Single player difficulty levels

By dizpatcher, in XCOM: The Board Game

First things first. I love this game. Tense, fast moving, unexpectedly deep. My issue is this.

I have no other people around me that are into games - not even the wife. So my option is solo play. So far I'm finding the easy level 'pretty challenging' for being 'easy.' No complaints there, I'm apparently a slow learner.

I'm getting better and at some point I'm going to want/need to play at a higher level. That will be impossible for a solo player. Difficulty rising, time still running, it just isn't going to happen.

I think that it would be nice if the development folks would allow solo players to continue to pause the game to take a few more seconds to figure the next move. So if anyone is listening; some of us, I can't be the only one, would like to eventually be able to play the upper levels solo.

That said; am I right in understanding that hitting the menu button is like hitting the pause button? If so, then I guess that makes the whole point I'm trying to make a little 'pointless'.

That assumption about the menu button is correct; isn't it?

Thanx,

dizpatcher

I just checked, opening the menu does pause the timer. Good to know.

The reason you have a separate pause timer is so that when you're playing by rules-as-written you DON'T have unlimited pause time. The fact that there are ways to break the rules doesn't change that function.

@OP: Well, let's be honest, if one were to hit the menu button to extend the timer, one might just as well turn the dice to whatever result you want while you're at it. :P

The best way to move on to normal without needing extended pause time is to figure a way to streamline your turns. Some tips if you're interested:

1. Separate your starting assets and tech cards into Phase groups. At the end of the resolution phase, I put all my resolution tech and asset cards in a pile off to the side, because I know I won't need them until the next resolution phase.

2. Get to know the invasion plans, and what tech is most helpful for those plans. For example, Onslaught presents tougher enemies and an almost always fully loaded base, but very few UFOs until the Final Mission is revealed, when suddenly they seem to flood the board. So you can make use of early research that uses up satellites to do cool stuff, since you won't have too many UFOs that need to be moved around with your Satellite Nexus until the end. You can probably do without cards like Firestorm (although it's never bad.). Instead, research the weapon tech and anything that helps keep your soldiers alive.

3. Layout your timed cards in front of you, in order of general importance. Satellite Nexus, Skyranger and Officer Training are usually the most important.

4. Keeping the budget in mind is certainly one of the toughest aspects for me in single player. I solved this by keeping the number "12" in my head every turn. That's 3 scientists, 3 satellites, 3 interceptors, and 3 soldiers to defend the base. If you want to do anything beyond that, it's gonna cost more than 12.

5. Vacuum up UFOs into orbit whenever you can with Satellite Nexus and fight them there. Always roll scientists and satellites to exhaustion. For Interceptors, roll twice and stop unless things are dire and the situation is grim, or you've got Interceptor Repair. If you don't, the buy-back on planes can bankrupt you, especially if you're losing soldiers.

6. Once the enemy deck is put together, look through it before you shuffle. Figure out how many of each icon have yellow borders, as this will tell you which soldiers are going to be doing the heavy lifting. This helps you to know which units need to be made into Elites. This also helps with knowing what techs to research. For example, if you know your Assaults aren't as important in this game, you can research Run and Gun, and keep your Assaults back so that you can use it.

I could go on and on and on, but this wall of text is too big already. :)

Edited by chiller087

The reason you have a separate pause timer is so that when you're playing by rules-as-written you DON'T have unlimited pause time. The fact that there are ways to break the rules doesn't change that function.

So I take it you solo and have done well?

So I take it you solo and have done well?

Not at all, in fact I've only just purchased my own copy. My relative inexperience doesn't change the core conceit of the game though. I'm not even sure how my success or lack of it is relevant to how the game designers intended the game to work.

I also hope that the app allow more pause time to single player games.

I'm pretty sure there is more time granted to each task depending on the number of players in the game. Also, just because you've already chosen a mission, go ahead and take the remaining time to look at the board and plan for your interceptor positions and deployment to the mission/base. Just because the timer is for a specific task, use it to allow yourself time to look at other aspects as well. Naturally, this is how the game is done with multiple people. While the scientist is deciding what to research in Bay 2, the squad commander should be looking at the enemies in the base and determining who to send. Take all the time you can for each task.