Aim

By Kilcannon, in Game Mechanics

Aim says it adds to next combat check. Can a character use aim with melee or only with ranged weapons even though it says next combat check?

Melee, ranged, lightsaber, the hurling control upgrade to the move power. If the rules say it acts as a combat check, you can aim.

The hurling control upgrade for Move only allows aiming if you're using multiple objects against multiple opponents. Then you use all the rules for a ranged attack which includes aim.

The hurling control upgrade for Move only allows aiming if you're using multiple objects against multiple opponents. Then you use all the rules for a ranged attack which includes aim.

I disagree. "This attack" in the rules applies to the whole bit about hurling object, not just the "autofire" clause it happens to follow.

I looked at it again, because I have the upgrade and would like to be able to aim. I don't think it applies to the non auto fire application though, because it's a discipline check to accomplish. Most Force powers that damage an opponent, like harm, are automatic and don't require a seperate attack roll. I think the extra complexity comes into play when your taking the additional autofire, and does slow things down. I certainly would like to hear more interpretations on this though.

I looked at it again, because I have the upgrade and would like to be able to aim. I don't think it applies to the non auto fire application though, because it's a discipline check to accomplish. Most Force powers that damage an opponent, like harm, are automatic and don't require a seperate attack roll. I think the extra complexity comes into play when your taking the additional autofire, and does slow things down. I certainly would like to hear more interpretations on this though.

Move is a special case, in that it's a specific Control Upgrade that has you make a Discipline check with a prescribed difficulty, and treat it as a ranged attack.

So you use discipline like a ranged weapon. Interesting.

I'd say that you can use Aim as long as you're trying to hit something with something else. You could not, however, use it with Scathing Tirade, which is technically a combat check.

I'd say that you can use Aim as long as you're trying to hit something with something else. You could not, however, use it with Scathing Tirade, which is technically a combat check.

For the Control upgrade of the move power, it specifically states that it behaves like a ranged combat check, as far as I can tell, Scathing Tirade does not.

Scathing Tirade is a discrete action, not a combat check. Note the following:

• "The character may take the Scathing Tirade action ..."
  • Its difficulty is set at Average, and it's limited to short range
  • It has a prescribed use for Success & Advantage that differs from combat checks