The Iron Throne and The Dominance Phase

By kneedles, in General Discussion

In first ed, there were four cards called "The Iron Throne". Each was different, but at the core level this card game is simulating controll over the Iron Throne of Westeros. Now, I played L5R back in the day, and they had a mechanic called "The Imperial Favor" which represented the control at court.

Using a similar idea, what if while you were deckbuilding you picked a version of the throne to use if you win dominance?

For example, if I win dom I stand my version of the Iron Throne and then can kneel it to use the effect at anytime. Other cards would not be able to affect it, sort of like a house card or agenda, unless they specifically mentioned the "throne" trait. If someone else wins dom, all other thrones in play become knelt if standing, and then the player that won stands their throne.

This makes the dominance phase important, but mabye most thrones let you kneel them to claim a power or draw a card, and then mabye another variable ability. Lany now can cancel abilities, a Targ one may let you initiate another power challenge, Stark may let you stand a defender, etc.

For however many cards they had in first ed, I think this could be an interesting idea. Some thrones could be neutral, but faction specific ones could be added later. It makes the Dominance Phase more interesting, and could affect deckbuilding similar to how agendas work.

I think this is a great idea. The core set could simply have the neutral throne that replicates what it does now: Claim a power.

By itself it would give a slight advantage over winning dominance in 1st edition in that you could claim the power later, so it is vulnerable for a shorter period of time.

Later releases could have house specific thrones that play to their advantages.

Legend of the Five Rings and A Song of Ice and Fire share a lot of things in common, setting-wise. Feuding families, courtly intrigues pulling the strings of war... a Wall keeping horrible things out of the kingdom.

Edited by MarthWMaster

There are a lot more cards called The Iron Throne in 1st ed, if you count the CCG (and since compatibility with the CCG is a big part of why AGoT needs a reboot, it should count). There are 20 different versions of The Iron Throne, which is, by far, the most any card has.

Apparently it's never too early to fantasize about cards that probably will never exist.

Apparently it's never too early to fantasize about cards that probably will never exist.

We're on a board set up for the express purpose of discussing the game, aren't we? What do you think the game will consist of, if not cards? :P

EDIT: The correct answer of course is "Tokens," because this is a Fantasy Flight property.

Edited by MarthWMaster

If you're discussing cards that don't exist, then you're pretty much "not" discussing the game IMO