Connection between the book and games?

By ColtsFan76, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

I received this game for "free" as part of a mystery box purchase at Pozy.com. I had my eye on it for a while and knowing we mostly have 6 players, decided to buy the 2 expansions at the same time even though I hadn't played the game yet. With my enthusiasm of the game and wanting a new series to read, I jumped on the books. i am about half way through the 3rd book.

My question is this game only appears to be loosely connected tot he books, correct? We have the places, the characters, the threat of a Wildings attack, and the shifting alliances, but that seems to be it. I almost dismissed the books thinking they were not in a Fantasy setting but some medieval alternate reality instead. There is no House Targaryen, no dragons, no magic, no Others. I would also expect to see the influence of religion n the game as well: the Seven, the old gods, the Lord of Light.

Besides streamlining the game, why were these left out? Do these not play as important of a role in the last book and a half I haven't read? (Admittedly, this long in and Targaryen is still beyond the sea). Are these elements expected to be introduced in later expansions? And while the expansions are being named in order of the books, it doesn't seem like they are adding new things from those expansion but just adding more depth as depicted in the first book.

Thoughts?

I am personally very glad that FFG did things the way they did things.

As it is now, this game will appeal to anyone. If they loaded it down with theme, then the audience would be narrowed considerably. One of the best things about A Game of Thrones (imo) is the simplicity of its mechanics. Loading up on theme would add a lot of unnecessary complications. Furthermore, I like the fact that it isn't really tied to the books very strongly because I can make up my own stuff about the different characters. I don't have any preconceived ideas.

Also, I've heard from reliable sources that the books are not something I would enjoy, so am rather happy that the game is pretty independant of them. happy.gif

AGoT has the right dosage of theme for the type of game. I wouldn't want more theme as this would change the game too much. For me there exists games that are strongly based on theme (like Arkham Horror) where the mechanics are based on the theme and games with less theme (like AGoT) where the theme is put on the mechanics.

My answers involve some spoilers (nothing too heavy)

ColtsFan76 said:

My question is this game only appears to be loosely connected tot he books, correct? We have the places, the characters, the threat of a Wildings attack, and the shifting alliances, but that seems to be it.

I disagree. I think the game captures the spirit and themes of the book magnificently. I find the game very thematic.

I almost dismissed the books thinking they were not in a Fantasy setting but some medieval alternate reality instead. There is no House Targaryen, no dragons,

This storyline is a subplot which has yet to be weaved into the main narrative. I'm not sure how FFG could have included this in the game when even they don't know how it is going to eventually tie in. The only way to include Danny's storyline would b to have it as a totally seperate game I would think.

no magic, no Others.

There is hardly any magic in the books either, so it's appropriate. The Others are represented in the wildlng attacks (they do after all come from the north.)

I would also expect to see the influence of religion n the game as well: the Seven, the old gods, the Lord of Light.

How? Religion is just something the characters in the books believe in, it's not like the Gods themselves are walking around Westeros or anything. It's not even clear if the beliefs are real or just myths. Religion doesn't appear in games like hammer of the scotts ot WW2 wargames, so I don't see why it should be in here.

Besides streamlining the game, why were these left out? Do these not play as important of a role in the last book and a half I haven't read?[q](Admittedly, this long in and Targaryen is still beyond the sea).

No, but apart from Danny these elements were not an important role in the first 3 books either I'd argue. Danny isn't in book 4, I'd be guessing she'll hit the mainland in book 6.

Are these elements expected to be introduced in later expansions? And while the expansions are being named in order of the books, it doesn't seem like they are adding new things from those expansion but just adding more depth as depicted in the first book.

I don't think there will be anymore expansions, which is a good thing. The game feels more than complete as it stands.

I might have lost some of your comments Frank with the format above.

If Targaryen still plays a minor role in the books, even beyond where I have read, then I guess it make sense that they are currently not a faction. I thought it odd they were not indluded but my doubts increased when it appeared they will have a deck in the LCG.

I realize Magic and Religion are not a major aspect of the novels. However, it played an important role in Stennis' failure at King's Landing and for the, what's his name, the commander of the lost battalion, the one with the lighting strike. It just seems that the way this 3rd book is going, there is some influence there thight might be picked up as a mechanic in the game.

The theme doesn't ooze for me, and maybe it is not supposed to. It's more like a drip. A game set in the land of Westeros than something actually linked to the novels. Perhaps I just need to wait for the LCG or the Adventure game to come out to really see a theme linked ot the books.

the books were not a very big hit in germany (can't say much about the rest of europe) as the translations was supposed to be horrid. as was noted above, i imagine they kept the theme low in order for the game to appeal to a broader audience...

Well CF,I've read all the books to date & pace that old George puts them out

I'll probably be dead before House Targaryen is restored.I would love to see a

Targaryen Expansion (hey I like little wooden Dragons sonrojado.gif ) eventhough I probably could

never manage 7 players,

I'm interested in FFG AGoT Adventure Game which fits into my gaming preferences

better than AGoT.

I do find reading the books ,for me at least carries over into the Game (Edward Starks dead,how can

I be playing him as a leader!).I've done some home brew on this Game to make it play more theme wise,

but as was mentioned it created a lot of extra time in a long game.

OD

The connection to the books is tenuous at best. AGOT is a medieval diplomacy game. The map of Westeros is used. The names of the Houses and characters are used. That's it. I adore the books, but I didn't care for this game.

Old Dwarf said:

(Edward Starks dead,how can I be playing him as a leader!).

Eddard Stark is dead! sorpresa.gif

There is very little connection with the board game and the books, and as for magic not to spoil anythign but if you read teh series you will see that there is magic, or at least its returning, and whats to say that they will not release an expansion that will will include danny,

The books are great, and what led me to the game in the first place, but I am glad that the game is independent of the storylines for one reason: The developers don't feel like they have to follow the SL in order to keep people interested in the game. I also play Legend of the Five Rings (l5r), and the SL is heavily influenced by the game and vice versa. I've known players to quit because their favorite character(s) gets killed or or something, and people get very attached to the characters.

ColtsFan76 said:

Old Dwarf said:

(Edward Starks dead,how can I be playing him as a leader!).

Eddard Stark is dead! sorpresa.gif

Yes, Ed is dead, he lost his head. Thanks to Cersei and Jaime's little brat, Joffrey.