Crafting an Inquisitor

By Gaius Iago Urbanus, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

I guess if the Inquisitor set it up for the characters to be captured by a cult and then they killed those people, but that'd make for one sick and sadistic radical inquisitor.

Really? Seems pretty standard operating procedure for an Inquisitor to me. Maybe a bit radical, but certainly not too far beyond the norm. An Inquisitor can always get more Acolytes. Hell, in the novel Deathwatch an Inquisitor sold out his own (female) Interrogator to a Genestealer Cult so that he could study the offspring.

Edited by ColArana

For a lot of players, revenge will not give any recognisable pleasure, but this will vary for every group. My torture-fond GM banked on the hope that revenge would be sought - it wasn't. We were just bitter that our hopes of heroicism were shattered.

Yet, again, the session might work as long as you give the players choice and opportunities within the slim chances they've got. Or use a probing telepath, it lends a degree of distance to the situation.

For a lot of players, revenge will not give any recognisable pleasure, but this will vary for every group.

In my experience players will actively pursue there torturer. I experienced this reaction in all the groups I played with and thought this to be a universal thing. Some wanted revenge in form of bodily harm, some just wanted to right the wrong done to them, some just wanted to know the reason and some wanted to turn them over to the authorities. But all of them had a reaction that could, in the broad sense of the word, be labeled revenge. It gave some kind of closure to the session.

The torture => escape => revenge theme follows the motif of a lot of horror/thriller movies (Oldboy for example) and is therefor embedded in most peoples mind. So if the heroes escape and get the better over their capturers the theme is completed and the story is told.

Vengeance is a common commodity, then again we mostly play Black Crusade these days, so.. :lol:

Hell, in the novel Deathwatch an Inquisitor sold out his own (female) Interrogator to a Genestealer Cult

That's horrifyingly disgusting on a few levels. Seems like a radical Xenos inquisitor to me.

As for pursuing torturers, pursuing an inquisitor is a quick way to get yourself a bolter lobotomy.

As for pursuing torturers, pursuing an inquisitor is a quick way to get yourself a bolter lobotomy.

Or impress the Inquisitor with your craftiness, willpower and perseverance. Depends on the Inquisitor and what he looks for in his Acolytes.

If you are willing to actually work for him is another question, but that is up to the players and the GM to figure out.

Im glad that I could help Gaius, but 3000 was enough for me because my Inquisitor is suppose to be young and less experienced as opposed to someone who has been an Inquisitor for several decades. Also the more the Acolytes played the more the I would make my Inquisitor grow.

Also the reason I make character profiles for certain NPCs is because I plan them to join the Acolytes to be in combat or assist the Acolytes during game play (only during the hardest battles or the Acolytes stumble onto something the Inquisitor will be there. For other NPCs that only are involved with narrative play I only just spit ball anything I need, also If need be just use the profiles in the core rule book.