Kustom field generator

By revloring, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Rules Questions

I have read multiple scenarios where this card was played. I was wondering clarification regarding armorbane. the card says when an orc unit is assigned damage i.e. catos blade exhaust this support to prevent all that damage. then deal that amount of indirect damage to any number of orc units. so the initial damage was prevented so no armorbane here after. that's my question I guess the fact of the initial damage is prevented. Any clarification would be great figured I would go to the source.

Thanks guys

This isn't really the source, as FFG don't post here. You're likely to get an answer from one or more playtesters though, which is almost as good.

I strongly suspect that you're correct - I see no reason why the Armorbane property would be transitive to the indirect damage from Kustom Field Generator.

Armorbane actually does apply during the indirect damage from KFG, but not for the reason you are probably thinking.

The text on KFG is: " Reaction: After an [Ork] unit you control is assigned damage by an attack , exhaust this support to prevent all of that damage. Then, deal an amount of indirect damage equal to the damage prevented among [Ork] units you control at the same planet as the defender."

The "by an attack" wording becomes very, very important in this context. It means that the indirect damage for KFG will always take place DURING the attack of the original unit. Here's how the timing plays out:

A. Attack is initiated / Unit is declared as an attacker.

B. Attacking player chooses an Ork unit as the defender.

C. Attack damage is dealt.

C.1. Attack Damage is assigned to defender

C.1.a. KFG reacts, preventing all attack damage assigned in C.1.

C.1.b. "Then" effect of KFG kicks in and indirect damage is dealt.

C.1.b.i. Indirect damage is assigned.

C.1.b.ii. Indirect damage is shielded

C.1.b.iii. Indirect damage is placed on units

C.2. Attack damage is shielded (unsuccessful, since it was all prevented in C.1.a.)

C.3. Attack damage is placed on defender (0 damage placed, since it was all prevented in C.1.a.)

D. Attack ends.

This is a very long way of saying that the indirect damage from KFG is nested inside the attack. The attacking unit does have the status of "attacking" through the entire thing, even though all of its damage was prevented in reaction to its being assigned.

Why is this important? Because of the definition of Armorbane, which says, "While a unit with the Armorbane keyword is attacking , the opposing player cannot use shields to prevent damage." This means that even though the indirect damage from KFG is not being dealt by an Armorbane source, an Armorbane unit is attacking while it is being dealt. If the unit declared as an attacker in A has Armorbane, no shields can be played in C.1.b.ii.

BTW, this is the same reasoning behind why Armorbane and AoE combine, even though AoE is not attack damage.

ok that being said why does it work with zarathur like it was a second attack . the wording is tuff on this one cause like indomitable it prevents all damage from an attack . but if you use kfg with zarathur it adds 1 to the initial attack damage being dealt and then too every indirect damage being dealt

That's based on Zarathur's text, which is, " Interrupt: When damage is assigned to an enemy unit at this planet, increase that damage by 1." Zarathur doesn't interrupt and increase attack damage; he interrupts and increases ALL damage, no matter what the source. Basically, since KFG isn't "moving around" the damage from the attack, but rather dealing new damage of its own, Zarathur gets a second shot to increase it.

So, assuming Zarathur is at the same planet as the attack being described in the earlier post, Zarathur can interrupt C.1 (before KFG is triggered) to increase the amount of attack damage assigned by 1. That damage will be prevented as part of C.1.a. and thus included in the amount of indirect damage that has to be assigned in C.1.b.

Then, all the indirect damage assigned in C.1.b.i. is also damage assignment taking place at the same planet as Zarathur. So he can also interrupt each assignment in C.1.b.i., adding 1 to the damage taken by each unit receiving some piece of the indirect damage. (Keep in mind that this +1 damage isn't bound by the limit saying the amount of indirect damage assigned to a unit cannot exceed its current remaining HP.)

Would that mean that I could assign 3 indirect damage to one 5HP unit using the Field Generator and my opponent's Zarathur would increase each damage by one, killing my unit, or still only once?

Only once. When you deal the indirect damage from KFG to a unit, you are assigning 3 damage once, not 1 damage 3 times. So there is only 1 "damage is assigned to an enemy unit" for Zarathur to interrupt, not 3.

But back to my original statement the damage is prvented then ( your words ; a new attack is created with inderect damage being dealt ) so the initial armorbane damage attack is prevented thus making a new damage value that would not continue the armorbane being a new attack value so for role playing sake the force field absorbed the missle but on impact the shrapnell made it threw but a guy with armor would deflect any opossing damage

( your words ; a new attack is created with inderect damage being dealt )

Nowhere do I say the indirect damage is a "new attack." It is a new assignment or damage effect , but it is not a new attack (supports cannot attack, after all...).

the initial armorbane damage attack is prevented thus making a new damage value that would not continue the armorbane being a new attack value

No. I must not have explained myself very well because this is the complete opposite result of what I said above.

"Armorbane" is not a characteristic of the attack damage. It is a play restriction that says players cannot use shield cards while a unit with the Armorbane keyword is attacking. So it doesn't matter whether or not the source of the damage has the Armorbane keyword. What matters is whether or not a unit with the keyword is attacking while the damage is being assigned, shielded, etc. (whether that unit is the source of the damage or not).

What I outlined above is that when KFG prevents the damage assigned by an Armorbane unit, it's own indirect damage is dealt while that unit is still attacking. Therefore, shields cannot be used against the indirect damage, event though KFG does not, itself, have the Armorbane keyword.

The better role playing example is a flamethrower against a force screen. The screen redirects the flames, but it doesn't stop them from burning the people they splash.