Razorwings arriving!

By Julia, in BattleLore

Announced the third reinforcement pack: Razorwings

Interesting that they were announced so close together but not at the same time ...

In any case, I think these are the coolest-looking of the reinforcement packs. I like the hit-and-run mechanic.

Keep em coming, FFG! :D

Yes! Been waiting on the RW since play testing.

I see... sooo... is there anything else you're waiting on? :ph34r:

I see... sooo... is there anything else you're waiting on? :ph34r:

LOL. All testers are NDAed, so, sharing is not an option, only FFG can reveal projects through official announcements

I'll take that as a "Yes" :D

I just quoted the NDA. No idea of the future of BattleLore.

How many boxes of razorwings are people gong to buy?

If I get the neutrals at all, I'll probably just get one of each. I'm much more interested in the army packs. I feel like if I want neutral units, I'll go play Runewars. But the scenarios intrigue me, which is why I'd like to get one of each. But curse this X-Wing addiction!

If FFG follow up with the other neutral creatures from runewars there will be more neutral units than there were for each of the armies in the core box. If you bought enough of the reinforcement packs you could make a whole new army for the game.

True, if they go for the remaining, then it's quite a lot of guys around. I'll go with two packs each, probably, so that both factions can actually have their private giant.

If FFG follow up with the other neutral creatures from runewars there will be more neutral units than there were for each of the armies in the core box. If you bought enough of the reinforcement packs you could make a whole new army for the game.

I was thinking about that, but then, you'd still have to choose a faction or else you wouldn't have a scenario card, right? But you'd definitely be able to get 50-points worth of those units in an army.

I was thinking about that, but then, you'd still have to choose a faction or else you wouldn't have a scenario card, right? But you'd definitely be able to get 50-points worth of those units in an army.

Yes, but there is nothing forbidding you to deploy only neutral units (even if the Scenario is a D or U scenario)

An all neutral army would be a lot of fun - might get a little fussy on the Lore deck side of things, but definitely fun.

Do I have to buy at least 2 of these packs for use in a base game scenario? If I just buy 1 pack, and both players want to use it during the secret army building phase, how can it be decided who gets them? (You couldn't decide it before the army building starts as that defeats the purpose of building an army in secret). Will there be official rules that cover this conflict? Realistically, it seems that if you want to play anything other than the one off scenario, you have to buy multiple copies; otherwise they are pretty useless?

Ultimately, I would much prefer Fantasy Flight just did faction specific army packs (like Scorn and Guardians). It not only keeps the play style of each side 100% unique, it eliminates confusion as to who owns what units. (What colour should I paint the Razorwing base even...?)

I'd hardly say these are "pretty useless" on their own. I play this game almost entirely with my son, and we've decided how we'll handle the neutral units since we're not likely to buy more than one each. After scenario cards have been chosen and revealed, but before army building, the 2nd player will have his choice of one neutral unit, then the 1st player can pick one, and so on. Choosing a unit in this way doesn't force you to actually deploy it, so maybe a player chose the Dragon but won't actually put it out, so you don't know for certain. He's just added it to his pool of available units for army building.

Won't be much of a system until the dragon and giant arrive, but it's a simple way to decide who gets to use a limited pool of neutral units that works for us. We also like that these guys are limited in quantity and "hard to get". If it's really a big issue for you, save up and get duplicates?

As for painting, I did all my bases a uniform green/grass so it's not an issue for me, but I assume you could come up with a common base for the neutral units if you want to keep them different from the Daqan/Uthuk.

I'd hardly say these are "pretty useless" on their own. I play this game almost entirely with my son, and we've decided how we'll handle the neutral units since we're not likely to buy more than one each. After scenario cards have been chosen and revealed, but before army building, the 2nd player will have his choice of one neutral unit, then the 1st player can pick one, and so on. Choosing a unit in this way doesn't force you to actually deploy it, so maybe a player chose the Dragon but won't actually put it out, so you don't know for certain. He's just added it to his pool of available units for army building.

Won't be much of a system until the dragon and giant arrive, but it's a simple way to decide who gets to use a limited pool of neutral units that works for us. We also like that these guys are limited in quantity and "hard to get". If it's really a big issue for you, save up and get duplicates?

As for painting, I did all my bases a uniform green/grass so it's not an issue for me, but I assume you could come up with a common base for the neutral units if you want to keep them different from the Daqan/Uthuk.

Hmmm, that seems like a pretty good compromise actually. I'd like it a whole lot better if it was part of the official rules, but if isn't, I'll be using this system for sure. You're right in that it'll only be workable when the other neutral units are released, but at least I can now plan for this. I was thinking about passing on the neutral units, but now FF gets the sale after all. Thanks :)

An old Topic, but a question I have looking at the razorwings. Like I don't own them, I never played'em or against them. I thougt they were a 8-point unit. Just saw they are only 6 points. Aren't they way of OP?

1. they are the only unit who doesn't need a crown to get a token-effect (stun)

> so they get the "Vigilance"-ability of the Riverwatch-Riders and the "executioner"-ability of the dead knights for free!!!

> and it is the strongest token effect in the game (stun)

2. With flying they have a second extraordinary ability with strong effect on defense an mobility

I feel like they are stronger than any other 6-point unit. So my question to them who own them: aren't they an auto-include in every army, regardless on which fraction or the scenario?

Edited by phalgast

They look really nice. I bought two packs and use them for Descent 2 too

An old Topic, but a question I have looking at the razorwings. Like I don't own them, I never played'em or against them. I thougt they were a 8-point unit. Just saw they are only 6 points. Aren't they way of OP?

1. they are the only unit who doesn't need a crown to get a token-effect (stun)

> so they get the "Vigilance"-ability of the Riverwatch-Riders and the "executioner"-ability of the dead knights for free!!!

> and it is the strongest token effect in the game (stun)

2. With flying they have a second extraordinary ability with strong effect on defense an mobility

I feel like they are stronger than any other 6-point unit. So my question to them who own them: aren't they an auto-include in every army, regardless on which fraction or the scenario?

Sorry if I'm bumping that question but I really would apreciate to some opinions...

Edited by phalgast

Your comparison in 1 is wrong. They get to stun only if they advance - meaning they have to kill or rout their target first

Your comparison in 1 is wrong. They get to stun only if they advance - meaning they have to kill or rout their target first

Exactly. And you can avoid having other units stunned by clever placing of the units so that the advancing Razorwings have only the originally targetted unit to be affected by stun. Plus, it's not like this ability comes for free: you need to roll flags and meet certain conditions.

Also, having a 3-figure unit coming at the cost of a Legend is kinda odd, usually Legends are single figures, and have more than 3 life.

Are Razorwing strong? Sure. But they are on the Elite level, not so sure I'll pick them up if Rune Golems are available and I have to defend VP banners in buildings, for example

Also, having a 3-figure unit coming at the cost of a Legend is kinda odd, usually Legends are single figures, and have more than 3 life.

I am not sure what you are talking about. Razorwing muster cost is 6. Pretty much like any other 3-figure Elite.

I am not sure what you are talking about. Razorwing muster cost is 6. Pretty much like any other 3-figure Elite.

Phalgast said he'd have expected Razors to cost 8, like Legends, and I said that Razors has 3 life, while 8-cost units (Legends) usually have a higher hit point value (Chaos Lord has 6, for example).