Dual Shot. ELI5

By pearldrum1, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

I don't understand this talent as described in the DH CRB. I checked in the OW CRB and it simply isn't there. Perhaps it was done away with.

But let me get your take on it - the talent states that as a full round action I can fire both pistols at the same target and have both hit. But I don't understand how that is different than using TWW to simply target one enemy and use a half action to fire twice at it (since both shots are part of the same half action), either single or semi, with each pistol.

The talent seems redundant. Perhaps I just don't understand its function.

A bit redundant. Its basically gambling.

1 roll=greater chance of both hitting, but greater risk that both miss.

2 rolls=greater chance one of the two shots will miss, but better chance at least one of the two will hit.

I suppose the only benefit is that you don't take penalties from TWW if you use it?

Edited by ColArana

If you have a copy of the Errata or [Rogue Trader - Core] handy, either book better illuminates the intent behind Dual Shot/Strike. Basically, an Aim bonus apply to the combined strike and the target's Toughness bonus only applies once. Pulling from [Dark Heresy - Blood of Martyrs], the Seraphim Inferno Pistol and Seraphim Hand Flamer have special rules regarding Dual Shot. The former increases Damage by 1d10 and doubles Penetration, while the latter applies a penalty to the Agility-to-avoid-the-flame Tests. In very specific circumstances (e.g., double Seraphim Inferno Pistols against some Daemon), Dual Shot can be effective. Otherwise... Yeah, the Talent is a disappointing "upgrade" of Two-Weapon Wielder.

Thanks, guys (assuming you are both male). That cleared it up brilliantly.

@ Asymptomatic

I do not agree that it is a disappointing talent. On the contrary, it is very useful when dealing with high Toughness characters when two separate hits would not damage the opponent.

The talent basically gives the option to deliver one very powerful hit instead on two less powerful ones. Which is more useful depends on the opponent.

Edited by Exeviolthor