Force Orders

By Meribson, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

So besides the Jedi & Sith, has anyone had other Force Orders in their games? I am in the midst of preparing one based off of the Principles of Rajivari for mine but I'd like to hear what other people have done.

I'm pretty sure the Nightsisters made it into a game I ran back in the days of Saga Edition d20... I also had a Disciple of Twilight character who was Force sensitive Batman.

But with FFG's Star Wars RPG, my players (at least half of them) have some weird aversion to the Force. The most we had was a player who picked up Sense to upgrade the difficulty of attacks against him. He joked that if the GM got to have NPCs with Adversary, he was going to be an Adversary to my NPCs.

If my players ever bite on Force and Destiny, the Jedi will be very original trilogy and less prequel trilogy, and rare enough that each Jedi Master has his own views to pass on to his various students.

I haven't ran any specifically F&D games, but my Edge/Age campaigns have included Gand Findsmen (often Force-sensitive, although not really Force users per se) and Jedi-errants (technically Jedi, but from the smaller sects that didn't follow the Council). By-and-large, though, it's individual Force-sensitives without any formal training.

I'm using the Witches of Dathomir in one of my two part games.

Really, in the Beta I'd say a good half the Specs could be used for non-Jedi style stuff. Heck, some, like Mystic, I'd argue WERE meant more as 'not Jedi' - remember, this is about playing those following in the footsteps, not being Jedi. So there's a lot of room there.

With creativity, I suggest making new Force traditions. With old EU out, you can alter pre-Disney EU for interesting results.

I have the Bando Gorah cult and the Baran Do Sages from the Kel-Dor race almost word for word what they were in old-EU. But, I took the Jenaasari, the Sorcerors of Rhand, and the Secret Order of the Emperor/Prophets of the Dark Side and went hog-wild changing them into what I wanted.

For example, rather than the Jenaasari being half-Sith/half-Jedi offshots with plate armor who are super edgy, I turned them into a splinter faction of Jedi from pre-Ruusan Reformation who kept growing more militaristic. End result: Something like the Assassins from Assassin's Creed: well meaning, but highly corruptable and lethal.

Edit: Some other orders off the top of my head, spelling probably wrong-

Jal Shey

Makasi

Zension Sha

Sorecerors of Tund

All the other Witches of Dathomir besides the Nightsisters

The Altisian Jedi

The Brotherhood of Darkness variant of Sith

The Ang-Tii

The Lost Tribe of the Sith (aka, the Twilight vampires of the Sith legacy. haha)

Edited by Skywalken

Well, I'm going to talk more about the order that I mentioned in the opening post: The Disciples of Rajivari.

Ten years after the third Barsen'thor recovered three of the Principles of Rajivari, a member of the original Jedi Council that fell to the dark side, a human padawan named Tyrrhe Rasharn left the order with the intent of founding his own order of Force-Sensitives away from both the Jedi and the Sith, using the principles of Rajivari as a starting point. Unlike the namesake of the order that he would form, Tyrrhe had no desire to engage in conflict with the Jedi, perfectly content to leave the Jedi alone so long as they showed him the same. While his initial attempts to found an order failed, his greatest student helped him record a holocron with the intent of using it to try again in the future should it become necessary.

Unlike both Jedi and Sith, the Disciples of Rajivari do not have a code, but instead have a set of principles to abide by. These include the three original principles set by Rajivari discovered by the Barsen'thor, as well as twelve others that he and his fellows devised based on and in line with the original principles. The principles are:

First Principle : When weakness is discovered it must be crushed or you will be crushed yourself. Addendum : When possible, turn a weakness into strength.

S econd Principle : All life is a battle, even to the last breath.

Third Principle : To love can give great strength, but it will also make you vulnerable. Only open your heart if you are prepared for pain, and only close it if you are ready for emptiness.

Forth Principle : No man can master others until he has mastered himself.

Fifth Principle : Showing mercy to an enemy creates a spiral of destruction.

Seventh Principle : Sacrificing your strength is the path of a fool.

Ninth Principle : Good and evil are concepts, the product of small minds who see duality and patterns where none exist. All that matters is power and ambition.

Tenth Principle : Power will always find a purpose. If you do not seek out power with a purpose, it will find its own, and you will be dragged along the path your power has chosen for you.

Eleventh Principle : Without power, ambition is futile. Without ambition, power is worthless.

Twelfth Principle : The Force is a tool with which one can gain power, nothing more and nothing less.

Thirteenth Principle : The path to true greatness is through attaining power and ambition.

Fourteenth Principle : Through the proper training and discipline, you can achieve power from outside, but ambition you must find within.

Fifteenth Principle : No one can tell you how to use your power except yourself.

Those are the only principles that I currently have, and I am trying to come up with eight more. If anyone wants to make a suggestion I would be happy to hear more ideas. I have a thread over on the World Building forum on the Giant in the Playground forums titled Disciples of Rajivari if anyone wants to see it.

The Disciple of Rajivari have a...complex view on the Force in regards to the whole Light Side vs. Dark Side debate. Their view is that in answer to Luke's question in Empire Strikes Back, yes. The Dark Side is stronger. But that power comes at a great cost. It is quick to learn, but almost impossible to master, and its continued use without mastering will eventually destroy the user. By contrast, the Light Side isn't quite as powerful, it takes much longer to learn, but it is more easily mastered and doesn't feed on the user. In the end, it is a matter of if one feels that the cost is worth the benefits, and it is something that everyone must choose for themselves. Tyrrhe Rasharn, the founder of the Disciples who left the Jedi to found to group, personally felt that the costs outweighed the benefits. Not exactly what you would expect from the founder of an order based on the teachings of a Dark Side Force user.

EDIT: I added the new principles that had been decided upon since I originally made this post, and included the rearrangement that I felt made the new ones flow better with the previous ones.

EDIT2: Added in the view that the Disciples have in regards to Light vs. Dark

Edited by Meribson

In our F&D game, I am playing a Clawdite Jal Shey Initiate-soon-to-be-Advisor (Mystic/Seer), and the group is helping Master Luke and his friends to rebuild what will become the New Jedi Order, in addition to helping Mon Mothma and Princess Leia to rebuild what will become the New Republic.

I worked this out with my GM, and the reasoning was that the Jal Shey apparently had a practice of studying many different traditions, and in our case I reasoned that my Jal Shey Mentor might be old friends with a Jedi Knight, and my character was assigned to help as part of his/her training to become an Advisor.

We have a couple of Jedi Padawans who are trained in lightsaber combat, a Drall Artisan force-sensitive who is related to some of the other Drall who were helping to take care of the Solo children, a Chadra-Fan with a mysterious background (maybe Jedi-trained, maybe not), and me.

I wound up making my own; the Cal'ran were obscure even under the Old Republic. They were a sect of Force disciples who found harmony through geometry and mathematical expression, believing it was a way to enlightenment. They inhabited the eight planets which orbited eight stars that formed a perfect cube, and the suspicion is that it was assembled by the same Architects who built the Corellian system and the Maw cluster.

Once we have a bit more of the core material - and maybe a couple of the career books - I want to do a more forward-placed game, where the other orders are known if not popular. Jal Shey, Zeison Sha, Jensaarai could all have a place; especially if the orders decided it was time to work together and pushed an acolyte from each order into an adventuring group to build rapport.