Only War - Guerilla Base Building

By Fiddler27, in Only War House Rules

So my game has gone COMPLETELY off the rails when my players decided to turn their tank regiment into a Guerrilla army against an enemy invasion, so I had to come up with a new system to build and manage an army base.

Knowing this, I drew a lot of inspiration from the ship-building system from Rogue Trader. In this case, the group's flat Requisition ® rating stands in the place of Ship Points and represents the number of Guerrillas/Partisans the group can recruit and effectively command .

Supplies (S) stands in the way of Power and represents military grade supplies- everything from Ration Bars to Standard issue tents to Lascannon rounds.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, I changed Crew Rating to Army Rating. This isn't a literal translation but a quick and dirty guide to the army's effectiveness.

10 = Angry mob

20 = PDF

30 = Guardsmen

40 = Veteran Guardsmen

50 = Tempestus Scions

60 = Space Marine Scouts

Any assignments delegated to NPCs should roll for success/failure based off of this rating.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A feature I added is Packing Up . If the Guerrilla Base is discovered by the enemy or a better location for the base is found, certain buildings can be Packed Up and transported to whatever location the group wants to make use of as their new home base. Packing up takes a number of hours equal to the Requisition rating.

Poor and Common Quality Structures are considered Lean-tos and Tents, and can always be packed up unless otherwise noted. Poor quality structures reduce the cost of buildings by half (rounded up, to a minimum of 1).

Good and Best Quality Structures are represented as solid structures with foundations. Unless specified, they cannot be packed up and cost no R points. They must be found and defended. Their S cost is increased x 1.5 (rounded up or down at GM's discretion) for Good and x 2 for Best Quality.

Disaster Chart - Once per session, the GM should roll on this chart, adding +1 to the roll for every Critical Structure in the Forward Base the group is missing. If all bases are established, subtract 1 from the roll.

1-3: No effect.

4: Hunger: The group's food stores are empty, having been consumed by the army, gone rotten, or eaten by pests. The group must immediately locate and seize a new food supply or suffer 1d10 damage to their Army Rating as soldiers die of hunger and thirst, or desertion sets in.

6-7: Disease Outbreak: The group must make a Trade (Chymist) test at -20 to craft a Cure for the disease or take 1d10 damage to their R rating.

8-9: Fire!: A fire breaks out in the camp, dealing 1d10 damage to the group's S rating, and sending a plume of smoke up into the sky, visible for kilometers in all directions. The squad may roll a Command Test at -10 to coordinate Fire Fighting efforts in the confusion, reducing the damage by 1d5 to a minimum of 1.Regardless, it may be a good time to Pack Up and move. If the group does not Pack Up the base, the next Disaster Roll is considered a 10 automatically.

10: UNDER ATTACK!: The enemy launches a surprise attack on the base, in sufficient strength (Treated as Army Level 40) and ferocity to potentially wipe out the Guerrilla Army. The group must stand and fight or abandon the base. Having (and sacrificing) a Watchpost within 10km or more of the base grants 1d5 Hours to Pack Up and evacuate as the Watchmen delay the attack. Having (and sacrificing) a Base Camp within 10km grants an additional 1d5 hours to pack up. Having, manning (and sacrificing) any Fortifications grants an additional hour of time per Craftsmanship level of the Fortifications.

11+: As above, but the enemy brings a heavy unit to bear- a Squiggoth, Baneblade, Daemon Prince, or Tantalus leads the attack against your forces with a cadre of elite warriors (Army Level 50 or GM's discretion), and Watchposts/Base Camps in range grant 1d5-2 Hours to pack up, to a minimum of 0. Having, manning (and sacrificing) any Fortifications grants an additional hour of time per Craftsmanship level of the Fortifications.

Please note that this is a living, breathing document. I will be adding buildings, tweaking others and making adjustments as they come to me. I am also open to taking suggestions from the community.

Knowing all that, here's what I've set up...

Necessities - Like the Engines, Life Support, and Quarters of the Rogue Trader ships, the group MUST have one of each of these in their primary base AT ALL TIMES.

Barracks - R 3, S 3

Provides a dedicated shelter to the PCs and a squad of subordinate soldiers. Common Quality grants AP 8 cover. Poor Quality reduces costs by 1, provides shelter and no cover bonus. Good Quality increases R and S costs by 1 but provides AP 10 cover and Kitchen facilities. Best Quality increases R cost by 2, has AP 10, and has indoor plumbing, negating the need for Latrines.

Command Center - R 3, S 7

The command hub of the Guerrilla forces. Players can deploy unassigned soldiers (Unused R) to the field (GM Note: This has no in-combat effects, but narratively the GM should make their actions felt. "Because you deployed this squad, they intercepted these Kroot that you would've had to fight.") A Good Quality CC has a com array, allowing the group to listen in on wide range Vox Channels to gather intel (transmissions from refugee groups, other Guerrilla armies, or potential long-range mission objective for the group to complete). Best Quality CCs are equipped with an Astropath Relay for keeping in touch with Imperial High Command and a satellite uplink. Making a Tech-Use Test at -20 allows the group access to still image picts of potential mission sites or troop buildups.

Medicae Tent - R 4, S 3

Medicae Tests in the Camp are never below +10 for First Aid or -10 for Extended/Surgery. Good Quality increases the Cost to R 4, S 3 and adds +10 to the modifiers. Best Quality has all the trappings of a hospital, granting a further +10 and can reattach lost limbs (if the limb is brought back with the wounded soldier) in an Extended Test.

Latrines - R 1, S 1

If you have to ask, you're a sick, sick person. Cannot have Poor Quality. Good Quality provides some privacy and AP 6 cover. Best Quality has indoor plumbing, AP 8 cover and rolling "Disease Outbreak" on the Disaster chart has no effect. Cannot be Packed Up.

Armory - R 2, S 5

A secure ammunition and weapon supply. The group can roll Logistics to find weapons and items of Rare Availability or lower. Poor Quality is more a pile of weapons and clips than an organized system, a grab bag of goodies; all weapons are considered Poor Quality from mishandling and the best items being picked over by other soldiers. Common Quality has some organizational system behind it, and players can choose to roll between Common and Poor Quality items. Good Craftsmanship is adequately supplied and categorized, granting AP 12 cover. Best Quality allows the squad to roll for Good Quality items.

Optional Buildings

Forge - R 1, S 4

Grants +10 to Trade (Armourer) Tests to make items. Good and Best Quality increase the bonus by +5 and +10, respectively. Poor Quality increases the Disaster roll by +1.

Watch Post - R 1, S 1

A defensive building meant to provide advance warning of enemy movement and attacks. Equipped with a Heavy Stubber or Long-Las, they must be within Vox range of the HQ. Good and Best Quality grant 1 and 2 additional hours to delay an enemy attack on the UNDER ATTACK! Disaster roll.

Garage - R 8, S 8

A vehicle Garage set up to make repairs to and salvage ruined vehicles. Poor Quality Garage grants Rush Jobs an additional +30 to Repair tests but the vehicle being repaired gains the Ramshackle trait, and parts may need to be retrieved via missions. Common Quality allows standard repairs at +0, and missions for critical parts are only necessary for Critically Damaged vehicles. Good Quality Garage grants +10 to repairs. Best Quality Garage Grants +20 to Repairs and players can roll Logistics at -10 to find special vehicle ammunition that may have been mis-labeled in the back.

Base Camp - R 3, S 8

A field camp for operations outside the main base. Provides shelter for 8, a Watch Post, basic Medicae needs, and Vox communications. Good Quality base camps are camoflaged civilian structures, granting +20 to Stealth tests to avoid detection by the enemy and snare traps for capturing enemy scouts. Best Quality are almost self-sufficient Forts, granting AP 16 cover from walls and allowing Logistics rolls at -20.

Foraging Field - R 3, S 8

A field of wild fruits, vegetables or grains waiting to be harvested in the wild. The players will not need to go on foraging missions to resupply food if Hunger is rolled on the Disaster chart as long as this is under their control. Poor Quality fields are disease hotbeds and poorly concealed, adding +1 to the Disaster chart. Good and Best Quality Fields are efficiently run farms, granting +1 and +2 S points per game session. Cannot be Packed Up.

Brig - R 3, S 5

A secure structure for holding POWs or persons of interest. Good Quality provides a +10 to Interrogation Tests. Best Quality requires nothing short of Melta Charges to break out of.

Fortifications - R 4, S 4

Fortifications for defending the Main Base. Poor Quality is little better than rolls of barbed wire, slowing down attackers, provides no AP to defenders and can be Packed Up . Common Quality grants AP8 from packed dirt and sandbags, negating Blast weapons, and cannot be Packed Up . Good and Best Quality grants AP12 and 16 from solid walls, but do not negate Blast.

Chapel - R 1, S 6

A building dedicated to the worship of the God-Emperor of Man. Common Quality grants +5 to the Army Rating whenever UNDER ATTACK! is rolled on the Disaster Chart. Good Quality grants +10 to the defensive Army Rating whenever UNDER ATTACK! is rolled. Best Quality grants +10 to the Army Rating at all times. Building a Poor Quality Chapel is unheard of and considered an affront to the God-Emperor of man.

Landing Pad - R 5, S 8

A flat surface that can be used to fly in shipments of supplies or reinforcements via Valkyrie dropships or Arvus Lighter cargo shuttles. Poor Quality is little better than a flat grassy surface, poorly concealed and unable to handle heavy traffic, bringing only +2 Army Strength and adding +1 to the Disaster roll. Common Quality grants +3 Army Strength and +1 S per game. Good Quality should be considered a civilian landing pad used by nobility or merchants, granting +3 Army Strength an +1 S per game, along with a +5 to Logistics rolls for items. Its control tower (if intact) counts as a Watchpost. Best Quality should be considered a dedicated Guard or PDF site, granting +10 Army Strength, +2 S per game, and +10 to Logistics rolls for items the group can "Order" for delivery in 2d10 hours. Its control tower (if intact) counts as a Watchpost.

Refugee Camp - R 10, S 10

A collection of tents, shelters and hovels built by civilians fleeing the war zone. People are constantly coming and going as the war zone becomes more precarious, but those that stay provide extra manpower for operations. The Refugee Camp grants +5 to the Army Rating as civilians work for their food, freeing up trained soldiers from menial tasks to fight in the field. The Camp is a hotbed of disease, adding +1 to Disaster Rolls. Finally, Logistics tests to acquire non-weapon items in the Camp may be made at -20. Poor Quality Refugee Camps are pits of squalor, adding +2 to Disaster Rolls and only +3 to the Army Rating. Good Quality sees the civilians form militias for self-defense, boosting Army Rating by +7. Best Quality boosts the Army Rating by +10 and adds +0 to the Disaster roll as civilians have all the modern comforts and medical care they need..

Edited by Fiddler27

10: UNDER ATTACK!: The enemy launches a surprise attack on the base, in sufficient strength and ferocity to potentially wipe out the Guerrilla Army. The group must stand and fight or abandon the base. Having a Watchpost 10km or more away grants 1d5 Hours to Pack Up and evacuate .

Just reading through and offering suggestions as I go, but shouldn't this read "Having a Watchpost WITHIN 10km grants" said bonus?

The way it is worded now could mean that they could have a Watchpost 3,000km away and would somehow still get that bonus to packing up.

Also, I don't feel that a dedicated medicae tent/facility should be a necessity. Granted, it is a boon, but if it is a temporary Guerilla base, any overturned table can become an operating table - of course this isn't idea, but I feel like it should be in the optional section.

In fact, as a Guerilla army, I feel the "necessary" buildings should be as low as possible.

Edited by pearldrum1

Nice work.

Have you considered camp followers?

Since this seems to be a permanent camp (unless attacked), there are bound to be a variety of camp followers showing up.

Wifes, girlfriends (sometimes even both ;) ), husbands, boyfriends, relatives, etc. Which would spawn a variety of additional buildings such as mess halls, communal showers, brothels, gambling/drinking dens, schools for the children, etc.

This may later become relevant for Battlegroup Gorgon (See Tau vs DKOK) later on in the campaign, if the Tau begin to win the battle in my upcoming campaign. As such, I have to ask, as I may have missed it...

How do you determine the group's R & S values?

Similarly, how would this interact in terms of dealing with two hostile forces (Tau, and later Tyranids)? Naturally, you can't eavesdrop on Tyranid comms...

I imagine a Linguistics (Tau) or Linguistics (Tau codes) skill would be applicable for gathering intel from the Tau

I think I have to echo Pearldrum slightly on this one. This is the 41st Millenium - a chapel to the God-Emperor is considered vastly more important than a Medicae tent, for one.

I do apologise if my queries are a bother. The system is something I'd like to use, but I don't quite understand it in it's current state (As of 13:25 GMT, 18/02/2015).

I'm also slightly concerned that the "Base Camp", which might be more aptly named a "Forward Operating Base", is excessively cheap considering it's functions, held in comparison to the cost for the same functions in the primary HQ. Otherwise I like what I see.

One last question, I think, before I hit "Post". I'm planning on having a company of Space Marines (Salamanders or Ultramarines) deployed to the planet late-game in response to the Tyranid infestation, and to attempt to eliminate Tau command. How would you recommend they interact with this system? Naturally, I don't believe that they would answer to the PCs - more likely they'd become ad-hoc field commanders for the guardsmen when the Space Marines felt that their objectives had priority, and required assistance.

Edit - A further amendment, Battlegroup Gorgon is an Armoured Company & Mechanised Infantry mixed-regiment. How do you propose that vehicles will factor into this system?

Edit Edit - After some further analysis, I have come to the conclusion that the garage described should probably be the poor quality, rush-job "mech tent" as opposed to a proper garage. I feel that it costs too much for the function that it serves, but you may of course disagree. I would suggest that, as written (+30 to rush jobs, vehicles gain Ramshackle) it be a lower-cost, Poor quality garage, and a common quality garage allows repairs to be conducted as normal (+0 Challenging test. Supplies on hand, but nothing too complex). A good quality test will have assets on hand such as jacks and other toys that help, giving a +10 bonus to all repair tests for vehicles, whilst a Best quality garage makes a Techpriest blush with how well outfitted it is. The poor quality one should likely be "packupable".

I mentioned the Brig to one of players and the first thing they suggested was using that as the command centre substitute due to the fact the best quality one will have exceptional armour. A possible problem with the system there, but I'm lacking in recommendations.

There is currently no mechanical effect for the chapel. Perhaps some sort of inspirational bonus, giving a +10 to unit strength for the purpose of completing assigned missions via the Command Centre? I'm not sure, but religion is very important in the Imperium of Man.

Regarding fortifications I have a couple of thoughts. First off, I think this would be a good opportunity to make use of the Trade (Technomat) skill in use by the Sappers doctrine in some way, either in the improving of cover, initial assemblage, or some other application. The trade skills are horribly underused and I think the more we can support crafting in systems like this, the better.

I have a somewhat more serious issue that, a handcrafted sandbag wall (as fielded by the typical siege regiment, and not all that hard to acquire) provides AP 8. That's as good as the vast majority of the structure presented here that can't be disassembled and moved (like a building made of sandbags could of), and equals the best quality fortifications presented here. I'd recommend increasing the cover value of all fortifications by at least a minimum of 4, or the players might as well requisition sandbags from the armoury and build their own. A "Solid Wall" is pitched around AP16, so if that's what best quality fortifications are meant to represent, they're falling quite short.

Hope my recommendations and observations help, in addition to being a pest with my queries.

Edited by SgtLazarus

Pearldrum: Thanks for the wording Clarification. I'll update the original post accordingly. The Medicae Tent may not be important from a fluff point of view but it is something that would be required to keep the forces at fighting strength.

Ranoncles: I hadn't considered the followers... Might have to make a note of that one. Maybe something like "Refugee Camp" would do? What do you think the in-game effect of it would be?

Lazarus: Wow, that's a lot. I'll give quick and dirty answers here, and I may not have time for all the questions, but here goes. Keep in mind this is not an FFG official system and I'm working through the specifics with my own players still. We regularly have discussions to balance the system out and throw other ideas away. That's why I ask if anyone raises problems, they propose solutions as well.

Determining R : The group's Requisition rating AT THE TIME they establish the base. My group went AWOL as orders were to evacuate their planet before the Orks destroyed the army. They consciously stayed behind to fight the enemy as Guerrillas. I set their R rating at their base Requisition at the time, plus the bonus one of the characters with Munitorum Influence got (she knew people). When one player asked about using Charm to get a further increase, I threw in a retreating platoon of soldiers and let him roll to convince them to stay in an extended test, getting harder every round. Every DoS gave them +1 R. After that, that was it- no more R points unless gathered in an epic quest like freeing slaves or linking up with another group of Guerrillas and convincing them to join forces.

Determining S: S is just a catch-all term for military grade supplies- food, ammo, fuel, etc. rather than tracking each of these things individually. Yeah, troops can scavenge for food and civilian supplies, but military grade stuff should be rarely rewarded like Profit Factor in RT. Based on the fact my group commanded a small tank platoon, had almost all their gear and some loot stowed in the tanks, I gave them 10 S to start, followed by 2d10 representing them looting a blown up and abandoned base in their next session.

The Low Costs reflect the Pack Up rule. My group is running a Guerrilla Army. Poor and Common Quality buildings are Lean-to's and Tents (respectively) with just the supplies they need to fulfill their functions. Good and Best Quality are solid and military purpose structures (respectively), cannot be moved, and are established in a mission. If the group sees a Green Tide coming, they have to decide to risk everything for the solid structures or write off these resources and relocate to safety. (Need to formalize that Good/Best rule still... will do that in a few).

Linguistics: I see this as something requiring a Special quest to get an NPC with that specific skill. In your case, maybe a disillusioned Gue'vesa?

Space Marines: Hmmmmm... I'd think they would provide that boost in combat power to 80 if (narratively or by chance) you roll UNDER ATTACK on the Disaster Chart and have good relations with the Astartes. Outside of that is a good question as Astartes will not feature in my game. I'm open to suggestions, of course.

Garage: Thanks for your thoughts. Will take a look and readjust.

Fortifications: See above :)

Brig: The Best Quality Brig is literally a building built with the specific intention to be a military prison- the walls are made to resist vox transmissions spies might send and all escape attempts short of a tank shell. Every aspect of a Best Quality Building is set up to fulfill a military roll. My players thought the same thing when they found one while scouting a town and actually locked themselves in a cell without any help or prompting from me. Had to send a comrade outside the cell (who they didn't think to give fingerprint access) for explosives to get them out 24 hours later, and one of them suffered horrible burn damage from the Melta charges.

Mechanized Regiments and Vehicles: I would make the Garage a Required Building that consumes 1 supply per session per "Light" vehicle (Sentinels, Tauros) they use and 2 per "Heavy" (Chimera, Leman Russ) they use. This includes sending the vehicle out on a patrol with NPCs. Keeping the vehicles parked at home uses no supplies. Knowing how rarely I give out Supplies (the group has found 3 Supply since I made this system), this keeps my group from becoming their own independent tank battalion when the whole system is built to represent a Guerrilla army. If your players are not cut off (initially) then maybe they get regular supply drops that mitigate this expense. If they use their supply drops to salvage wrecked vehicles and their supply drops stop... well, that's bad right there :P

Chapel: Good suggestion. Until something better comes along, I'll include it.

Edited by Fiddler27

My opinions on the "refugee camp."

a) It should improve morale. The soldiers families (at least of the PDF) may be there. Even for the others seeing more than just the other guardsmen should be a welcome change.

b) It should be a source of workpower. The refugees can free up more guardsmen to combat roles (And some may be willing to pick up arms and join the fight. Though they need to be trained.), take care of repair work and possibly even produce food and other resources for the base.

c) It should be a liability. The refugees also require food and other resources, this means more scavengin or more production spent on keeping them fed. Having more people also means that the camp has grown and is easier to find. With most enemies this would be a huge risk (aircraft, orbital scans or simply Tyranids smelling them or something) but with the orks this threat is slightly diminished.

d) It is a source of R&R. Soldiers can find alcohol and gambling anywhere when they get the chance but other human contact (PROSTITUTES!) is more rare. This ties in with the Morale bit, but also comes with the double edged sword in that it may cause disciplinary problems. Particularly since the command structure has been damaged and with a bunch of civilians at the camp the guard may have trouble with guardsmen preferring to spend their time at the camp and waiting for the rescue mission rather than wasting their time fighting against an enemy that controls the planet.

My opinions on the "refugee camp."

a) It should improve morale. The soldiers families (at least of the PDF) may be there. Even for the others seeing more than just the other guardsmen should be a welcome change.

b) It should be a source of workpower. The refugees can free up more guardsmen to combat roles (And some may be willing to pick up arms and join the fight. Though they need to be trained.), take care of repair work and possibly even produce food and other resources for the base.

c) It should be a liability. The refugees also require food and other resources, this means more scavengin or more production spent on keeping them fed. Having more people also means that the camp has grown and is easier to find. With most enemies this would be a huge risk (aircraft, orbital scans or simply Tyranids smelling them or something) but with the orks this threat is slightly diminished.

d) It is a source of R&R. Soldiers can find alcohol and gambling anywhere when they get the chance but other human contact (PROSTITUTES!) is more rare. This ties in with the Morale bit, but also comes with the double edged sword in that it may cause disciplinary problems. Particularly since the command structure has been damaged and with a bunch of civilians at the camp the guard may have trouble with guardsmen preferring to spend their time at the camp and waiting for the rescue mission rather than wasting their time fighting against an enemy that controls the planet.

I like a lot of this.

At the moment, I'm thinking a boost of +5 to Army Power per quality level (reflecting morale and conscripts freeing up professional soldiers for active combat missions).

Poor and Common Quality boost the Disaster Rolls (poor hygiene, flammable materials, etc.)

It can act like a Marketplace for trinkets (maybe Hail Mary "Does anybody have a Leman Russ Vanquisher Transmission Switch?" Logistics rolls at -30, underworld contacts/missions, and rumors of enemy troop movements (testing Scrutiny at a penalty to see if they're bogus or not).

And it'll require the most time to Pack Up.

This is a lot of effects, so I'm gonna think it over and try to narrow it down more later.

Askold has pretty much nailed it regarding benefits and disadvantages.

You could also include a boy scout troop, e.g. the youth of the refugees gathered together and given para-military training so they can be used as scouts, foragers etc.

Assuming there are still human communities out there, the refugees would logically have ties etc. Thus they are a good source for intelligence and rumours (as stated).

Perhaps most importantly, the refugees offer plot opportunities. The civvies are bound to cause disciplinary problems which will require a deft hand to solve (from soldiers fighting over women to demands for food or luxuries). Maybe a local crime lord and his enforcers are trying to rule the camp and running the black market. The refugees will generate rumours of caches of valuable goodies left behind (search & retrieve missions). They will have stories of cruel Orks who killed and ate their beloved village elder (or nursery filled with babies). Eliminating that Ork will raise the reputation of the players etc...(Kill missions) And other refugees will hear about a military camp providing protection and try to travel to it, perhaps requiring protection (escort missions) or maybe even leading a kunning ork band towards the base.

With civvies around, you can vary the missions considerably.

Finally posted the Refugee Camp and Landing Pad.