Dragon's Eye and Museum Map

By Rutan, in Elder Sign

Greetings fellow investigators.

As the title says I have a queston regarding those cards (1 common item and 1 unique item) and the SoA mode.

Can I apply those to an Arkham Adventure with a gate on it and in that case what happen.

I can argue for three solutions.

a) No you can not apply it on an Arkham Adventure with a gate since it in extension will make the card affect an other world, wich is explicitly forbidden.

b) You can change the Arkham Adventure and move the gate to the new Arkham Adventure that replace the discarded.

c)You discard the Arkham Adventure, monsters, gate marker and discard the Other World Adventure an the other end of the gate and draw a new Arkham Adventure in place of the discarded.

Atm I play according to a), b) I don't like at all and c) would make the cards even more powerful than they already are.

Btw, the Gate Box and Find Gate still confuse me but I play them like in the thread here, i.e. the Other World is placed face up so that I know what I face and can prepare before I go there.

Hope I make sense

This was clarified by Jason Walden for FFG to a user on BGG: whenever an effect forces an Arkham Adventure with a gate open on it to be discarded, the gate is closed and the OW card that that Arkham Adventure was leading to, is discarded as well

As for Gate Box and Find Gate: they instruct you to have an OW crd enter in play. In SoA, you spawn a gate instead, and the OW enters play face-down as per normal rules.

Nonetheless, many think this ruling to be ovepunishing for players (by using these objects you voluntarly have an OW card enter play), so that some houserules suggest to play literally the cards (OW faceup, no gates) while others suggest going for gate + faceup card.

I'd suggest you to go for the way you prefer on this topic here. Hopefully we'll have a clarification in the FAQ.

I believe it was clarified that an Other World card cannot enter play unless there's a gate open, in which case I would suggest playing Gate Box and Find Gate as: open a gate, and place an Other World card in play faceup.

Our group found Find Gate last play and put it out of the game, indeed there are more interpretations open, but at that time, being the first game with this expansion, we tried to follow the rules clearly and found it then useless, but indeed, it could be used as the title says, find a gate, and not as the text says further

I have a question of my own: the rules of SoA indicate how to get to the OW card but not what happen with a character after passing en putting the OW card away. Also in the Core Rules I couldn't find a clear answer. Since the SoA states that you have to go via the corresponding gate to the OW, I assume you return to that gate on an adventure card, but the Rules state only that you sealed it, not that you move to there, is that assumption correct?

Whenever you complete successfully an adventure (OW or Arkham) you're returned to the Streets of Arkham.

Whenever you fail an adventure (OW or Arkham) you stay on the card and then in the next turn move step you decide whether

a) stay on the adventure

b) move to another adventure

c) move to the streets of Arkham (and eventually resolve its ability and move to another adventure)

Whenever a gate is closed by an effect and the OW you're in is discarded, you're returned to the Streets of Arkham

Thanks!

I thought it to be strange to return to the Streets of Arkham but I understand more and more the possibilities of that card and perhaps it is more necessary to return to the Streets than to move to the Adventure Card that just recieved a seal, The Movement Phase has now much more action

Yup. Additionally, don't see the seals as in Arkham: you don't go on a card, then move through the gate, reach the OW (and then backwards when the seal is done). In SoA mode, when you move, you move directly to the OW; hence, when you return, you return directly from that OW

autch, it's the 'compare to AH' trap, we do it all the time of course, and sometimes we fool ourselves with it

in AH, when playing with 6 players or more, we split up movement and resolution phase, so first everybody makes their movement and then a second row of resolution phases. It's some kind of House rule I think, sometimes the in between periodes become too long. In ES I tried it a few times in the weekend, it was horrible. Even with 3 characters, a bad card enters play? Sorry, busy elsewhere ... very hard. That's also why I see the importance of the SoA card. You really need that start there ... not anymore possible to buy Elder Signs, but skipping an Adventure Card at the start of your turn is also very powerful imo

autch, it's the 'compare to AH' trap, we do it all the time of course, and sometimes we fool ourselves with it

Don't worry, getting use to similar mechanics that actually play differently requires some time

in AH, when playing with 6 players or more, we split up movement and resolution phase, so first everybody makes their movement and then a second row of resolution phases.

That's actually no houserule, but the way AH is to be played according to the rulebook

Still, I agree, it's impossible to have this working for ES, especially because bad stuff happening for failing adventures results in a change in the overall balance, so that the "next in line" needs to go where he's needed the most without trggering the apocalypse :)