How much of this RPG are you going to collect?

By Kager, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

I have it all (discluding talent cards) thus far and plan to get each one as they come out. Getting them one at a time makes the wife not notice as much. :) I don't line them up on a shelf all together, but keep them in drawers are in divided up stacks so the wife doesn't notice the $ on a large shelf she probably wouldn't say much (she's actually played a couple RPGs with me), but being a veteran of the Marriage Wars I've learned not to flaunt such stuff if I want more without having to go through the added debate.

I have collections of RPGs on large shelves in my basement. I wouldn't be able to stand 15 years from now looking at my FFG Star Wars collection and knowing there is that one book missing that is now only available on E-bay for $60 with a torn binding, worn cover, and notes throughout.

However, I have a total of 5 dice sets already.

I am not convinced that it is possible to have too many sets of dice.

After all, what are you going to do when you exceed FR5? ;)

I agree that you can't have enough dice. My only frustration with the dice sets is that, in order to get 5 or 6 force/challenge dice, you have to amass a horde of the more common greens and purples. Still, even if you have 15 greens/purples, you can spread them out for ease-of-access for players who don't have their own.

The only thing I don't seem to be collecting are the adventure books and the subsequent Beginners box & GM screens after EotE's. Some of the content in the adventures like The Wheel or Cloud City would be nice but I generally don't find premade adventures as useful to me as new content, rules and modular encounters.

I will likely collect the sourcebooks for F&D but I'm going to be very curious as to how they tackle the Jedi career supplements. The core is already chock full of specializations, can anyone picture three more Warrior or Guardian specializations? More than a couple lightsaber forms? I don't know how they'd pull it off.

The only thing I don't seem to be collecting are the adventure books and the subsequent Beginners box & GM screens after EotE's. Some of the content in the adventures like The Wheel or Cloud City would be nice but I generally don't find premade adventures as useful to me as new content, rules and modular encounters.

I will likely collect the sourcebooks for F&D but I'm going to be very curious as to how they tackle the Jedi career supplements. The core is already chock full of specializations, can anyone picture three more Warrior or Guardian specializations? More than a couple lightsaber forms? I don't know how they'd pull it off.

They will probably draw specializations from the other two games in the same way Driver crossed over.

This may be where we will see things like Martial Arts, Brutes and such. Or Force takes on other careers like Starfighter Ace.

how much of the FFG Star Wars RPG books are you planning to purchase?

e29360fbcf4cc224958f9c77006bdb8b7c8625bb

how much of the FFG Star Wars RPG books are you planning to purchase?

e29360fbcf4cc224958f9c77006bdb8b7c8625bb

Everything. Eventually.

Except for the specialization decks.

Starters & GM screens for all three subcollections. For AoR, which I'm generally not interested in, I have the Beta and the Ace deck; for EotE and F&D, all the core & sourcebooks, plus a smattering of adventures and selected decks. The Adversary decks were a great addition, but I admit to a certain level of disappointment with the published adventures.

This may be where we will see things like Martial Arts, Brutes and such. Or Force takes on other careers like Starfighter Ace.

So maybe specializations with bigger emphasis on serving as alternate non-Jedi starts or conversely as subsequent advancements rather than sheer variety of Jedi professions. That's probably the best way to go (quite a few people did want to see non-jedi careers in F&D so more like Starfighter Ace could suffice).

Only things I haven't bought are the decks. I buy everything else as soon as I can after they come out because 1) I love the game, 2) the books are REALLY cool and have great production value, 3) I love the game :) , and 4) I want to get the new stuff into the generator as soon as possible.

I have a total of eight sets of dice (and haven't lost a single one yet!), both the beginner games, one of all the books, both GM screens, and I've even printed out archive material, like Under a Black Sun, Long Arm of the Hutt, and Operation: Shadowpoint, to run one-off games or run games at conventions. I'm actually kind of annoyed that the beginner games are really worth buying; I wish there was something other than the cards that I could say "Nah, I don't need that" about, but there isn't.

About the cards... I may be wrong here, but I think reference and monster cards like these first became popular after WotC bought D&D. Since all they really knew before that was MTG, and since MTG helped manufacture truckloads of cash for them, the first thing they thought of was to incorporate cards into D&D, which they did at least for 4e (I'm clueless about 3.5). Personally, I never got into CCGs, nor do I have any desire to do so, as I spend enough money on my hobby as it is. Because of that, I'm not really enamored with the idea of having cards for everything. For people who play CCGs, or who were introduced to fantasy/sci-fi gaming through CCGs, they probably have more appeal. As I began playing these these games a decade or two before cards became popular, I tend to find their use just a bit odd and not very... I don't know, "RPG-ish" :)

Since FFG puts out several CCGs themselves, including the SW one, it's only natural that they'd want to push the card concept onto their RPGs. I think it's very interesting, however, that they don't seem to be very popular with this crowd. I'm thinking we've got a lot of old-school gamers here :)

Cards in an RPG can be really useful. However they need to improve the experience just like anything else. In 3rd ed D&D the minis came with stat cards this was so you could use em without flicking back and forth through the monster manual, Fantastic!!!! 4th added actions to change up fights and avoid the "I will hit x" mentalities these also made good cards.

Now with SWFFG the enemy cards yet again remove book flipping if you want. The talent decks however are done better by the talent trees.

Everything except the talent decks, as I much prefer the players to have a talent tree with their character sheet.

Now with SWFFG the enemy cards yet again remove book flipping if you want. The talent decks however are done better by the talent trees.

Completely agree with this.

I would add that Gear cards would also be nice. Talents aren't something you quickly pick up. They can be added to a printed talent sheet between sessions or pauses in the game when people gather their experience. Gear can be picked up during a round of combat.

About the cards... I may be wrong here, but I think reference and monster cards like these first became popular after WotC bought D&D. Since all they really knew before that was MTG, and since MTG helped manufacture truckloads of cash for them, the first thing they thought of was to incorporate cards into D&D, which they did at least for 4e (I'm clueless about 3.5). Personally, I never got into CCGs, nor do I have any desire to do so, as I spend enough money on my hobby as it is. Because of that, I'm not really enamored with the idea of having cards for everything. For people who play CCGs, or who were introduced to fantasy/sci-fi gaming through CCGs, they probably have more appeal. As I began playing these these games a decade or two before cards became popular, I tend to find their use just a bit odd and not very... I don't know, "RPG-ish" :)

I think in FFG's case it was influenced by Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3ed (which the Star Wars dice system is based on). The enemy cards were a great part of that game.

I went into this thing believing that I'd collect all of the things. At this point I believe I've scaled it back to the three core books, and the Edge line of supplements and adventures.

I am missing two books right now and it infuriates me. As soon as I can, I'm walking down, grabbing all the books I can that are missing, smacking my money on the counter, and walking out. So far, I've kept up well enough that I've only ever been able to go one at a time; the idea of getting up to three products at once in invigorating!

Now that the final core rule book is on its way, how much of the FFG Star Wars RPG books are you planning to purchase?

I've already got a group standing by to play the FaD Beginner Game, so that's a given purchase. And I am definitely going to be buying Force & Destiny and every single supplement that is released for it. I have always loved playing Force users in games, especially in the Dark Times & Rebellion Era games. And the games in which I GM inevitably feature NPC Force users of all stripes, eventually :) Emperor's Hands, dark Jedi, Sith ghosts, Force-sensitive beasts, crazed Jedi, the old Jedi-in-hiding that comes along to aid the party for a short time, inquisitors...not to mention the odd Force tradition like the Jensaarai or Fallanassi :)

Other than FaD, I plan to eventually pick up the rest of the EotE and AoR lines, but my funding for gaming is rather limited right now, so have to prioritize. First, set aside money for FaD, then buy other books as required :)