Translation Errata/System Help?

By Demonskunk, in Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

I bought Anima RPG a long time ago hoping that I'd get to run it, but after several years, and multiple failed attempts at making a character, I'm stuck.

Is there an errata for the confusing translation, or a guide somewhere that will help me understand the rules better?

Well first of all I have a question is there something in specific you are stuck on or are you just baffled in general? Either way is fine the only reason I ask is because I need to know what you are stuck on in order to help. If you are just stuck on one specific point I could probably point you in the right direction quickly, if not I would have to take a different approach. If you are just baffled overall I would not be opposed to taking time out of my schedule to sit down and go over it with you whether it be through Skype, twitch broadcast, teamspeak or whatever you feel comfortable with. I'm by no means the best authority on the game but I do have at least 1 copy of each book and I am part of a pretty regular group and I have helped quite a few new players get started.

Well first of all I have a question is there something in specific you are stuck on or are you just baffled in general? Either way is fine the only reason I ask is because I need to know what you are stuck on in order to help. If you are just stuck on one specific point I could probably point you in the right direction quickly, if not I would have to take a different approach. If you are just baffled overall I would not be opposed to taking time out of my schedule to sit down and go over it with you whether it be through Skype, twitch broadcast, teamspeak or whatever you feel comfortable with. I'm by no means the best authority on the game but I do have at least 1 copy of each book and I am part of a pretty regular group and I have helped quite a few new players get started.

We're confused on a few things, but it's been a little while since we've tried to go through it.

I know one thing we were baffled on that was causing issues is the character sheet's mislabeling of certain aspects (like Raza not being translated properly into Race), and not knowing what an average starting character should have stat-wise to be considered 'average'.

I'll ask my group to look through it again with me to figure out exactly what else we had issue with, thanks a million!

No problem what so ever, besides I might learn something myself while doing this or possibly get some new ideas. Also my offer to sit down and go through it with you extends to the whole group as long as I could help you all at once instead of trying to hold several separate meetings.

Average stats are 4-6.

Low stats are 1-3, but I personally think that a decent RPer should be able to work with a 3. Having a 2 means you have the equivalent of a toddler in that stat, which is fine if you are a toddler, but not workable for the average character. A 1 means you are getting beat up by newborn babies. A 3 means you are moderately handicapped, if it's STR you are armwrestling first-graders and it's roughly even.

High Stats are 7-9.

A 10 means you are at the maximum of human potential. You go to the Olympics and win multiple Gold medals (and a Nobel Prize).

Just my two cents.

This is so cool. We are very blessed to have such a great group on these forums who are willing to take the time out to help us new players. Whenever I have any problems I will defiantly come here and post my questions. Thanks a lot everybody to all the support you give us. You don't know how much more joyful you guys and girls make this game. Game on!!! :)

We're confused on a few things, but it's been a little while since we've tried to go through it.

I know one thing we were baffled on that was causing issues is the character sheet's mislabeling of certain aspects (like Raza not being translated properly into Race), and not knowing what an average starting character should have stat-wise to be considered 'average'.

I'll ask my group to look through it again with me to figure out exactly what else we had issue with, thanks a million!

Also don't feel like you have to get a full list of everything you are stuck on before asking me to help with it. I still run into something I am confused by once in a while that I have to consult my GM council on. As long as you have a pretty good idea what the majority of your questions are I am ok with it. After all It's not like I am only willing to help you out one time. I am also willing to be there for whoever will be the GM as I know he will likely run into questions on a regular basis, I know I did and it helped me greatly just to have another gm to ask a second opinion sometimes.

hi don't remember where i got this from but i give it to all new players when i introduce them to anima. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/266099174/rpg/chargen%20guide.pdf if you follow along with this guide you might want to do step 1 after step 3 or even step 4. i find it saves a lot of time messing with stats to do them after you decide what kind of character you want to be not before.

if you google anima guides you'll find a lot of info now that wasn't available when the core book came out. also there are several you tube video's that walk you thru generation.

in my experience new players take 2-4 hrs to fill out a character sheet with your help so be sure to set aside one evening for your group to get together just for character creation. there's lots of decisions to make and if you don't know exactly what type of character you want to build before you start it takes forever. my recommendation is to read the classes and try to come up with a character you want to be before filling out anything. then if you wish to use one of the powers present in the world read up on them. maybe take some notes as to what you would like to have for your level 1 character then go read thru the advantages and disadvantages. then roll your dice and start building the character. if you took notes and marked pages it will help you not have to redo half your character sheet multiple times

if your going to run a campaign pick up the dm supplement pack, that screen is a huge help also i like to use the colored sticky note tabs to mark my book for pages i go to a'lot, is a huge help and the tabs don't damage your book when you peel them off. when your whole group is new to the system be sure to keep the first 3-5 sessions simple. keep the combat small, only a couple enemies at a time will help everyone learn. i made the mistake of throwing 20 level 0 zombies at my party in 3rd session and the combat took the entire session. for this system you will defiantly want to give your players and your dm time to memorize their charts and abilities so they dont have to constantly look things up. i ended up loosing 2 players of my 8 starting party because it was so slow in combat cause i threw too much at them when we didn't know all the rules yet.