Looting the dead = criminal obligation gains?

By RebelDave, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Hey now...I only say kill them as a last resort. :P

i am much more a favorite NPC killer than I am a character killer...

@Braendig.

I think everyone here agrees with you. I don't know if you have read all the posts from RebelDave, but his group seems pretty out of control, and does want they want. He has said that he has talked to them, and one player told him if he tries to them poor, they will just loot and steal that much more.

What they are doing is not for him. They are trying to play one game style, and he is trying to run another game style. So everyone has been giving him sound advice on how to handle things, from diplomacy, to rules, to the harsh. Diplomacy and rules don't seem to be helping him out much.

Edited by R2builder

I'm going to wade back in again.

I did have a talk with the primary problem character, and a friend (currently absent player), had a talk with another.

He sees my issues, and hopefully are going to try and work with the game, but only time will tell. Tonight will be a big tester, as they are going to proper get into Trouble Brewing (Heading to the Cantina).

So.... hope for the best!

But yes, thankyou for all the advice. It has all been assimilated ;)

Guys, I'm not sure if you realize that all of the massively punishing options you're suggesting are nothing but a recipe for the end of the campaign.

I think some is in jest...the idea of killing off the PCs and having their "souls" watch as their bodies are looted by some laughing gang tickles my dark evil funny bone...but I'd never actually do it.

He sees my issues, and hopefully are going to try and work with the game, but only time will tell. Tonight will be a big tester, as they are going to proper get into Trouble Brewing (Heading to the Cantina).

Good luck with running it. We had a lot of fun playing that one. I don't think my players will ever get the song "On the road again" to stop sounding like "On the Rodian" ever again. :D

Guys, I'm not sure if you realize that all of the massively punishing options you're suggesting are nothing but a recipe for the end of the campaign. If the GM demonstrates that despite the players spending all their game time working to accumulate this mass of wealth, it can be lost in a matter of minutes through GM fiat, what's the point of playing the game? Why make plans or plot character development if the GM can blow it all away whenever they feel like it? An RPG is supposed to be a -shared- journey, not simply rats running through a maze for the amusement/entertainment of the GM...

At the same time, actions have believable consequences.

A team that consistently kills a bunch of people, steals their **** and hoards it...if nobody is after them for revenge, it simply doesn't make sense and actions don't have consequences.

Look at it this way. You're a gang leader - maybe not a boss, but high-ranking enough to have groups working under you. One of them gets wiped out, all their **** stolen. Then another. Then another. These are living beings being killed, and gangers or not, their acquaintances in the gang and their families are going to want payback, along with the gang itself needing to send a message or risk looking weak. Ditto with the Empire if they're killing a bunch of stormtroopers and leaving a trail.

This ^ but it's Star Wars so don't need to make it as dark as dark heresy would be!

I'm not sure I'd want to play in an Edge of the Empire game in which powerful forces WEREN'T trying to kill us!

Guys, I'm not sure if you realize that all of the massively punishing options you're suggesting are nothing but a recipe for the end of the campaign. If the GM demonstrates that despite the players spending all their game time working to accumulate this mass of wealth, it can be lost in a matter of minutes through GM fiat, what's the point of playing the game? Why make plans or plot character development if the GM can blow it all away whenever they feel like it? An RPG is supposed to be a -shared- journey, not simply rats running through a maze for the amusement/entertainment of the GM...

A team that consistently kills a bunch of people, steals their **** and hoards it...if nobody is after them for revenge, it simply doesn't make sense and actions don't have consequences.

Look at it this way. You're a gang leader - maybe not a boss, but high-ranking enough to have groups working under you. One of them gets wiped out, all their **** stolen. Then another. Then another. These are living beings being killed, and gangers or not, their acquaintances in the gang and their families are going to want payback, along with the gang itself needing to send a message or risk looking weak. Ditto with the Empire if they're killing a bunch of stormtroopers and leaving a trail.

Oh, I'm not advocating against consequences... Far from it. I'm just concerned about the arbitrary and disproportionate level of response being advocated by some parties in this thread. Having them facing an army that spontaneously materializes around them or surrounding them by Imperial Customs Agents and seizing their cargo and impounding their ship are -horrible- solutions to the problem. If that's truly the only way a GM can think to counter the party's actions, perhaps it is best that the campaign be concluded. I consider it similar to the "Rocks Fall, Everybody Dies" trope.

I consider it similar to the "Rocks Fall, Everybody Dies" trope.

Which is still better than what I saw in another really odd-ball campaign. That GM used the flaming cow from the sky hits the party.

/shudder

Which is still better than what I saw in another really odd-ball campaign. That GM used the flaming cow from the sky hits the party.

/shudder

RUN AWAY!

STAR WARS...not STAR CAREBEARS...

STAR WARS...not STAR CAREBEARS...

hannibalwicket1030.jpeg

Good luck with running it. We had a lot of fun playing that one. I don't think my players will ever get the song "On the road again" to stop sounding like "On the Rodian" ever again. :D

I listen to that song when ever I have to travel through the Rockies. I don't think I'll ever be able to hear it again without thinking about this post.

Oh, I'm not advocating against consequences... Far from it. I'm just concerned about the arbitrary and disproportionate level of response being advocated by some parties in this thread. Having them facing an army that spontaneously materializes around them or surrounding them by Imperial Customs Agents and seizing their cargo and impounding their ship are -horrible- solutions to the problem. If that's truly the only way a GM can think to counter the party's actions, perhaps it is best that the campaign be concluded. I consider it similar to the "Rocks Fall, Everybody Dies" trope.

I dunno if it's disproportionate. If the Imperials are tipped off that a ship and crew are carrying a high volume of restricted or illegal weapons...that doesn't mean your characters are dead and gone. It might mean you need to have an epic breakout scene from prison - especially if you have any friends out there who want you to keep doing what you're doing. That wholly depends on you not killing everyone who disagrees with you though.

In my experience players are a lot like children. They have to be led around by their noses at times and sometimes they need to be shown there are consequences for their actions. Doesn't mean I will kill their characters though as I have so many other fun options as a GM.

In my experience players are a lot like children. They have to be led around by their noses at times and sometimes they need to be shown there are consequences for their actions. Doesn't mean I will kill their characters though as I have so many other fun options as a GM.

I have seen it compared to herding cats. No plan survives contact with the party. Improvisation is important.