PBF - Titanomachy Adventure 1

By jjjetplane209, in Dark Heresy Play By Mail/Email

Gentlemen, glad everyone is back. Let's try to get this moving along again if we can. Now that the introductions have been made, let's keep the explanation short since Sukrai has no doubt read along.

The refinery worker bows low, his knuckles intertwined in the symbol of the mechanicus.

"I'm glad I could be of assistance."

He nods to each of you in turn and leaves the way he came, returning to his menial task in the hot refinery.

"Oh? Well I'd be glad to render any assistance I can for the Legio! And I thank you for your praise in regards to my work. It's not something that's often looked on well by my fellow priests, yet many of the serving class have come to enjoy it. If time permits, perhaps you'll even see some of it on the way! I've been to those habs before, so I should be able to take you there. The Princep's death has caused a lot of grief lately, so hopefully whatever you find will be able to settle their feelings," Harlocke replied. In truth he was rather curious. An investigation was underway according to the scuttlebutt amongst the workers, but he didn't think they would show up on his doorstep. The man had to wonder what was going on with the higher ups if they were outsourcing their help...

Dracon nodded to Harlocke, a smile on his face.

"A chance I would greatly appreciate." he said, before continuing. "Our investigation was not initiated by the Legio, or even the Tech-hierarchy of this world, rather an independent, friendly party. Our inquiries are at the request of another of your order, who contacted our employer with a request for aid in the Legio's time of need. There are worries that the death of the Princeps, and the subsequent investigation is not as it seems and to properly honour the Legio and indeed the Princeps, we are here to ensure justice is served."

Dracon looked at Harlocke, studying the mans reaction to this new information as he spoke.

Jaspar listened to Dracon explain their situation and nodded when he had finished. Having nothing to add, he moved towards the door, eager to be on his way, but pulled out his Lho Sticks again as he left the stores front entrance. Putting one of the sticks to his lips, he lit it and breathed in the cloud of smoke as he waited for the expanding team to ready themselves to move on.

This moment of peace and quiet was a relief, even in war he had managed to find a few minutes here and there to relax his mind, but they had now been on the move for several hours and he was beginning to feel the wear and tear of the day nipping at his heels.

Oliver eyed Jaspar as he left. Was everything alright? "Dracon. Harlocke." Oliver nodded to each before trotting outside as well. Crinkling his nose from the fresh smoke, Oliver audibly cleared his throat to announce his presence.

"Dracon can take care of himself, I am sure. How are you holding up?" Oliver cast out his line. How many times have the group members actually spoken to each other rather than focusing on a task? With a lull in the investigation, now was a good time as any to break the ice.

/* I feel like splitting up here would be more productive. Dracon can debrief Harlocke while Jaspar and Oliver shoot the breeze. I chose not to post earlier since, like Jaspar, Oliver doesn't have anything to contribute to the conversation. This way, each group can progress independently rather than waiting for a particular person's response. Maybe. */

Edited by Asymptomatic

Jaspar noticed Oliver had followed him out of the store, and the quiet young Arbite had spoken, the conversation taking a personal turn for the first time. It surprised him slightly, but he smiled and responded.

"Not bad, could do with a sit down and a hot meal but everything in its time. We've been on the move for half the day and I didn't get chance to eat before the shuttle descended. Alcohol and forge fumes is not a sustainable diet!"

A small laugh escaped him as he finished speaking, slightly crooked teeth flashed a small grin before he inhaled more smoke and spoke again.

"You're right though, that Dracon can probably handle himself in there with the Cog-Boy. How are you coping? Must be a different life from that of the Arbites, heck I never imagined we'd be trawling through the belly of a forge first day on the job."

I don't mind splitting up, even if it's just for now, I'm happy to seperately investigate too if that is the plan. Just so long as Jaspar gets a hot plate of food down his gut XD.

"You know what they say: what alcohol lacks in nutrients, it makes up in spirit ." Oliver rocked his hand back in a drinking motion, pinky extended and a crooked half-smile. "I jest," the Arbitator coughed after a pause, "to both break both the ice and my nervousness. The current environment is... less than ideal. I am out of my element in multiple respects ."

/* Ba-dum tish. My preferred narrative approach is terse verbal ping pong to have properly timed responses. Else, characters answer and ask questions with the same post. */

Guys, feel free to split up and move around as you see fit. I like the character interaction, I'm just hanging back until you all decide to take an action. Remember, if you get moving again, we'll need to test navigation, though you'll have some help from Harlocke if he's assisting. Also, keep in mind where you're heading and be descriptive when you make an action.

Jaspar smiled at Oliver's joke, his comment about breaking the ice also made him nod.

"I can imagine, though you seemed especially uncomfortable in the forge..."

He paused, unsure of how to proceed.

"I'd be willing to bet there's an interesting story behind that, and your accordion too. Though I understand if you don't want to talk about it."

Jaspar looked at Oliver, knowing his question had probably brought up some painful memories but he was curious about Oliver's strange reaction to the hive, it had been beyond even the symptoms of claustrophobia he had seen in his years in the guard.

Is Sukrai still around? Not meaning to rush anyone but I'm sat here twiddling my thumbs waiting to move on, and Ting and Asym are in a bit of a holding pattern until we hear either way. Are you alive Sukrai?

Oliver waved his hand dismissively. "Thank you for your concern, but you have my permission to be more direct. As partners for the foreseeable future, the issue would come up regardless. I would rather bring it up on my own terms than leaving you, and Dracon, in the dark and dealing with the aftermath." Producing the squeezebox from his belt, clapping both hands around it, Oliver gazed through it into a past life.

"When I was a child, the voidship I was born on burst into flames. My parents died right in front of me. I wanted desperately to save them, but there was nothing I could do. Unable to leave them, I simply held them close and waited for death. Before I lost consciousness a midst the burning corridors and corpses, I somehow heard music floating above it all. My memories end there." Oliver sighed, tightening his grip on the squeezebox. "I am forced to relive that part of my childhood when I come across flames today. Yet, the music I heard then can bring me back to my senses. In hindsight, the out-of-place tune may have given me a reason to live, if only to hear the next note. When I later found myself aboard the voidship Motherwill, one of the first things I did was find an instrument to recreate the melody. This is the accordion that saved and motivated me for the past decade."

Yeah, sorry, got a brainfart along with a case of writer's block. Sorry for holding up everyone.

Harlocke's reaction was to scratch his chin in thought. "Hmmm, and now you're caught in the midst of Mechanicus politics eh? Tough break on that... Still, the Legio's been good to people around here, and the priesthood owes them if someone's been trying to sweep facts under the rug..." he said. "Very well then. If it helps out, and causes whoever is trying to cross wires with the Legio to wind up bluescreened, I'm game!"

Relief crossed Dracon's face like a shadow, happy the strange Tech-Priest had understood their plight and was sympathetic to the cause.

"Good, I'm glad we'll be able to count on you, maybe we'll even call each other friend before this is all over."

Dracon stood and removed the data slate bearing his copy of the directions Naveen had given them and presented them to Harlocke, a question on his lips.

"This is where we were headed before we got lost in the underforge, our navigator apparently not as good at reading written directions as we had hoped. Perhaps you know how to get there? Or perhaps even a shortcut?"

No worries Sukrai :) glad you're back.

As Oliver finished the tale of how he came to use his accordion, Jaspar was grimly silent. Tales of perished relatives were all too common, tales of accidents and catastrophes aboard void ships were even more common.

"A sad tale, though I'm glad you managed to find comfort in something, I've met men that have been crushed by similar events."

Jaspar moved from where he had been leaning against the wall, standing up fully and stretching.

"We should probably see what these two are up to, I can't wait much longer to stuff some grub down my neck, and I'd wager that whatever they're dishing out here is a **** sight better that those Emperor-cursed rations they issue in the Guard."

He moved back to the door of Harlocke's shop, banging on the metal surface before turning back to Oliver.

"I should be able to take you there. I've moved around the place often enough that I should be able to find anywhere we'd need to go down here anyways," he said as he took the dataslate in hand. "So, shall we collect your friends then and head out?"

Do I have to make a roll to lead them there, is it easy enough for him?

Oliver nodded. "You have my gratitude for listening, Jaspar. Talking about it helps me cope somewhat." Drumming his fingers on the squeezebox, Oliver replaced it on his waist. "If I may be so forward, I would like to hear about yourself sometime. Given the circumstances, perhaps we can start with your preferred cuisine?"

Edited by Asymptomatic

"Me? Well if you insist..." A small smile passed his face, it was refreshing for a colleague to wonder about who and where you were before they met you, in the guard his life had been too busy for real friends and anyone he had met along the way had likely forgotten his name as he had most of them.

"Joined the guard as soon as I was old enough to hold a Lasgun. Mother didn't want me in a hive gang, and Emperor strike me down if she wasn't the scariest thing I ever faced in my entire life. A Ork Nob is quite the sight when it's screaming and waving an axe at you, but at least you can shoot them with your lasgun!"

A laugh sounded from Jaspar, and he smiled again before continuing.

"I'm sorry, you asked about my favourite food. That has to be, without a doubt, well done Grox steak and sliced tates. Never tasted anything like it, and I'd give my left hand to have it again the way they made it back on Feriot VII."

Jaspar noticed that he had relaxed, truly relaxed for the first time since his feet had touched the rotten rooftop of the building all those hours ago. He was beginning to enjoy himself, thinking about the entirely new universe of possibilities that awaited him now that fate had taken him away from what he had assumed would be his lot in life.

"A fellow Grox-man, then! I inherited my penchant for meat from my mother-in-spirit, the Motherwill's Chief Chirurgeon. She took me under her wing and taught me a great many things, including the limits of my flexibility. Ah, the nights I spent in a supply cabinet three sizes too small. But I digress, that is a story for another time." Oliver let out a contented sigh through his nose. Speaking so freely to Jaspar was quite refreshing.

"I like my Grox sliced thin and cooked with acids instead of heat. Done right, the final product is so tender and juicy," Pushing away memories of meat dishes not 'done right', Oliver gestures gulping from a bowl, "you can practically drink the meat. How do they make it on Feriot VII?"

No worries Sukrai, with your assistance they can navigate without a test for this instance. Ting, Asym, I applaud your role play. There will be an incentive in it for each of you once we reach a break that would constitute a traditional RPG session.

Harlocke and Dracon rejoin the group, apparently interrupting a personal conversation between Oliver and Jaspar, the two militant men seeming to strike a chord with one another. Leaving his workshop behind, Harlocke guides you through the depths of the Forge. Rounding a corner, you see the doors leading into the refinery behind you, a missed turn having led you to this new companion, though you wonder where this ones loyalties will lie once he determines the nature of your investigation.

Deviating from the Executor's directions, Harlocke leads you to a small vehicle depot. After a brief pause scanning the depot's compliment, he points out a Land Crawler, a tracked work vehicle normally used for clearing overburden from mine cuts. This one, battered though it first appears, has been recently overhauled and is scheduled to return to the miners. Harlocke spends a moment conversing with another Tech-Priest, arranging the use of the vehicle for the short trip out to the main residential complex.

With a nod, Harlocke signals that the vehicle is yours, for the small price of its final delivery to the deeps. You clamber aboard, trying to avoid the worst of the grease stained surfaces, hard to do as it appears a century of the sludge coats some surfaces. Though a hard wired servitor is capable of navigating the heavy piece of machinery independently, Jaspar slides into the driver's seat, poking around, familiarizing himself with its layout. Unsurprisingly, it has much in common with the Chimera, so familiar to any man of the Imperial Guard. After a brief pause, Jaspar finds the ignition and put's the lumbering machine into gear, a broad smile on his face at the chance to tear around the mines, even if it's not as fast as his bike.

The journey to the worker habs is several kilometers, circumnavigating the bulk of the Forge and it outlying processing plants. Harlocke points the way, nudging Jaspar to keep him on the right course. All around you, the industry of the mines continues, even at what must be a late hour. The habs themselves though are alive, some sort of gathering taking place in the center of several large prefab buildings set into the recess of the mine wall. Jaspar halts the Land Crawler short of the perimeter, shutting down the engine. In the quiet you can make out the mass of raised voices, though from your current position you can't determine the exact nature of what's going on.

Edited by jjjetplane209

Dracon hopped down from the lumbering loader, the slowly settling dust cloud it had accumulated behind it sticking in his throat as he landed and a cough escaped him. He stretched his back and shoulders, the journey in the bulk hauler had made him stiff and he was glad be able to move around freely again. He turned and watched the others disembark from the vehicle and to see if he could get an idea what was causing the cacophony of raised voices, all the while raising his last Lho stick to his lips and lighting it.

"At last we arrive! Emperor knows I'm glad to get off that rattling death trap and to have my own boots on solid ground again." He took a long draw on the small white stick between his lips and gestured in the direction of the noise.

"Sounds like something is going on, we should probably keep a low profile until we get set up and a feel for the locals."

{Awareness test to discern the tone of the voices, i.e:Angry shouting or jubilant cheers. Per:39 (-20) Roll: 7 [1 DoS] }

Jaspar twisted the key of the hauler in it's housing and the thunderous growl of the engine at his feet spluttered to a halt, his ears ringing slightly as the noise he had begun to take for granted became suddenly absent. He sat for a second before shuffling out of the driving seat and out onto the ground beside the vehicle, looking about himself as he did so and seeing Jaspar stretch before lighting a Lho stick.

'A good idea... He thought to himself, following suit and lighting one of his own. He heard Jaspar mention his relief at not having to ride in the hauler anymore and a grimace crossed his face, remembering the noisy, uncomfortable journey they had just completed.

"I quite agree Dracon, I can see why they usually let the Servitors do the driving!" As Dracon continued, talking about the noise they could hear, and as Jaspar turned, he noticed Oliver nearby.

"While I agree with Dracon, first thing is first," He looked directly to Oliver before continuing,

"Time to get some food in our bellies. I'm sure our..." Now a shifty glance towards Harlocke, hoping he wasn't giving away the game before they could properly explain to the Tech-Priest who they really were.

"Employer would want us operating at peak efficiency, and I for one cannot do that on an empty stomach. I'd kill a man for a guard ration pack right about now."

Edited by ciaphascainfan1990

The noise of the gathering is drifting in and out as though the crowd is responding to something. While not overtly hostile, it's not exactly joyous. The tone is serious and you catch the odd approving shout.

Ting, are you intending to look for some food around the Land Crawler, or the town? What's everyone else doing?
OOC: In the town, probably stop at a stall and pick up a special. :)

Oliver shimmied out of his seat, itching to stretch his limbs once more. "On the other hand," he groaned, "making ourselves known early could give us the credibility and leverage we need to win the people over. I am not one for skulking around." Stretching and kicking his legs for good measure, Oliver eyed his comrades. "If we do want to keep our heads down though, hmm! a new wardrobe is in order. We do not exactly, huh! fit in here. But I do second the search for provisions."

Edited by Asymptomatic

Sukrai... Where are you man?

Dracon listened as the others spoke, responding once Oliver had finished.

"Nothing wrong with a little skulking my dear Arbite, in fact I based most of my career on it!"

He finished the Lho stick, flicking the glowing butt at the ground and grinding it into the gravel and dust with his boot heel before looking back at the other members if his small group.

"While I would normally approve of some cloak and dagger action, I imagine our purposes would be better served if we kept a low profile without trying to hide. Anything suspicious will only draw more attention, so we need to do this quickly and quietly, while they're distracted with whatever That is."

He gestured over his shoulder at 'that', his thumb pointing towards the noise they could hear.

"Oliver, I imagine you have experience dealing with large crowds and the like, why don't you and Harlocke take a wander round and see if you can't find out a bit more about what's going on here? Jaspar should probably quiet his stomach, I could almost hear it over the Hauler for Emperor's sake, see if you can't find us somewhere to stay while you're at it. I'll do what I can to secure us some more... local attire, so long as there are no objections?"

Sorry if it seems like I'm trying to force myself in to the 'in charge' position, I'm just trying to get us moved along and some kind of plan started to form. Any objections or counter-plans, shout out, I'm up for whatever so long as we try n keep up the momentum we just started to get back.