Rapid Reload and Quick-Release Mechanism

By Ouroboros13, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

If a weapon with a normal reload value of "Full" is augmented with a Quick-Release Mechanism and used by a character with Rapid Reload, is it reloaded as a half action (because QRM can't improve the weapon past "Half") or as a free action (because the QRM makes the weapon "Half" and then Rapid Reload lets you treat "Half" as "Free")?

Thanks.

I'd rule it the latter. It can't increase the natural reload speed past half, but you can reload it even faster with the help the mechanism gives.

References,

Quick-Release:

The weapon’s reload time is reduced by a Half Action, down to a minimum of a Half Action.

Rapid Reload:

He halves all reload times, rounding down. Thus, a Half Action reload becomes a Free Action, a Full Action reload becomes a Half Action, and so on.

I agree with the good doctor, the latter.

I don't think I would allow any weapon to be reloaded as a free action unless it is a very specific weapon designed particular for this.

Edited by Alox

Wait a minute yeah, it'd be equivalent to a reaction right? Full - Half - Reaction - Free right?

Free actions and Reactions are not the same thing.

Wait a minute yeah, it'd be equivalent to a reaction right? Full - Half - Reaction - Free right?

Well first of all, Rapid Reload explicitly says that Half action reloads become Free action reloads. Secondly, reloading as a Reaction would be weird because you can't take Reactions on your turn.

(Also, I think losing your Reaction to reload is probably more of a disadvantage than losing the chance to Aim).

I don't think I would allow any weapon to be reloaded as a free action unless it is a very specific weapon designed particular for this.

You realize Rapid Reload already allows reloading a Laspistol or Bow as a Free Action?

Right, forgot that it read that way, then yeah, I'd keep my first reading.

Seems like it would indeed be a Free action.

By my reading, the weapon mod is applied first. After all, it alters the reload rate of the weapon's profile; anyone that picks up that weapon uses that new reload rate, as defined by the weapon's original - 1 half action.

Then, anyone with Rapid Reload handling a weapon with a 1 half action reload rate, treats that weapon's reload rate as being a free action.

Therefore, a weapon with a base reload rate of 1 full action gets it reduced to 1 half by the upgrade, and Rapid Reload kicks in later when that weapon is handled, and 1 half becomes 1 free action.

The joys of having a particularly skilled individual wielding a particularly specialized weapon.

The other big thing is I read the mods restriction of "to a minimum of 1 half action" of talking about how the upgrade can alter the weapon, not a hard and permanent side affect of the weapon.

What happens when it's 2Full though?

edit: nm

Edited by cps

What happens when it's 2Full though?

That's pretty clear, I think. QRM drops it to 1 Full and 1 Half, then RR halves that, rounded down, to Half. Unless I'm missing something.

Not sure if it's rounded down.

Not sure if it's rounded down.

The firing ranges and weapon drill chambers are the Acolyte’s constant abode. Hours of reloading countless magazines or power cells means that he can replace them without looking and without thinking, even in the middle of combat. He halves all reload times, rounding down. Thus, a Half Action reload becomes a Free Action, a Full Action reload becomes a Half Action, and so on.

I should really just grab my book at these times.

You realize Rapid Reload already allows reloading a Laspistol or Bow as a Free Action?

Yeah, I don't have a problem with that.

I don't really like that magazine size doesn't mean much when all the 1full weapons can be reloaded for free. Though it is not a big issue I guess, since half-action reload barely slows people down, they just don't get an aim that round.

I don't know, if people are used to weaponry they can reload, even disassemble and reassemble, at a sometimes impressively terrifying rate. They train at it for a reason.

I don't know, if people are used to weaponry they can reload, even disassemble and reassemble, at a sometimes impressively terrifying rate. They train at it for a reason.

One round is 5 secs, so half round is 2.5 secs. I would call that impressively fast. 0 secs is... well... :-)

One round is 5 secs, so half round is 2.5 secs. I would call that impressively fast. 0 secs is... well... :-)

The world record is something like firing 6 shots from a revolver, reloading it, and firing another 6, all in under 3 seconds. Reloading as a free action is fine.

This not really comparable with getting heavy weapons, like autocannon, with 2Full reload reduced to a half-action reload. Together with firing on full-auto as a half action, you can fire heavy weapons every round, no matter what magazine size they have. Why even have a fire selector, when you can just load the ammo you need on the round you need it.

And those weapons have magazines large enough that you will almost never need to reload them in combat anyway.

What exactly is your issue? The rules aren't "realistic" enough for you? (ignoring that real life bests are actually faster )

Magazine size could have had a meaningful contribution to weapons balancing, but as it is its just superfluous.

But whatever, not worth arguing over.

I would rule that Rapid Reload always applies "last", in favor of the players.

If I may, the "0 second reload" does not occur in a vacuum. While a Round could last 5 seconds, Half Actions do not automatically take 2.5 seconds and Free Actions 0 seconds. First, speaking is also a Free Action, and characters can talk while they walk. Second, consider [Rapid Reload]'s fluff; it is not that the act of reloading takes up less time, but the character can reload while performing a separate task. Rapid Reload can be summed up as a form muscle memory, similar to riding a bike or touch-typing on a keyboard. While newer cyclists and typists need to actively concentrate on what they are doing (biking and typing as Half Actions), eventually they will become experienced enough to be able to simultaneously throw newspapers or transcribe passages from a book (biking and typing as Free Actions). You see?

Edited by Asymptomatic