Encounter 4 Questions

By ithorian123, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game

Hi all,

In Encounter 4 of the Adventure Book, why do you add a setback die to the Mechanics check to manually disconnect the shuttle's engines? I mean, the reason that you get a setback die is because sabotaging the shuttle is noisy, but that shouldn't effect the check in and of itself. Shouldn't the check be made disregarding the fact that it's noisy, and if the check generates threat then say that the guards check out the commotion?

Basically I'm just asking: Why is there a setback die on the Mechanics check to manually disconnect the shuttle's engines in Encounter 4?

Thanks! :)

The setback die is because the characters would be trying to sabotage the shuttle without being noticed. The setback die is because there's people around and it's noisy. If there were no people in the base to investigate, then there would be no setback dice.

The setback die is because the characters would be trying to sabotage the shuttle without being noticed. The setback die is because there's people around and it's noisy. If there were no people in the base to investigate, then there would be no setback dice.

But if the characters already killed the guards on the way in, wouldn't there be no need to be quiet, thus getting rid of the setback die?

But if the characters already killed the guards on the way in, wouldn't there be no need to be quiet, thus getting rid of the setback die?

Sure, unless you've gotta worry about more patrols coming by, or electronic surveillance. I would leave the setback there, personally. Best to get in the habit of putting setbacks into as many checks as you can. It makes those talents that remove setback dice very appealing and useful.