Rolleplaying The Night Lord

By Sevatar, in Black Crusade

Hey guys this is my first post here, I am also a BC noob. I was wondering if you guys could give me any tips on rolleplaying a Night Lord CSM I would like to devote my character to one of the gods but I'm not shure how should I do this since Night Lords arent particularly devout.

Should I stay unaligned are unaligned characters weaker than those that devote thgemself to one of the dark gods?

You could always have him go tzheench and be some sort of evil batman

Unaligned if you want to play him true. If he sways to the worship of a god, consider having him join another legion. This is often what devout Night Lords do. They are still the genes of the Night Haunter, but they jump ship elsewhere. True Night Lords don't even worship Undivided, let alone a single god however, and are only CSM by virtue of their treachery and general corrupt nature over actual piety.

As far as playing one, remember, Night Lords are the bad guys of bad guys. If you aren't scaring people and causing terror, you're doing it wrong. Consider impaling live enemies on spikes or creating still scenes with dead bodies and heavy metal wire (example: create a tea party scene by wiring a bunch of dead bodies around a table with cups in their hands in the middle of various gestures of revelry to be discovered by a foe). Night Lords love causing horror, and they should definitely be more of the Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs type than some mindless Khorne Berserker.

As far as the math goes of if he would be weaker or not, it really depends on what you want. Look at how you would like to develop him, and see how much it would cost as unaligned vs devotion to a single god, and you'll have your answer.

So Victor Zsasz?

Ok thx for the tips guys these should help me allot.

the only other thing I would go with apart for Chaos batman wonderful idea and every night lord I made basically become him so I 2nd it

would be about the idea of super controlled violence makes when you more impressive when you do unleash hell and means your not on the berserkers territory

Edited by greystroke

Night Lords start unaligned, however feel free to dabble in the use of their power, just never worship them. Night Lords take from the weak, and the believers of chaos, are weak. Use of their powers though, is different. It's easy to justify 'worship' of any of the gods. Even Konrad Curze had foresight, which many night lord sorcerers aspire too, so that justify's Tzeentch worship/sorcerer role. Nurgle is the god of despair, he would undoubtedly favour a Night Lords antics who demanded his favour. Slaanesh is the god of experience, and although you only relish one particular experience, he would love your extremism and addiction too it. Khorne also, is simple enough, more blood and murder would justify him fine. Just don't (in game) worship them.

As above, your primary goal should be to create fear, this doesn't mean saying 'boo' to every NPC, but you should intimidate your way around and create he occasional horror scene for lulz.

If your in a combat situation, you should be the demo/hunter guy. Creating traps, rigging things to explode, especially things like power generators, communications arrays, ammo dumps, gene-seed storage, leaving scenes of carnage, such as eyeless corpses, flayed bodies or other various torture things. Which, in addition, should be your characters standard hobby, having a torture victim or two.

I love the night lords. Have always wanted to play one. Be careful of that fear rating though, you may drive NOCs away/insane upon meeting them.

Also, don't play the Night Lord Advanced Archetype. It's absolute garbage. By the time you'll have a Fear Rating worth a ****, the things you'll be facing won't be phased by Fear ratings.

The archetype is pretty decent. Only Terror Tactic is what needs a little tinkering. Fear is a Strong trait against a bunch of enemies. But the 2 inf. points/Fear rating and the Test makes it pricey. Houserule it... (like not 1 session but for as long as they stay the same place or against a particular enemy (same imperial guard regiment))

Edited by Athanatosz