What do I need to play?

By filliman, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to get into Warhammer Fantasy after doing my time in 40k.

What books do I need?

What other specialty stuff do I need?

What do I need to know?

And the most important question...

Can you play as one those Marauders?

To be able to play you basically need the core box. It contains everything to get started.

Would recommend the four boxes below as they cover all the chaos gods and gives a lot of options for the players, so these are almost a must have.

Omens of War - Combat focused characters and Khorne

Winds of Magic - Magic users and Tzeentch.

Signs of Faith - Priests and Nurgle,

Lure of Power - Social characters and Slaneesh,

In the rules there's no specific support for playing marauders, but if you want to play chaos characters there are plenty of stuff that makes it possible.

For example if a player creates a thug character and asks the GM to give it a mutation, it does seem like it's a marauder character.

Or each player character could have a mark of one of the chaos gods. So creating characters for a chaos themed campaign would not be hard.

Mutations are included in the Winds of Magic box, and the different marks of chaos are included in the different boxes above.

Edit: Oh, and you need the physical products. The boxes contain a lot of stuff not included in the PDF books such as cards, careers, standups and other bits needed to play.

Edited by k7e9

Thank you. What books are in the core box? And what are these little bits I need? I have a bunch of PDFs which is why i'm asking.

You'll need the cards as well if you have the PDFs. The PDFs were released as incomplete rules with pretty much just the fluff.

You'll also need dice, or an online dice roller (there are many of these).

jh

Got a dice roller. I would assume the cards are sold somewhere separately? Would FFG have them? And are the PDFs usable, or did I goof?

Did you get the 2nd edition or the 3rd edition of the game? I think the people above are assuming you purchased the 3rd edition.

The second edition of the game did not use cards. The PDFs are all you need.

The third edition had notes on each of the book's pages on OneBookshelf that said it was not a complete package.

My sugestion aswell is to get the second edition.

Its also quite similar in character creation

Black crusade: STR: 2D10 roll + 30

WHFRPG 2nd: STR: 2D10 roll + 20

See the similarities?

If you were coming from SW Edge o t empire i'd say: "pick 3 edition, it has a lot of weird and colourfull dice to!." But since you are comming from the 40k RPGs i say: Go with second edition!

Get Tome of corruption and Sigmars Heirs from 2nd edition. (Even if you pick 3d edition, there is so much good chaos stuff/ awesome Empire background stuff that you can put to good use.) You'll thank me later.

Edited by Robin Graves

Well I did get third, I never could find second.

Thank you. What books are in the core box? And what are these little bits I need? I have a bunch of PDFs which is why i'm asking.

http://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-core-set-fantasy-flight-games/1102179331?ean=9781589946965

If you're in the US, that is the only retail place I know of where you can buy the core set for less than MSRP. Yes, it's 90 bucks and is expensive. I absolutely think it's worth it, though. You want to buy the core box. The expansions are all out of print, but can be found marked down pretty cheaply on places like Amazon, online book sellers, etc.

Here's your basic rundown:

Main expansions (each of these contains several new careers, new actions cards, new talents, new wounds and other special cards, and cardboard standups for creatures along with new rules and components for those rules, fluff related to the expansion theme, and an adventure)

Adventurers Kit (action cards for adding a 4th player, new careers and actions)

Signs of Faith (expanded/full rules for priest characters, rules for disease, rules for potion making, Nurgle monsters)

Winds of Magic (expanded/full rules for wizards, rules for corruption, Tzeench monsters)

Omens of War (rules for horse riding, martial careers, serious wound rules, Khorne monsters)

Lure of Power (rules for noble characters, social combat, Slaanesh monsters)

Heros Call (rules for high level chaacters, new starting races, using the special dice to resolve an entire encounter outcome (high level monsters)

Black fire Pass (rules new dwarf careers, crafting rules)

Creatures Guide (big bestiary of monsters, good to buy in pdf)

Creatures Vault (standups and cards for all of the monsters; note that the core box, signs of faith, winds of magic, the edge of night and gathering storm adventures do not come with cards for the creatures in them, but all later releases do; this comes with cards for all of the creatures in those, plus more)

Gamemasters Kit (the only additional physical parts are special cards that act like party sheets for NPCs and a mediocre GMs screen)

The second wave of guides and vaults

Players Vault: contains all of the physical bits from the core box that players would use

GM's vault: contains all of the physical bits from the core box that the GM would use, plus a booster sets worth of dice

As far as I know, if you buy the players vault and gms vault, you'd have all of the physical bits from the core box other than less dice. This may be a better buy for you if you're fine with using a dice roller and already have the rulebook Pdfs.

Players Guide: much more well written version of the core rules, plus rules for playing without the physical bits using the signs of faith, adventurers toolkit, and winds of magic expansion. Worth having in PDF. Doesn't cover ALL of the core rules.

GMs guide: more well written version of the core rules that has the rest of the rules from the core game plus the adventure from it.

If you can't find the core set and don't mind using an electronic dice roller (there's an official iphone app), buy the gms vault ( http://www.amazon.com/Warhammer-Fantasy-RPG-Masters-Vault/dp/1589947258 ), players vault ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/158994741X/ref=pd_aw_fbt__t_2?refRID=04H4SKTPR8FV751NP9RK ), and the pdfs of the players guide and GMs guide. Don't bother buying the core book pdfs, as the gms guide and players guide are much better and have the same information and more.

The Adventures:

Most of these are okay to buy in PDF but will be missing some components that are used such as special event trackers or special cards for the NPCs.

Advice on PDFs:

The only PDFs that aren't missing things from the physical release are the players, gms, and creature guides. Everything else is missing components from the physical release and is only worth having in PDF if you want an electronic copy in addition to the physical copy.

So if you've already got the core book PDFs, that's fine, just buy the players and gms vault. If you bought the PDFs for the expansions, you're kind of SOL, because you need the components to utilize most of the new rules in them.

What PDFs did you buy?

And you want to play as marauders, yes?

http://www.kalevalahammer.com/p/page1.html?m=1

I think these house rules would allow you play as chaos worshipping marauders. If you