Double Bladed Lightsaber

By Kilcannon, in Game Mechanics

Can a double bladed lightsaber be wielded in one hand? If so would you allow for it to be used with both ends or limit that while wielded in one hand it can no longer be used with both ends?

There's technically nothing preventing it. It probably boils down to how big the thing is. Like if you're wielding something as small as the Inquisitor's lightsaber (from Rebels), then it's light enough to be used one-handed. But for most traditional ones, like Maul's or that one Basilisk guy in Clone Wars, it'd probably be to get the full-use out of unless you're strong enough, but you should still be capable enough to use it decently enough even if you're just activating one end of it.

In terms of how to apply rules... Maybe Cumbersome 3 or 4 gets tacked on? And then dual-wielding double-bladed knocks each of the Unwieldy traits from 3 to 4?

1) The double-bladed lightsaber and lightsaber pike are not called out as requiring two hands, whereas the electrostaff and vibro-ax are.

2) ...

tumblr_ma3guuZUJc1qfy2kdo5_r2_500.gif

...this kinda crap is awesome.

Generally speaking I'd say it's a two-handed weapon, but if a player came up with a really awesome plan/scene in an encounter that required him to wield one single-handed I'd allow it with a good pile of setback dice and/or a difficulty upgrade to reflect that it's real easy to hit yourself when doing something like that.

There is no way I'd allow it in general play, though. I just have this image of a munchkin player dual-wielding double-bladed sabers and it makes my skin crawl.

For consideration, the nature of the double-bladed Lightsaber makes it possible to ignite only one blade instead of two.

I'm going to allow it to be used one handed but make the cumbersome and unwieldy ratings jump to 4 when using one handed but attacking with only one end. If using with both ends one handed will add a setback die. I will also rule two double bladed can not be used one in each hand since that obviously is overkill and not realistic.

Thanks for everyone's input

Can a double bladed lightsaber be wielded in one hand? If so would you allow for it to be used with both ends or limit that while wielded in one hand it can no longer be used with both ends?

The weapon's description doesn't say that it requires both hands to be used, so by RAW a person could use a double-bladed lightsaber in one hand, or even dual-wield a pair of them with one in each hand.

The weapon's description doesn't say that it requires both hands to be used, so by RAW a person could use a double-bladed lightsaber in one hand, or even dual-wield a pair of them with one in each hand.

From my perspective, I would look at whether or not you can wield a staff one-handed. And yes, you can. But it’s not that effective.

I would apply the same reasoning to wielding a double-bladed lightsaber with one hand, and add setbacks, increase difficulty, etc… as appropriate.