Trothael's idea for a new format [Raid Style]

By Trothael, in Hollow Bastion

The rules aren't completely finished yet, so I'll post what I can for now.

Now, anybody familiar with the WoW TCG will probably see where I got the general idea for this format.
When I came up with this idea I was thinking "Xaldin was a fairly difficult fight in KH2, and they'll never be able to carry over that level of difficulty from the game to make things balanced and fair..." and then I noticed my Raid deck for WoW TCG. Suddenly: IDEAZ!

The idea behind it is:
3 players pit their decks against one 'Boss' player. The 3 player's will be using standard KH TCG decks, with some added effects to their player cards and certain Friend and Magic cards, whereas the 'Boss' player will be using either one deck made extensively of Heartless and another deck made of special "Effect" cards and World cards. Now, to counter-act 3 players all vying to take down the 'Boss', the 'Boss' is going to be hard as nails.

Instead of being an Aggro or WR focussed game, this game is going to focus on JoaT for the 'Party', however, it is possible to play it with Aggro and WR, but not all Aggro or all WR.

The 'Party' will have to World Race to World Count 13 to actually strike blows against the 'Boss'. Since the 'Boss' will probably want to disadvantage them, this is where the Heartless deck comes into play. Every turn the 'Boss' will draw a number of Heartless, and play as many as possible in order to slow down the 'Party'. Each player in the Party will be trying to get to World Count 13 individually, however, if any of the player's is on the same World as one of the Party members, then they can help to clear Heartless from both their World and their ally's.

Once World Count 13 is reached, then that player can proceed to either help out his/her fellow Party members to help them get to the same World Count, by clearing Heartless on their Worlds or playing Worlds in their World Zones to bump up their World Count.

Of course, the Boss will also be a combat monster. And the 'Effect/World' deck will also be disadvantegeous to the Party. By playing World cards on the player's World Zones then the Boss may be able to change the Worlds to his advantage i.e playing more Heartless, getting certain effects. The effect cards are something I'm still working on.

Now, it's probably slightly pre-mature to be asking for opinions, but if you have an opinion on what I've written thusfar then PLEASE tell me. Also, if there's anyone who wants to collaborate on this with me then again; TELL ME.

Is this sorta like what they do in WoW tcg with the special Raid Decks?

Yes, as I made mention of in the second paragraph of my post.

Yes...apparently SOMEONE (ecomics) doesn't read things thouroghly enough, lol.

Anywho, I really find this format intriguing...I'd love to playtest it, but I'm not sure how well that would work over the net. :(

WayToTheDawn said:

Anywho, I really find this format intriguing...I'd love to playtest it, but I'm not sure how well that would work over the net. :(

Before I run the first playtests with other players, I need to sort out the turn order.

As for online playtesting, I reckon using a forum would be better. It's slower, but records everything better.

WayToTheDawn said:

Yes...apparently SOMEONE (ecomics) doesn't read things thouroghly enough, lol.

Its summer..I'm not supposed to read XD

...this sounds like a fun format since most of the games played are just the same decks against eachother...this will add some originality to it.

Ecomics21 said:

...this sounds like a fun format since most of the games played are just the same decks against eachother...this will add some originality to it.

Well, since I'm ripping the concept and style from another TCG entirely, it's hardly original.

However; I hope it will make a nice change from the regular flow of the TCG, if even for a while.

As of now, I'm working on one boss and party for playtesting, and they shall be the traditional KH1 boss: Xehanort. The party shall consist of Sora and Riku, since there is no suitable 3rd player, there shall be more than one Sora and/or Riku for this and this alone.

Original for this TCG in the sense that every game isn't just Soul Eaters being thrown at eachother.

Ecomics21 said:

Original for this TCG in the sense that every game isn't just Soul Eaters being thrown at eachother.

Aha, very true. Of course, this format can't be used competively for obvious reasons :P However, it should be good fun.

Just reposting the Trinity effects we discussed.

1) If everyone is on the same World (Name and Level) then each Player gains 1 hp during his/her discard phase.

This one will make the Boss think about playing a different world to interrupt this effect, but the boss should be aware that it will help the player as it will recover 1 HP to him/her as well as allow the player to be closer to 13 worlds so that he/she can help the other players.

2) If all Players have Dark cards on their Worlds then whenever they are challenged by the Boss, all three of their base attack stats are added together and act as the base stat of the challenged player.

This effect will cause the Boss to think about how he/she should actually place his/her Dark cards. "Should I put them on all worlds to slow them all down or just 1 or two so the effect won't activate?"

3) If there are no Dark cards on any Player's World then each of the Boss's discard phases, he/she loses -1 HP.

This causes the boss to "have" to play Dark cards at the risk of losing HP.

Update time:

I'm considering having the boss in form cards. For example:
Xehanort:
Form 1 - Riku Possessed
Atk 12, 12 HP. Players must have reached at least World count 5 to challenge.
Effects undecided

Form 2 - Xehanort
Atk 14, 15 HP. Players must have reached at least World count 9 to challenge.

Form 3 - Final Xehanort
Atk ?, HP ?. Players must have reached at least world count 13 to challenge.

Now, this system is closer to the WoW TCG raid system where the boss' go through various forms before being finally finished off. Now, this style of bass battling poses more entertainment during the mid-game, along with a difficult battle in the end-game and forces the players to focus on both being able to defend themselves as well as world race.

Things I'm still working on:

Boss Effect Deck and Heartless Deck
Trinitys

This post was twice the length of this but I accidentally deleted the whole of it -_-' Wait until my next update for a more informative post.

DUN DUN DUN UPDATE TIME!

I've done a tad more work, and I think it's ready for playtesting. I NEED 3 PLAYERS WHO CAN BE ONLINE AT THE SAME TIME FOR UP TO 2 HOURS TO PLAYTEST THIS FORMAT.

I'll be logging the entire thing so that I can look at it later to make some rules tweaks/balance issues. I can pretty much do any time to be the Boss, but I need 3 Light players to beat me D:

Trothael said:

DUN DUN DUN UPDATE TIME!

I've done a tad more work, and I think it's ready for playtesting. I NEED 3 PLAYERS WHO CAN BE ONLINE AT THE SAME TIME FOR UP TO 2 HOURS TO PLAYTEST THIS FORMAT.

I'll be logging the entire thing so that I can look at it later to make some rules tweaks/balance issues. I can pretty much do any time to be the Boss, but I need 3 Light players to beat me D:

Anytime before Wednesday!

Trothael said:

DUN DUN DUN UPDATE TIME!

So what happened..do you still need a thrid???Also CB isn't here any more until August

BDC said:

So what happened..do you still need a thrid???Also CB isn't here any more until August

Yeah, I think we'll have to wait for him to get back to playtest, unless someone'll fill his slot. And yes, I still require a third playtester.

I might be interested in this. I've scraped all of my previous decks so far but I could make a new one to playtest this.

It seems kinda like a fun idea.

I'm just not 100% clear on the rules though.

If I'm one of the Light players and I play Monstro level 1, how is that going to affect the Boss? Does it only affect him when I challenge him? Or maybe it doesn't affect him at all because I'm challenging him on his world and not my own? Does it even affect him at all?

And as for when it says "you need world level X in order to challenge", does that mean that all of the world levels of all players, combined, equals or exceeds world level X, or does that mean that at least one player needs a personal total of 5?

Also, let's say I'm Aggro and I'm depending upon my team mates to get to world level whatever so I can unload on the boss. Do I ever have to clear off the Heartless from my world card, since I'm not trying to world race? It might be a good idea to give an aggro player a good reason to fight heartless, but maybe you already thought of that.

Just some questions.

Sluppie said:

If I'm one of the Light players and I play Monstro level 1, how is that going to affect the Boss? Does it only affect him when I challenge him? Or maybe it doesn't affect him at all because I'm challenging him on his world and not my own? Does it even affect him at all?

No. The Boss player doesn't have Friend cards, as such.

Sluppie said:

And as for when it says "you need world level X in order to challenge", does that mean that all of the world levels of all players, combined, equals or exceeds world level X, or does that mean that at least one player needs a personal total of 5?

Each player individually requires WC X to challenge, if all 3 players have reached the same WC (And are at the appropriate value to challenge), then they may sacrifice their normal challenge to perform a 'Trinity' action.

Sluppie said:

Also, let's say I'm Aggro and I'm depending upon my team mates to get to world level whatever so I can unload on the boss. Do I ever have to clear off the Heartless from my world card, since I'm not trying to world race? It might be a good idea to give an aggro player a good reason to fight heartless, but maybe you already thought of that.

If you're playing Aggro, you will have to rely on your team-mates to play World cards in your World zone for you, if you don't have as many World cards as necessary to drop one down every turn. You need to clear Dark cards from your current World to continue to ascend WC. If you've not got any Dark cards on your World, then you may battle Dark cards on another's player's World to help them out.

As ever, sorry for this double post, but it's time for a quick update.

This time round, I'm going to give everyone a sneak peak at my latest game-mechanic for Boss players, and that is the 'Kingdom Hearts' victory condition.

Now, the strongest theme behind the main villains of the KH series, is their desire to attain Kingdom Hearts and the power it holds, and I was thinking to myself about instituting that as a game mechanic for my Raid Format (Once it's complete, of course).

The basic idea behind it is something that will boost the Boss exponentially, which means that the Boss' power could directly relate to how close they are to their goals. A lazy Boss player who doesn't focus on winning will find himself- or herself easily outmatched by focussed Players seeking to bring their downfall.

This will feature most prominently in the Xemnas Boss deck I'm working on, in the form of the following:
"When a Sora or Riku Player card defeats a Dark card or Nobody card on their, or a fellow Party member's World zone, then Xemnas' stat X raises by one point".

I haven't decided which stat yet ^_^ ;; Or if that will be the final version of the Kingdom Hearts victory condition.

Now, about attaining this new victory condition:
As the Players get closer to fighting the Boss in his final form, as such the Boss should have come closer to reaching his or her goal of acquire Kingdom Hearts, and this will be done through a combination of Dark and Nobody cards, as well as World cards for the Boss player which will represent which Worlds that particular Boss has conquered in their pursuit of Kingdom Hearts.

Now, I'm not going to mention the specific details behind how this works yet, since I've only recently thought it up and I'm not too happy with the results of it yet, but a victory condition similar to this is one that I would like to implement.

Triple post ftl. Also: Bampz!

I've refined the Kingdom Hearts victory condition, changed the trinity effect conditions and some of the boss stuff.

Still need playtesters.

i can playtest if you want there are alot of cards that need consideration in this format. just of the top of my head is the boss card which is a great idea but im not getting the world card part cause what i get is that the boss can increase the light player wc by adding worlds to it, in which cause there are some mean world cards to do with that off the top of my head ia altanica lvl 3, monstro lvl 1, deep jungle lvl 3, wonderland lvl 3. those just kind of beat you in the face and tell you no. i would put limits on what can be played by the boss card just like the dark plyer and org 13 members. and im assuing it wil just be the dark/villians that become boss cards right now cause then pete would make people crap there pants with a world change of he gets +x were x is the total of the wc just off the top of my head may be to strong though maybe an average of the wc would be better.