Dose the new expansion not integrate at all?

By iLiveAGAIN, in Elder Sign

Dose the new expansion not integrate at all into the other expansions?

Like if I am reading the rules correctly you completely replace the existing room deck with the ones from this expansion as well as the location cards form the 2nd expansion or the museum front in the core set.

So dose that mean you can not use the curse and blessed dice? As those dice were mainly won as rewards or negative consequences on the room cards?

I really liked what the 2nd expansion brought and I'm a little confused as it "looks" like this expansion basically removes the 2nd one completely?

The new expansion does remove the old museum adventure cards from the base and Unseen Forces, but there are new adventures that include the blessed/cursed conditions as penalties and rewards (and when they are included, you are given a choice of 2 different sets of penalties/rewards, in case you don't own UF). There probably aren't as many opportunities to be blessed as there were with the old adventures, but I think that's a good thing.

Edited by xfoley8

Additionally, you keep in all the small cards, investigators, AOs and OWs.

Anyhoo, if you skim the main page of this very forum, you'll notice many threads about the new expansion and you can have a general better idea of what's going on with Gates of Arkham :)

The new expansion does remove the old museum adventure cards from the base and Unseen Forces, but there are new adventures that include the blessed/cursed conditions as penalties and rewards (and when they are included, you are given a choice of 2 different sets of penalties/rewards, in case you don't own UF). There probably aren't as many opportunities to be blessed as there were with the old adventures, but I think that's a good thing.

Hmm, still not sure how I feel about this.. well it is on order regardless so I'll find out soon, but it feels like a step back to me.

Arkham Horror has a ton of expansions but they are all interchangeable modules. Allowing you to mix and match to your taste. So what happens if they make a 3rd one? They have to add 2 sets in the package for people that do not have this expansion and in this expansion they need to add duel icons so the stories can be used with all the old expansions... This seams like a pretty bad idea... .. .

There are some variants floating around on Boardgamegeek that integrate the old adventure cards into the game with Gates of Arkham.

For instance, start with 3 faceup adventures cards from the museum, and 3 facedown cards from the new expansion. Then, if you solve a museum adventure card, replace it with a new faceup card from the old deck(like the regular game)

If you solve an Arkham Adventure card, replace it with a facedown card from the new deck.The old entrance cards are not used. The new entrance card's ability only affects Arkham adventures in play.

Another variant: you start the game in the museum following the old setup rules. Once you accumulate a given number of Elder Signs, remove all museum cards from play, and initiate setup of Arkham Adventures.

I have not tried these yet, but you can think of plenty of ways to make this game modular still.

Edited by zealot12

Zealot scored many good points in his post. Integrating everything shouldn't be particularly difficult, both if you want to mix stuff from the beginning or if you want to have a "campaign" a la Omens (a part in the museum, a part outside). I think the key in GoA is that there's 100% compatibility between investigators, AOs, and small cards; the way you use the Adventure and Mythos decks is consequently 100% customizable, allowing you to shape the game in the way you like the most

(which is something I expect to happen quite often, since not everyone could be ok with the new level of difficulty or with getting rid of the previous adventure cards, so that, variant, houserules, different setups and so on should start appearing as often as we had houserules to boost the difficulty for core ES)

I just received the GoA expansion today. It looks like it's a ***** to play, so I'm excited.

One of the best expansions FFG has released to date. It's a total redefinition of the game.

(which is something I expect to happen quite often, since not everyone could be ok with the new level of difficulty or with getting rid of the previous adventure cards, so that, variant, houserules, different setups and so on should start appearing as often as we had houserules to boost the difficulty for core ES)

This is the case with my friends. One played it twice and he said that he's done with GoA (not enough options to buy stuff, too many hard locations, some events). The second one played it only once and he was dismayed, though he is willing to give it a second chance.

This is the case with my friends. One played it twice and he said that he's done with GoA (not enough options to buy stuff, too many hard locations, some events). The second one played it only once and he was dismayed, though he is willing to give it a second chance.

I've only played the new expansion twice, but I found it enjoyable. Yes, it almost completely replaces the base game and first expansion, but it's still fun. In fact, this is almost a completely different game for $20. I can easily see switching between GoA and the main game when players grow tired of the one. Sure, the lack of buying options can be stressful, but the new expansion simulates a town with its varying costs of items. The rewards are fantastic: free Sanity or Stamina for completing a mission? Sure! Occasionally able to switch items between players? I'm down with that.

While it has made certain things more difficult, it's also streamlined a lot of the process.

I also like how each adventure now evokes a sense of place. In the old game, everything took place in the Museum, but the adventures themselves didn't evoke the feeling that you're actually exploring it.

Now every adventure feels contingent with the locale it corresponds to, and this contributes a lot to the richness of theme.

True. I really, really, really like the Velma's diner adventures, both for the art and the theme. You in for a bowl of hot soup? Sure, make yourself at home, there's a friend who wants to talk to you. Just reach the booth in the back, you'll be fine... *goosebumps*

True. I really, really, really like the Velma's diner adventures, both for the art and the theme. You in for a bowl of hot soup? Sure, make yourself at home, there's a friend who wants to talk to you. Just reach the booth in the back, you'll be fine... *goosebumps*

Just stay away from the "tuna fish surprise". You don't want to know why.

I'm buying "all-in" style in the game tomorrow. My FLGS have both expansions in stock but i'll have to wait for the base game before I can play. I LOVE everything H.P. Lovecraft related and will buy in this "simpler" game so I can try to convince my gf to play this with me (she love dice games, Quarriors is her favorite game despite the fact that she could puke everytime she hears about fantasy stuff...)...and I just received a freaking beefy check from my former job so... ;)