gives the lightsaber the Accurate 1 Weapon Quality. If the crystal is ever removed, the lightsaber loses these qualities, and reverts to its previous base damage and critical rating.

Compressed Modification Options: 2 Item Quality (Accurate +1) Mods, 2 Damage +1 Mods, 1 Item Quality (Defensive 1) Mod.

Price: ® 12,000 credits.

Unstable Base Modifiers: Installing this crystal changes the lightsaber's damage to 8 and it's critical rating to 1, and the lightsaber gains the Breach 1, Sunder and Vicous 2 Weapon Qualities, although the lightsaber may be shut down by spending 3 threat or 1 despair with a maneuver action to reignite. If the crystal is ever removed, the lightsaber loses these qualities, and reverts to its previous base damage and critical rating.

Unstable Modification Options: 3 Item Quality (Vicious +1) Mods, 2 Damage +1 Mods.

Price: ® 10,000 credits.

I think the base synthetic crystal is too good, since it's got a head start over the Ilum Crystal and is overall easier to modify to get the same stats as a fully modified Ilum Crystal. Personally, I'd set it as overall being a little weaker at the end game but have the same base values as the Ilum Crystal. Perhaps base damage 6, crit 2, with three +1 damage mods, a -1 crit mod, and a +1 Vicious mod, and a price tag of 8000 credits? The Sith used synthetic crystals more as a matter of ego ("look what I made!") than because they were flat-out better than naturally occurring crystals.

Unstable also comes across as way too potent. If anything, I'd give it base damage 7, crit 2, Vicious 1, with a single +1 damage mod, a -1 crit mod, and then the three +1 Vicious mods. I'd also change it so that if a Despair when attacking or a Triumph when being attacked is enough to overload the 'saber, causing it to be damaged by one step. This makes the unstable crystal a potent but chancy option.

The compressed crystal I'd drop the second Accurate mod and leave the maximum ranks of Accurate at 2 instead of 3.