Help! Which campaigns/adventures to run?

By cegorach, in WFRP Gamemasters

So I kind of splurged on the end of line sale and picked up most of the books.

This means I have the core set adventure, Edge of Night, Witch's Song, Gathering Storm and Enemy Within.

I am kind of confused as to how to run these together in terms of power levels.

Assuming I have a group of PCs who start from scratch, is it possible to play all of these in a given sequence and have the adventures keep pace with the power growth of the PCs?

Or will the group get too powerful too quick to run all of them, in which case which ones are most recommended?

Any help appreciated.

Honestly all of those adventures while good with the possible exception of the Gathering storm though that's good thematically, could be improved upon and made to work with more experienced parties. If I was in your position however I'd move Stromdorf to averaland and link it in with the start of the Enemy within campaign narratively and time wise as it will provide a more sensible progression of time at the start of that adventure. Also do you have Winds of Magic because the adventure in that boxed set is fabulous though again I'd move it to Averland and use it to confuse the party as to what the main plot arc is of this story.

The Edge of Night could be written into any of the big cities and would work easily with a little work in terms of fitting alongside the story of the Enemy Within, though I will say this adventure actually could do with some build up and expanding in the politics if your willing to put the time and effort into it especially with the Skaven Linking in as well as competitive nobles, you could use this to greatly expand upon the political activities and parties involved in the Enemy within campaign doing this will go a long way at creating a far more branching plot line that's far less of a rail road.

The Witches Song is a cracking storyline and again one that could be shifted in terms of location to provide an additional story arc within the Enemy within campaign, especially in the Middenhiiem region or even as part of the travels experienced over that campaign (again another Noble family could be tied in).

The Enemy within itself is a great core plot line but its a pure rail road and seriously lacking in the minor quests, that not only build upon the realism and immersion into the plot but also bring those locations to life while posing a range of morale dilemmas to the players while keeping the main plot in something they are involved with but also helping keep the events effecting the wilder would in the back ground. I seriously suggest added multiple small adventures/plot lines in each of the major cities as well as a plot for every leg of there travels in addition to the suggested travel events etc.

Finally your going to need to slow down players advancements, a simple method of doing this is to force at least two or three mandatory out of Career advances before they can change career, that are fitting to the campaign and there backgrounds. Anyway I hope that's of some use, I will say that there's tons of great adventures on the internet so you do not need to create additional plots yourself instead simply adapt ones that take your interest in terms of location and then create hooks so they can be easily tied into the players lives. Finally personally I always like to have some additional minor plot arcs going on in my campaigns that are directly linked individually to each of my players characters, now these may only crop up rarely but are a great element to bring the Players story telling skills into play and gives them the feeling of control in terms of the plot which seriously helps with immersion, however its critical you keep these plots rotating so all the players can have there moment in the spot light avoiding any players personal plots to play the part of anything more than a sub plot (as in don't link them to the main story - though you can still get individual characters invested in various main plot NPC's as this creates and build upon the often tenuous links between players and the main plot line advancing characters).

Thanks for reading

crimsonsun

I have enjoyed all of them, of course tinkering to one degree or another each as a I ran it (Enemy Within the most).

I find you can scale up difficulty easily enough so start wherever you like would be my suggestion.

Gathering Storm is actually a good "introduction to warhammer" with its "tour of typical foes", though its villain is too obvious - you need to use one of the suggestions in it for an alternate villain.

Witch's Song has a great gothic story that can also be done up "Hammer Horror Film" style if you play it up that way though you need a good reason (unless your table accepts hand-waving stuff) for folks to be out that way.

Edge of Night has nice set pieces but needs most work to run. I can be relocated to another city pretty easily (you would have to swap out names of some nobles etc.), for example Averheim if using Enemy Within.

If you've got all the adventures in rule books, Winds of Change and Horror at Hugeldal are both good (latter can also be "hammer horror" very easily).

Making PC's related to folks in several of these adventures can add oomph and reasons to be involved.

Enemy Within's character background options and PC-interconnection/story-connection approach is a good one to start with and use whatever scenario you're using.

That's utterly amazing guys! Thank you so much, going to sit down and read through and try and put your suggestions into play.

While I'm here, are there any must-have house rules you recommend?

You can see my houserules here:

https://the-awkward-companions.obsidianportal.com/wikis/common-rule-and-houserule-reminders

The other one I use, which is debated, is instead of the chart for difficulty of opposed checks use "Opposing stat minus 2, minimum 1" to determine challenge dice. This is best if using "players roll most of time" and you are concerned about it being too easy to "see through" as master deceiver, fast talk a genius etc. in mystery type scenario (e.g., Enemy Within). Adding automatic "unseen" failures into dice pools is another way to go about that (let them roll against 2 challenge and think they have success, just don't tell them there were an automatic two failures in the dice pool as well so it takes triple to get 1 success). Again, this is all mostly important in social situations.

As I said, that's debated and there's a good math analysis of it showing it is a bit goofy against lower stats.