Wealth Obsessed Players

By RebelDave, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

The problem with wealth is its really easy to spend it and lose it.

My group of five PCs netted 37,000Cr in their last adventure. And then promptly had to spend around 9,000 of it on bribes to get out of prison as they left a trail of evidence and witnesses behind them to all their blunders.

Easy come, easy go. ;) Still, I have seen this problem too often and it mystifies me. I can only presume that it's something that comes from computer games where the aim is just keep collecting things. It's like a psychological disorder, to my mind.

If the party is excessively looting either:

a) Its the first couple of sessions, because, you know what's better than the 500 credits starting gear?

Pretty much everything, blaster rifles, vibro weapons, laminate armour, droids, hell padded armour. If they've got it you god-**** take it

The solution to this problem is fairly simple, give them what they want. Once you combat wombats have that laminate armour, and a reasonable gun (modded heavy blaster or vibro axe) they are a lot less interested, run of the mill blasters and laminate.

b) It means looting is more profitable than the adventure/plot and your not giving them enough money.

I suggest, increasing the rewards to make them worth while, then get them more focused on the rewards than scraps.

Then concussion missiles to the space ship, because hull trauma is expensive and hopefully this will gave them the idea to get a better space ship which will eat more money.

Increase bribes and fines. Well sure you we're paid 50k but then had 30k in fines and bribes to pay out, then 10k repairs and so on.

The aim of "keep them poor" is to give them not quite enough for the next big thing but enough to keep it close enough where they can get it "next time"

Personally i like greedy players, they are easy to motivate and aggravate.

You can talk to your players and let them you are not enjoying the game and want to change, if they won't then let them know you will no longer run the game for them. It is far better to not to game, than to game and be miserable.

I completely agree with this, while at the same time want to note that the GM giving a "change or I'll quit" ultimatum instead of both sides reaching a compromise, can itself be problematic.

Oh yes, this is not to be taken lightly or as in third grader-esque manner. I mean this do only be used as a VERY last resort. This is a very serious subject, and one that should never be uttered if not to be carried out.

For me this game is about getting together with other people, making some friendships, and having fun. While everyone may have a different idea of what "fun" is, most people can agree on what it is they want from a tabletop RPG. If I, the GM am no longer having fun, that will quickly boil over to the whole table, and no one will be enjoying themselves. I have a player or two that is being disruptive, "but they are 'playing in character'", that is the worst IMO. You can try to get them to change, or the players can leave him behind.

I would not want to game with someone when I told them look, you can't loot everything, the idea is that you guys are down on your luck freighter pilots, but he tells me that they will just "loot that much more" is someone who has no respect for you as a person or as the GM. I would cut him loose from the group right then and there.

I brought this up with one of my players and he flat out said "If you try to keep us poor, we will simply try harder to loot more" (One player, who is currently absent, makes it a point to steal EVERY SINGLE WEAPON of EVERY SINGLE ENEMY they kill) (And yes, I've tried to ensure they were in a postion that they couldnt carry them all, but the situation at the time was one of zero threat, and plenty of time, and a speeder to load it into... they even wanted to take the speeder of their foe, and I had to argue the point that it wouldnt fit on the ship... so they sold it)

I hate to tell you this, but you are encouraging the behavior that you don't want them to exhibit. You yourself are allowing them to loot with no repercussions by your encounter design. You say that after a fight there was zero threat. Why? Were they on a world with no one else? Well, don't put them in fire fights like that. If they get into a firefight in the middle Nar Shadda, people are going to go screaming in every direction, creating a panicked crowd, and Security teams will be out very quickly. Just like in our world, people want stability and comfort. When that is disrupted things are going to happen to bring the situation back into the "normal" mode. We call these things "Police". Almost every populated world in SW will have some kind of police force to ensure that there are not crazy maniacs running around. If the Hutt space starts to the murder capital of the galaxy, the Empire is not going to sit idly by. Nor do the Hutts want their worlds shot up disrupting their businesses. This is not TOR!!!! Not to get all somber and real world-y here, but look at the video from Paris last month. A team of armed men shot up a building and murdered people. Look at what happened around that area. People went into hiding, lock down, and look at how quickly cops showed up, quickly followed by the elite (Nemesis level) SWAT teams.

I feel the problem you have is mainly with the individuals you have at your table. They are not holding up to their part of the social contract. You have done the right thing and tried to talk to them about it. But you have also let it continue in game y giving them situations where they can loot free of danger and threats.

So I see you have basically three options here.

1. Talk to the group about their behavior and ask them to change. You tried and had no positive results.

2. Change your encounter design to not allow this to become so easy, but in the end, the problem will still be there.

3. Find a new group.

As i said in my original post, let them be rich. Not everyone can be bribed or bought off. And when you buy off one guy, well you now have to buy off this guy to keep him quite it...so on and so on. It almost sounds like they are wanting a more in depth style of gameplay, more of a Game of Thrones feel. Sit down with your group and find out what everyone wants. Some people though just want to watch the world burn and loot everything for no other reason than to be a ****** bag.

Good luck.

Edited by R2builder

I agree, these 500 creds per char but a ship worth 120+ k creds is ... sub-optimal. 1-2k per character without obligation could get your characters some equipment without going overboard.

You can talk to your players and let them you are not enjoying the game and want to change, if they won't then let them know you will no longer run the game for them. It is far better to not to game, than to game and be miserable.

I completely agree with this, while at the same time want to note that the GM giving a "change or I'll quit" ultimatum instead of both sides reaching a compromise, can itself be problematic.

Oh yes, this is not to be taken lightly or as in third grader-esque manner. I mean this do only be used as a VERY last resort. This is a very serious subject, and one that should never be uttered if not to be carried out.

For me this game is about getting together with other people, making some friendships, and having fun. While everyone may have a different idea of what "fun" is, most people can agree on what it is they want from a tabletop RPG. If I, the GM am no longer having fun, that will quickly boil over to the whole table, and no one will be enjoying themselves. I have a player or two that is being disruptive, "but they are 'playing in character'", that is the worst IMO. You can try to get them to change, or the players can leave him behind.

I would not want to game with someone when I told them look, you can't loot everything, the idea is that you guys are down on your luck freighter pilots, but he tells me that they will just "loot that much more" is someone who has no respect for you as a person or as the GM. I would cut him loose from the group right then and there.

I brought this up with one of my players and he flat out said "If you try to keep us poor, we will simply try harder to loot more" (One player, who is currently absent, makes it a point to steal EVERY SINGLE WEAPON of EVERY SINGLE ENEMY they kill) (And yes, I've tried to ensure they were in a postion that they couldnt carry them all, but the situation at the time was one of zero threat, and plenty of time, and a speeder to load it into... they even wanted to take the speeder of their foe, and I had to argue the point that it wouldnt fit on the ship... so they sold it)

I hate to tell you this, but you are encouraging the behavior that you don't want them to exhibit. You yourself are allowing them to loot with no repercussions by your encounter design. You say that after a fight there was zero threat. Why? Were they on a world with no one else? Well, don't put them in fire fights like that. If they get into a firefight in the middle Nar Shadda, people are going to go screaming in every direction, creating a panicked crowd, and Security teams will be out very quickly. Just like in our world, people want stability and comfort. When that is disrupted things are going to happen to bring the situation back into the "normal" mode. We call these things "Police". Almost every populated world in SW will have some kind of police force to ensure that there are not crazy maniacs running around. If the Hutt space starts to the murder capital of the galaxy, the Empire is not going to sit idly by. Nor do the Hutts want their worlds shot up disrupting their businesses. This is not TOR!!!! Not to get all somber and real world-y here, but look at the video from Paris last month. A team of armed men shot up a building and murdered people. Look at what happened around that area. People went into hiding, lock down, and look at how quickly cops showed up, quickly followed by the elite (Nemesis level) SWAT teams.

I feel the problem you have is mainly with the individuals you have at your table. They are not holding up to their part of the social contract. You have done the right thing and tried to talk to them about it. But you have also let it continue in game y giving them situations where they can loot free of danger and threats.

So I see you have basically three options here.

1. Talk to the group about their behavior and ask them to change. You tried and had no positive results.

2. Change your encounter design to not allow this to become so easy, but in the end, the problem will still be there.

3. Find a new group.

As i said in my original post, let them be rich. Not everyone can be bribed or bought off. And when you buy off one guy, well you now have to buy off this guy to keep him quite it...so on and so on. It almost sounds like they are wanting a more in depth style of gameplay, more of a Game of Thrones feel. Sit down with your group and find out what everyone wants. Some people though just want to watch the world burn and loot everything for no other reason than to be a ******.

Good luck.

I have only so far run EfMS LAotH, and have just started Trouble Brewing.

The Looting of the thugs Cantina on Ryloth was the example I provided, and they used the Thugs speeder. There were in the middle of nowhere, and had killed all the Thugs. Non of the Miners were with them.

When they looted Teemos palace, I did insist that they only had a minute or two before more people arrived. They still took all the weapons from down enemies, some trophies, boxes of alcohol and a damaged protocol droid. Along with the Hutt Tokens.

At the start of Trouble Brewing, I ran the side encounter with the Smugglers, who were very cordial in telling the PC at the time to mind their own business. She immediatly threatened them with her Solonian Glaive (That she had at character creation, and is a combat monster), and demanded something to make her go away.

She was ready to commit murder, despite having 5 blasters pointed at her. Despite me saying they would ALL get a point blank shot BEFORE she could do anything... she persisted, until the other PCs pulled her away... and she still got some credits. (Thug passed his Cool checks for being threatened)

I dont have an option for a new group. I dont know any others who would want to RP

When they looted Teemos palace, I did insist that they only had a minute or two before more people arrived. They still took all the weapons from down enemies, some trophies, boxes of alcohol and a damaged protocol droid. Along with the Hutt Tokens.

I'm a little confused here. You told them they only had a minute or two before more people arrived and then they proceeded to go on what sounds to me like a 5 to 10 minute looting spree. Did you back up your threat? Did more people arrive? If you've got a group that is being that disagreeable, that sounds to me like a good time to have a crap-ton of guards show up and shoot at them while they have their hands full of boxes of whiskey and can't defend themselves. Kill of a PC or two. "Fear of this battle station will keep the local systems in line."

No, I asked them each which specific area they were searching. Stressed they had only a minute or two to search and had each make a Perception roll.

One searched the Kitchen (Box of alcohol)

One looked at the trophies and grabbed what she could (3 odd items that looked valuable - probably arnt, i've not worked that out yet)

One wanted the Protocol droid remains (Crushed by the chandelier, essentially junk)

One grabbed the weapons of downed foes (A couple basters and a carbine, partial damaged laminate, essentially useless, but my tech claims he can fix it)

One searched the Throne (the Cartel Tokens)

Then then escaped via the landing pad.

At the Cantina on Ryloth in the middle of the desert, they took more booze, all the thugs weapons and everything in their pockets (Not much), and their speeder, which when I finally pointed out they couldnt fit int he ship, they sold... along with all the weapons.

Each have about 2k in personal credits, and about 6k in Cartel tokens as a group.

A pile of basic but spare weapons

And a fully fixed, fueled and supplied ship.

I charged them 1000 creds for fuel, 1000 for food stuff for 2 months for everyone (10 creds a day), 200 creds to dock and stay for a day (50 creds per day after 'parking')

They rented equipment and did repairs themselves (My tech rolls 4 Yellow 1 Green on mechanics, and has a Cost Reducing talent, amoung others that give him big tech bonuses, and he passed them ALL)

They rented equipment and did repairs themselves (My tech rolls 4 Yellow 1 Green on mechanics, and has a Cost Reducing talent, amoung others that give him big tech bonuses, and he passed them ALL)

They are finished with long arm of the hutt (the second story) and you have a character with 4 yellow and 1 green?

Are you giving like 100 XP a session? Because either this character has 5 in a stat or 5 in the skill because even if it was a career skill, it is a decent amount of XP to get to 5 in a skill, or even 4 in a skill without neglecting pretty much everything else in the process of levelling that 1 skill.

Do they have their character sheets somewhere we can see what the heck you let them do to get that crazy so fast?

How many sessions have happened, also how much XP did you reward? Something isn't making sense.

You weren't specific about one thing so I'm wondering how it was handled: you said they tried to steal a second speeder, but it didn't fit on their ship so they sold it.

I'm wondering how "so they sold it" went down. If you hand-waved that scene, found the price in the books and gave it to them, then you're encouraging their looting efforts. Nobody should be getting the price in the books for stolen gear. At most it's 50% for something unique, and probably more like 10-25% depending on the item. And if they're just selling guns and stolen vehicles to "some dealer", then it's a lost opportunity to make fencing the loot more trouble than it's worth.

There are a hundred and one ways (euphemistically) to make selling loot troublesome. Selling blasters to just anybody is probably illegal, doubly so if they're stolen. The person buying them has only so much capacity, he probably can't handle more than a few at a time. Finding a new and bigger fence is risky...the fence doesn't know the PCs, maybe he thinks it's some kind of setup, or maybe he's heard of these PCs and they cause too much trouble and attention and he simply refuses to deal with them.

Selling a stolen vehicle is a lot harder. You need a chop shop, and a willing buyer. And maybe you've seen the recent "John Wick" movie:

Well, maybe the PCs stole *his* car, and the chop shop guy gives them a beating in return.

In short, you never give the PCs the full book price, and sometimes they don't get a price at all. Nobody has to buy their stuff, and if they get too aggressive, somebody is going to call the cops, and by the time they get away from the local police, the local stormtrooper legion will have found their ship and is tearing it apart for evidence.

If I can be so bold with a final point: don't straightjacket yourself with the rules. Everything they do will get a reaction from somebody, and you can leverage that to make a good story. You shouldn't "take their credits" just to be punitive, but you can "take their credits", or enact whatever scene you want, because they killed Yoshi and took his favourite speeder, and Yoshi's brother is on the warpath.

No, I had them find someone who might buy it, he made an offer (much lower than list price), I dont know if they negotiated up, this was before xmas., but id never give them 'list price' on anything (Everything they have bought so far has been about 20% above list). Granted, the previous owners were now dead, and were very shady anyway. But I never considered the approach that selling a 'stolen' speeder would be an issue.... I will try and remember that.

The Tech started with 2 ranks in Mechanics and 4 Intellect. He bought a rank in Mechanics. They have 50xp Total so far (My Apologies, i got the dice backwards, its 3 Yellow 1 Green)

Edited by RebelDave

No, I asked them each which specific area they were searching. Stressed they had only a minute or two to search and had each make a Perception roll.

Never (or, almost never). One person makes a Perception roll, and maybe there's an Assist going on for a boost die. Success means they found the most obvious things, Advantages and Triumphs score extra items. If you let everybody roll, then it's basically a guarantee they will find everything.

Each have about 2k in personal credits, and about 6k in Cartel tokens as a group.

Honestly, this doesn't seem like a lot. You can barely get a Superior mod for that. Why do you feel it's too much? Or is it just the looting that's bothering you?

Its the extra 6k they have 'as a group', plus the piles of extra equipment they have accumulated (Previous session, they looted maybe 10 blasters and sold them all)

Whats bothering me is the direction things are going, and could quickly spiral out of control, and I want to catch it before it crashes.

Never (or, almost never). One person makes a Perception roll, and maybe there's an Assist going on for a boost die. Success means they found the most obvious things, Advantages and Triumphs score extra items. If you let everybody roll, then it's basically a guarantee they will find everything.

They were each searching specific areas, it seemed the most likely idea... they were not going to find any weapons in the Kitchen for example. And I think my group would pitch a fit if I told them only one person could roll.

Next time don't tell her they will pull the trigger, just do it. In movies and TV shows, I am amazed at how many times that "enemies" can actually be in the same together and not fight. In some Mob style stuff, you might have a dude that could kill the Don very quickly, but even though he wants to, and he could, he knows that he would only be free for about another hour or so, and only alive for about another 24-48 hours, all the while begging for death. Let them kill someone big and important then bring mighty hell down on them. I mean a dude with B4 A4 I3 W3 P3 and skills and talents to match with a Adversary Talent level of 5. S0 Ranged Heavy would be YYYYGG with some great talents to back that up and can crit on 2 Advantage and have a Crit modifier of +50.

You are being to nice. Was the armor on someone else at the time? Do you have any idea how long it tkaes to take a real world Stormtrooper out on and off? Several minutes at best, with help. Not off a dead body which would be **** near impossible.

I am a pretty easy going GM, and I have a great group who don't abuse the rules, or me, and I don't abuse them. You can see in another thread on here my encounter for my slicer. I want to make it interesting and challenging, but not impossible were it becomes a drag on him.

With that being said, since you can't have a different group and want to keep gaming, either play they way they want to, or let the group know that their actions will have consequences. You pull a gun on Hutt, no questions, no nothing, you are now dead. There is no discussion about it with the other players at the table. It is time to show this group that you are in charge.

I can't give any advice on the adventures you are running as I have never read them or ran them, or been in them.

I can't see how someone can carry their normal gear, two blasters, a carbine and laminate armor!

I am not attacking you here, but I think I would rather play TOR than play with this group. (I despise TOR) (for all the people that like, I am glad that you like and I hope you continue to enjoy it)

I am going to go all stereotype-y here for a little fun.

i am guessing you all have played D&D/Pathfinder and are coming in from those systems from not too long ago. You were not the GM of that group, but one of your players you have now was the DM.

This is your first time being the GM for any system.

Your age is around 22 and the group ranges from 19-25 year-olds.

You have mentioned "She", but I am guessing the player is male, the character is female. "she" is also the one that told you that they will just loot harder. And the oldest at around 25, and probably the ring leader of the group.

The one that was absent that collects everything is the former DM of the Group. I am debating if "she" could have been the DM as though tough.

It seems that you have five players. Two are the problem players, The former DM and the co-conspirator, the other three are pretty much just following suit.

As you really not have given us the breakdown of your group, or your group dynamic, this is how I imagine them. A group of D&D D20 3.5/ made the switch to Pathfinder murder hobos.

This little exercise was done in jest and in fun, not to insult you or anyone in one in your group. I would like to see how close I was to your actual group though.

Whafrog is right though. Let them pitch a fit, you are the GM not them.

RebelDave,

Here's a few suggestions,

Looted Imperial armor and weaponry is probably not something any honest merchant and most dishonest merchants have any interest in touching, and possession of it is likely to result in a quick trip to the Kessel mines. Make the sale of these items next to impossible to find a buyer.

If your players regularly shoot up populated areas and then rob the locals, they should start to receive a reputation for such, maybe homegrown and later imperial bounties start appearing for them in any populated systems they have been to before, making any kind of trade with those locations impossible and forcing the players to go out of their way to sell at far below the value they want and often limited to small purchases(items valued at 500 credits or less only.

In regards to Teemo the Hutt, those are Hutt cartel credit chips meaning they would need to cash them in Hutt Space, did you consider that their debt to Teemo was not eliminated but passed on to other members of Jabba's clan. Jabba may be forgiving of them killing Teemo, based on evidence they have he was plotting against him but a debts a debt and business is business after all.

Transporting weapons beyond personal sidearms is largely restricted by local systems and Imperials, they will need to unload those weapons soon if they plan on doing alot of travelling. The same can be said for the alcohol, although it is likely a minor offense and varies from system to system.

Let them unload their contraband cargo with a buyer for below market cost, possible trade the imperial contraband to a rebel cell for favors or merchandise that isn't as dangerous to them and get em running favors to pay off Obligations. Start dangling credit making opportunities in front of them that advance your story line, and ask the players what they are looking to acquire for their characters and try and work that into your long term campaign. If your players want to earn credits let them do it in the means to move your story along best and find ways of discouraging earning credits in means that detract from your play.

Edited by Greymere

In short, you never give the PCs the full book price, and sometimes they don't get a price at all. Nobody has to buy their stuff, and if they get too aggressive, somebody is going to call the cops, and by the time they get away from the local police, the local stormtrooper legion will have found their ship and is tearing it apart for evidence.

I was thinking about this last night.

Who did they sell it to? Did they take it to a used speeder lot? Unless it's an actual chop shop, most reputable used vehicle salesmen (IRL, and by extrapolation honest businessmen in Star Wars) are going to want you to prove title to the thing you're selling, or they incur the risk of buying stolen goods. If you show up with a random stolen car at a car dealership and try to trade it in, they're not just going to take it assuming you own it - they're going to want you to prove it and if you can't they won't buy it.

I also agree that if you're selling to a dealer, you're going to take a hit. A brand new car loses a ton of value just by driving it off the lot. Bring it in a couple years later and it's worth even less. I see no reason this should not also apply to speeders. If it's not in mint condition, that's an even smaller price.

And if they sell to a chop shop, that person is providing a service disposing of hot vehicles. Assuming they even pay you and not the other way around to take this thing off your hands, they're going to give you maybe 20% of the real value, because if they pay out honestly they're not going to turn much profit re-selling it.

If you're worried about players gaining too much money by loot-selling, realize that this isn't D&D, that they're not entitled to a flat 50% of the book price to sell it, that other factors apply, that they may not even be able to sell a hot speeder in certain circumstances. That might very well make them think twice about how they approach looting.

@R2 Builder.

I technically have 6 players, but 2 are absent. (Both Male, both former GMs, one a problem, the other not).

Current group is 2 guys 2 girls, from 25-35.

Im 33.

We have played many games, D&D, Warhammer 2nd Ed, Savage Worlds, Game of Thrones. (The others more, i joined the group later than most).

Ive GMed Warhammer for this group, both well and not so well.

One of my players is abit of a rules monkey, and can use the system to create the very best, He created 2 characters, one of which is being used by one of my players (one of the girls) whos not really into Star Wars, and RP is really only an excuse to hang out with friends. Thats the Selonian.

Created by the guy playing the Techie.

I dont know which version of D&D they have used... 3 I think. (Im not a D&D veteran, but the guy who wrote the Techie is, and he got alot of stick for creating some really stupid characters that were designed to be VERY powerful).

In a previous SAGA SW game (Not run by me), he created a Droid using EVERY BOOK GOING, that was better at EVERYTHING than anyone else. (He got alot of stick). that game fell to bits as the GM wanted to run things 'rules light', in a system that didnt support it.

My current group dont seem to grasp the 'narrative format' of this system, ive told them many times before, and its a hard habit to get out of from previous system.

I keep asking them to explain, narrativly, how their actions are providing that Boost die (They usally just go: "Ive rolled 3 Advantage, someone gets a Blue!"

I am not a hugely experienced GM compared to the group, and I am still learning some of the more subtle bits of the rules for this set, I will admit.

Your earlier point... they didnt have much of their own gear, and didn't have to go far to get out of the palace.

OK, now I'm thinking that maybe all of us are trying to help you treat symptoms when you should be treating the disease. I'm not telling you what to do, but if I were in your situation, I would explain to the group that I don't have any interest in running a Monty Haul campaign and that, if that's what they really want to play, then maybe somebody else should GM something.

Edited by cupajo

All good advice so far guys, much much appreciated.

I dont want to quit GMing, ive spend a lump of cash on books I want to use, and no one else is prepared to run this system (As they wont buy the books).

I'm also not sure if anyone is prepared to run anything currently. ONe of our regular GMs is absent currently, the other has nothing ready at all, and they all seem to want to play this.

Basically it sounds like I need to put the squeeze on them.

Harder to sell stolen goods. So hard that it might not be worth the bother.

Make it a point they are carrying stolen or illegal goods.

Have people push them... Jabba may well be pissed, they didnt uncover Teemos spying on him, so all he knows is they killed him.

LOL, wow, I was way off the mark.

I know for me, I am always the GM, and I make for one horrible player.

@R2builder.

No worries :)

We probably dont act our age. Half of us are also Wargamers.

We have had success and failure with a range of our games, and sometimes its a player sometimes the GM sometimes the system or the adventure.

My last Warhammer (Ashes of Middenheim) fell to bits when one of the currently absent players did his level best to break things (In character he claimed), that I just didnt want to play anymore.. even after he 'dropped out' of that campaign. (One I would like to finish, but probably cant if hes part of it)

I dont want to quit GMing, ive spend a lump of cash on books I want to use, and no one else is prepared to run this system (As they wont buy the books).

I'm also not sure if anyone is prepared to run anything currently. ONe of our regular GMs is absent currently, the other has nothing ready at all, and they all seem to want to play this.

Have people push them... Jabba may well be pissed, they didnt uncover Teemos spying on him, so all he knows is they killed him.

With things like Roll20, Google Hangouts, Skype, and even 3d Tabletop, whatever there is no need to be limited on the people available to play.

Go to the forums here or to www.reddit.com/r/swrpg make a post saying "i will be gaming at X time I need players, please arrive early if this is your first time so your character can be reviewed". Bam you have a game.

This community is normally pretty great. If you want players, they will be there with bells on.

Jabba may be forgiving of them killing Teemo, based on evidence they have he was plotting against him but a debts a debt and business is business after all.

Not to mention, Hutts don't want anybody else killing Hutts without explicit sanction...it ruins their god-emperor image.

With things like Roll20, Google Hangouts, Skype, and even 3d Tabletop, whatever there is no need to be limited on the people available to play.

Go to the forums here or to www.reddit.com/r/swrpg make a post saying "i will be gaming at X time I need players, please arrive early if this is your first time so your character can be reviewed". Bam you have a game.

This community is normally pretty great. If you want players, they will be there with bells on.

One of the reasons I enjoy RP is that it gets me AWAY from a computer. And I am not good at talking to people I have never met, certain social/mental issues.