Descent + Warhammer Quest = Descent Quest

By Veinman, in Descent Home Brews

I also posted this over on the geek but wanted to make sure people here saw it. I've been quietly working on a mod for Descent that makes it play much like Warhammer Quest. I call it Descent Quest, of course. The primary changes this brings are the removal of the Overlord, which allows for true co-op play or even solo play. The goal is to have a game that is balanced for any reasonable number of heroes, and is easily expandable.

I'm looking for people willing to give it a shot while it is in "beta" form. The file below is the first one I've made publicly available. It contains the rules and all the cards necessary to play (currently just over 100 cards!). The final version will have more dungeon cards and more objective area cards.

www.thegelatinouscube.com/descent/Descent%20Quest%20Rules%20v.83.pdf

Please post here or email me (my email is in the pdf). I am interested in any comments you have, but particularly I want to know about balance.

Do you think the game is too hard or too easy? How many heroes did you play with? What do you think made it too hard or easy? Any info you can provide will make the final release better. Thanks and have fun!

I'm on the road right now, but when I get home I'll see if I can put together a group to try this out. Looks very interesting!

You've taken the time to do all that... And only one person has replied? I hope you've posted this elsewhere, matey. I'm not impressed that no-one else has bothered to atleast acknowledge the existence of your work.

I'll be printing this out, slapping some cards together and having a game as soon as possible. Looks like great work so far, and I'll certainly let you know when we've experienced the results first hand!

Many thanks for taking the trouble over this, cheers!

Thanks for the kind words. It's not a big deal that it didn't make a big splash here. It's quite popular over on boardgamegeek. The thread about it is here: www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/419643

It's been submitted to the files section over there, but I'm not sure if it's been approved yet. The file is the same as the one I've linked in this thread, it should say version.88 at the top of the pdf. It's done, and if I can round up some volunteers, I'd like to do an expansion that includes Road to Legend map pieces.

And yes, it was a lot of work but it was also a lot of fun. happy.gif

I just found this nad it looks great and I will give it a try soon! Nice work!

looks interesting.. will take a look at it and see where that takes my group...

we just recently finished some hardcore quest, so we are ready for something more balanced.

Great job Veinman. I gave this a shot and I found it works very well. It feels a little slow since I was not used to the mechanics, but it functioned very much like playing vanilla Descent. I would still always prefer playing competative with a real person since automating it always increases the predicatability of the monsters. But for testing purposes or those who have trouble finding other players, I strongly recomend trying this a few times to be sure that you get the hang of the rules.

Looks like were going to give this a shot next week. I'll post an update, as to how it went.

I managed to create a psd file so that when you print the cards out, you can flip over the page, and get the words printed on the other side. to have 2 sided cards.

I also created an event card to give the monsters double speed. Basicly place 7 wound tokens, the monsters can spend 2 per round to double 2 monsters speed. + it grants 1 monster the ability to double speed and active immediately.

And two Magic fountains. One that offers Red/Green # of hearts which can be drank, for 1 life/movement point spent drinking. The other can give a player an extra permanent Fatigue or Wound or Speed. Now I'm working on creating +1 fatigue tokens, +1 and +2 Life tokens, and +1 speed tokens (green boots) :)

Thanks Veinman for all your work

I've been thinking about doing something similar to this. Thanks for puttin the work in! My buddies and I will be giving this a go this weekend.

Glad you guys are enjoying it. There's more to come. I know of two people working on Road to Legend campaign rules that work with Descent Quest (automating the overlord's upgrades, etc). I'm not personally involved in those projects but have seen early versions of both. They seem promising.

I've also got an expansion for it kicking around in my head.. I've done some preliminary testing but it will be a while before I have something to release.

See the download link in reply #3 for version 1.0. All new card art including card backs. The cards were done by Jack Reda and they look great.

Ohhh...Yeaaahhh!!! Beautiful..... some.... more Beautiful, heh heh heh

By the way, a bit off-topic, have you seen this post on the Geek? It does briefly mention your work, and suggests an interesting idea.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/435874/page/1

I wonder if you could upload the card images to Artscow.com and create decks the simple user (myself included) could purchase. Then we would have high-quality cards to use instead of my cardstock-in-a-sleeve method.

If it's too much time and trouble, I completely understand. I'm sure others of us would do it if you were to provide the seperate images. Either way, I've been enjoying Descent Quest for some time already and look forward to playing 1.0 REAL soon!! Thx, V!

I had not seen that thread, since I don't own Doom. But Warp, who made that mod and thread, made the cards in version 1.0 of Descent Quest. He has said that he is going to upload the card decks to artscow so people can buy them. You'd have to ask him for specifics related to that.

Thanks for playing, and I hope you have Road to Legend because my next Descent Quest release is going to be very cool. I'm biased though. :)

This thread on BGG has links to the Event deck, Monster Spawn deck, and the Dungeon Areas and Objectives deck.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/419643

There is also a link to the current Door deck, which is still in progress... doing some brainstorming "out loud" there for how it should be filled up.

One idea I'm kicking around is having one of the cards simply be this:

Mimic

The Warp & Veinman, killer work guys! This is one of, if not thee greatest variants for any boardgame I have ever seen!

FFGers, if you like the .PDF version of this variant the decks are available as professionaly printed decks of cards from artscow. (use a code for free shipping and to knock the price in half for the decks like PLAYCARDS2009)

Dungeon Areas and Objectives Deck

www.artscow.com/share/5z09rndhkfdm

Door Deck

www.artscow.com/share/xktht11k6ell

Event Deck

www.artscow.com/share/5641ubl2huwo

Monster Spawn Deck

www.artscow.com/share/sdux34g2ap0o

Thanks, FROG, for the links and info!!!!! How awesome is this? This is JUST what I've been looking for. My printed-out version of Descent Quest will land in the refuse bin now! I also got The Warp's DOOM Coop Decks with these decks for less than $50 TOTAL!!!! 6 custom decks and shipping for less than $50!!! That coupon code was very helpful!! I saved more than I spent!!! That's more than %50 off!! My group is gonna be THRILLED!!! And huge Kudos to Veinman and The Warp for most excellent mods for a couple of my FAVORITE games!! Party On, Dudes!!!

Glad you like it, and there's more coming....TONIGHT.

Veinman, a suggestion / request, if possible. Can you release an "eye candy" sheet to track the powers in play ? It can be something like a 11 rows (or colums) sheet where it is possible to put tokens (like wounds or threats) on it to count how many powers are in play. So it is possible to avoid to use the OL cards. I can make one with a wordprocessor or a spreadsheet, but nothing "eye candy" ... Thanks

I'm about like you.... my photoshop skills are not amazing. I am not responsible for the nice card art on Descent Quest. The Warp did it. I've not heard this request before... I guess I'd have to think about it. I think DQ is pretty much done though, so if it happened, it wouldn't happen for a long time. happy.gif

rgalvan: if you want to make one up, I can probably candify it some. I'm game to try anyway.

The Wrap: thanks a lot ! I'll try in next days. How can I send it to you ?

zap me an email: jack at redamedia.com