Carriers with Fighters

By starscreem, in Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

So question about how fighters and carriers interact. Simple question really.

1) Are the fighters docked inside the carrier and launch upon landing in a hostile system.

2) Or do they just need the Carrier to exist, I.E. they can move system to system with the carrier not having to be in an actual bay.

I ask this because the question was posted if PDS fire goes off before even space battle do the fighters have time to launch from the carriers? Or are they already launched and landing in system as their own :Starship" or "Ship" and the carrier us just there for support.

Thanks

Fighters have no movement value on their own, so they can't just move from system to system alone, even if carriers are in both systems. They can only move if a carrier (or War Sun, etc) moves and takes them along. Or you can get Advanced Fighters and they can move on your own.

However, in terms of gameplay mechanics they are not considered "inside" the carrier, even while moving; they just move with the carrier transporting them. That means that after moving, if PDS shoots come in the fighters can take the damage. Also, it's worth noting that they are never really tied to any specific carrier (other than perhaps when moving, where they need something to bring them). As long as there is support in the system, they survive. That means if two carriers with 3 fighters each (and carrying nothing else) move into a system together, and one of the carriers is destroyed (such as with PDS or a Space Mine), the fighters are fine; the support level in the system is still six, so all six fighters are good.

Ground forces on the other hand are a different story. They do have to be assigned to a carrier. That way racials or ACs that target specific ships can (and do) nuke GF's while in transport.