Infernal Gateway

By Darth Hideous, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Rules Questions

First of all I am but sorry I can't seem to paste links or add Pictures. I am using the newest IE and really dont know why I cant do anything.

Back to the question.

Is a unit played from hand considered as being deployed?

If yes... Can you use a Splintered Path Acolyte to reduce the cost for a unit like fx Posseded to 3 (printed cost for Posseded is 5) and put it into play?

Hmm. Because Infernal Gateway is only mentioned in the title of your post, I'm not sure exactly which question you are asking, so bear with me while I answer a few that you might not have asked.

A. "Deploy" vs. Put-into-Play"

- You "deploy" a card when you pay its cost to play it from your hand. This usually happens during the deployment phase, but a card effect can say "deploy a card," too.

- "Put into play" is when you use a card effect (that does not use the word "deploy") to move a card into play from any out-of-play area, bypassing the cost of the card, though potentially paying a cost to trigger the card effect you are using.

So, they are not the same thing. The most significant difference is that when you use a card like Infernal Gateway to put a unit into play, you do not have to pay the cost of the unit itself, only the cost of the event.

B. Cost vs. Printed Cost

When you use a card like Splintered Path Acolyte, you are reducing the cost to deploy the unit, but you are not changing the unit's "printed cost."

Note that a card like Splintered Path Acolyte cannot combo with a card like Infernal Gateway because, a) The effect on the Acolyte specifically says to reduce the cost of a Daemon when you "deploy" it. Since Infernal Gateway is a "put into play" effect, not a "deploy" effect, it doesn't apply - after all, you are not paying the cost of the unit when you use Infernal Gateway, only the cost of the event (which the Acolyte clearly doesn't apply to); and b) Infernal Gateway refers to the printed cost of the unit being put into play, and the Acolyte does not change the (printed) ink on the card of a unit like Possessed from "5" to "3." (I think this was the question you had in mind when you posted?)

So, TL:DR -- If a card effect says to put a unit into play, you are not "deploying" the unit. An effect that says to reduce the cost when you "deploy" a unit does not apply to "put into play" effects. Further, reducing the cost of a unit does not change the printed cost of that unit, so the Acolyte cannot make a 5-cost unit like Possessed count as a unit with a printed cost of 3.

Thank you for at very good answer! You did answer my question perfect. Even though I did not write my question very perfect!

Thank you :D

Thank you for at very good answer! You did answer my question perfect. Even though I did not write my question very perfect!

Thank you :D

It's one of ktom's mutant powers.

Edited by Killax

ktom has waaaayyyy too many mutant abilities for my liking. Knowing what you are asking even when you don't, total and immediate recall of all rules, ability to break down all situations in minute detail, explain in a clear, concise manner, and on and on. I'm convinced that he is an eldar witch twisting our perceptions to suit his needs.

Edited by Titan

I wouldn't be suprised if he was Eldar at all, or had direct connections with the Emperor and the Machine God.

I wouldn't be suprised if he was Eldar at all, or had direct connections with the Emperor and the Machine God.

He is the Machine God.

Edited by Zebadiah