Organizing a Tournament - Going the extra mile

By Klutz, in X-Wing

In the past, our tournament organization has been pretty casual. The highest turnout we've had is around 16 people, so everyone pretty much knows each other and there's never been any conflict. People just kind of show up, there's not really any official registration (I actually forgot to pay the 5$ the store was charging once...) or validation of people's squads before the first round. Tables aren't numbered, it's kind of a free-for-all each round as people work out who's going to play where and try to minimize movement.

Recently, we've been having more and more people show up, with one person driving over 2h to come in from out of town for the latest Store Championships and at least another person who has said they'll be doing the same at the next one.

Which brings me I'm acting as TO for a Store Championship this weekend where we're expecting 20 people and I want to make the organization a little more official. Which is why I'm wondering:

What are some things organizers have done at tournaments you've attended that you really appreciated?

Here's what I have planned at the moment:

• Have printed copies of the Rule Book, FAQ and Tournament Rules
  • Have prepared rulings for the most common questions that are currently in need of a FAQ entry
  • Validate everyone's Squad List as they sign up
    • Have printed Squad List Sheets for people who don't show up with one
    • Or, if a printer is available on site, print out 2 copies of everyone's squad list, one "master" and one to hand to show your opponent
  • Printed Tournament Score Sheets for everyone
  • Pens
  • Numbered tables with signs
  • Full screen timer on the laptop, with shout outs after 20, 40, 50 and 55 minutes (60 min rounds)
  • 2 assistant TOs, since I'll be participating
  • Latest Cryodex for managing scores and match-ups, with the X-Wing TO iPhone app to validate results
    • Have both assistant TOs validate each round's results
  • Print out current standings during the 30 to 45 min lunch break
  • Play Star Wars music!

Anything else that can help the tournament run smoother and/or make it more enjoyable for everyone?

Edited by Klutz

The only thing I can think of is having Star Wars music playing on the sound system. :)

Good job!

OH.....well....maybe organize a pizza deliver? Have people pay in advance for half a pizza. Go simple. Either peperoni or cheese. Find out how much a pizza is and split it in half. Have it delivered right when lunch would start. That might make things easier, but that's the extra mile.

Our TO makes hot cocoa. :D

Your list is great, and it sounds like the kind of tournament anyone would be happy to participate in.

The only thing I can think of is having Star Wars music playing on the sound system. :)

Good job!

OH.....well....maybe organize a pizza deliver? Have people pay in advance for half a pizza. Go simple. Either peperoni or cheese. Find out how much a pizza is and split it in half. Have it delivered right when lunch would start. That might make things easier, but that's the extra mile.

Hah! Definitely added the Star Wars music to the list, don't know how I forgot that :P

Pizza delivery might be tricky... The store that's hosting is in a shopping mall.

And, while I do have 30-45min of "lunch break" on my schedule, that's mostly there to compensate for any set backs that might happen. In a similar vein, I'm telling everyone to show up at 8:30am so we can start at 9 o'clock, but I scheduled my stuff around a 9:15 start.

If anyone's interested, here's the schedule for the day.

pEXsW3b.jpg

The "Advertised" schedule is basically what I'm telling people on FB (start at 9am, and no lunch break).

The "Planned" schedule gives some leeway for any unplanned set backs.

Also, I spent a couple hours making these last night so I thought I'd share.

Here are the home made signs that will serve for marking the tables - each one with the outline of a different ship! :P

Cf8RK3Lm.jpg

Haha, that's awesome!

This is actually the first time this particular store is hosting a tournament, and I've never been there so I don't know what kind of space they have available.

If they have a microwave I'll look into getting some hot chocolates for the next tourney - especially if it's 20 below outside!

My FLGS ordered random Star Wars swag off Think Geek and raffled them off.

Folks really wanted that plushie Star Destroyer.

1. Let them know when you start how many rounds until the cut.

2. Let them know in advance when (if) you plan on a food break, and for how long....

3. To save time early, let people know to bring in printed off squad lists....

Your list is great, and it sounds like the kind of tournament anyone would be happy to participate in.

Haha, was going to write this then seen your comment.

Looks like it's going to be a great tournament.

Make sure you play normal music too, listening to epic Star Wars music all day can get a bit tiring.

Has anyone attended a tournament where the store provides all the mats?

If so, what are they made of?

We've been using mats provided by the players, and I'm wondering what costs would be involved if a store wanted to buy 10+ mats so everyone plays on the same surface.

Before the event you should be going over the expectations of play that each player is going to be held to. Also instructing players to check thier damage decks before the event, and to count them after each round.

I kids you not in an 18 person event 6 people's decks were found to be incorrect before the event had started.

We've been using mats provided by the players, and I'm wondering what costs would be involved if a store wanted to buy 10+ mats so everyone plays on the same surface.

There are also much fancier Star Map variants, but then you're adding at least $20-30 per map to your costs.

The cheapest option I've seen are yoga mats. Amazon sells a 36"x72" mat for about $25 that can be sliced into two 36x36 mats. They're a good, grippy surface.

There are also much fancier Star Map variants, but then you're adding at least $20-30 per map to your costs.

Oh, I know the options available to players, I have a mat of my own - but I'm looking for options if a store wanted to get 10+ mats. I don't think I'd be able to convince them to invest 125$ for 10 mats...

I sent an inquiry to a local print shop to know how much a 36"x36", black and white print on the cheapest possible paper would cost. I'm not sure that'd be a fun surface to play on though.

What do FFG use at Worlds when they have over 100 players?

Wasn't each flight this year 128 players? That's 64 mats!

Edited by Klutz

Paper printed star fields.

Paper printed star fields.

Do they work relatively well?

Are they all beat up after a few rounds?

Are they super slippery and annoying to play on?

The stores I've been use a combination of their in-store mats and player's mats. Using mats brought in by players is fine, just make sure you measure them to make sure they are 36"x36" and make sure that mats stay on the same table and that players can't choose which mat they want to play on.

You could also get a 36"x 12,000" roll of Kraft paper at Wal-mart for $50 and just cut out 36" sections and tape it down to the table and then throw it away at the end of the day, that's enough paper for 330 mats.

Pizza delivery might be tricky... The store that's hosting is in a shopping mall.

I worked as a pizza delivery guy for 15 years, delivered to malls all the time.

It is a little annoying to deliver inside a mall though, so the tip should be a bit higher.

Saw it mentioned above. Validate everyones damage deck. Went to a tourney a while back and the TO asked to look at my cards. I had 4 extra in my deck, 3 being direct hits. Looks like your efforts are going to make it an enjoyable day for your players.

Vitamin I! Dat profen doe.

Also, hats off to those who do more than is required.

Saw it mentioned above. Validate everyones damage deck. Went to a tourney a while back and the TO asked to look at my cards. I had 4 extra in my deck, 3 being direct hits. Looks like your efforts are going to make it an enjoyable day for your players.

The TO in my area was talking to another TO he knows, in a recent tournament one of the players had a deck with ZERO Double damage crits. Said player was given the chance to put them back into the deck, could not produce them.

This looks like it will be a smoothly run, balls-out-insanely-fun tournament and I wish I could attend.

All your points are good, but for me, these are a must:

• Validate everyone's Squad List as they sign up
  • Check damage decks
  • Printed Tournament Score Sheets for everyone
  • Numbered tables with signs
  • Full screen timer on the laptop, with shout outs after 20, 40, 50 and 55 minutes (60 min rounds)
  • Print out current standings during the 30 to 45 min lunch break
  • Play Star Wars music! (Imperial march during the "award ceremony" !!!!)

Be familiar with cryodex.

Instead of taking 20 minutes to verify 20 players damage decks, just remind all your players to verify their opponent's damage decks at the beginning of each round. Saves time and you can trust players to do a good job because they have a vested interest in making sure their opponent is playing fair.

Instead of taking 20 minutes to verify 20 players damage decks, just remind all your players to verify their opponent's damage decks at the beginning of each round. Saves time and you can trust players to do a good job because they have a vested interest in making sure their opponent is playing fair.

Of course, there's no way I'm verifying 660* cards :P

*That's 33 x 20

Edited by Klutz

verdict:

really nice event, decent turnout of 14 players. The store handed out 3 $20 vouchers on top of the kit prizes.

We had to use double slim tables with a gap between them, but another player thought of bringing and taping thin panels to act as a smooth bridge and it worked wonderfully.

(and I won! /gloat)