When is giving a light-saber appropriate?

By spacewolf5462, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

In my current game, players have earned around 100xp. The ranged characters are using heavy blaster rifles, and the ace has his own Y-wing (in addition to the groups transport ship). Is this around the right time to award the Force user a lightsaber?

They currently use an ancient sword. I'm just wary, because the AOR lightsaber was so OP that it wasn't balanced to give them it, at that point. I know the F&D lightsaber is more balanced, but is it about where it should be?

Edited by spacewolf5462

I personally believe that letting the players "quest" for their sword is always better than making it easy. It will be more memorable them. Not to mention it is like giving your player a vorpal weapon at second level.

There are those players who will always argue that it is printed int he books tat they can get one... remember the rules are guidelines.

I am in a AOR game right now where i am a Engenner(Scientist/FSExile). I am almost 200xp in.

I just now my GM just now is approaching me with a possible lead on finding some one to even help me understand the force and help me grow.

Keeping pace slow is more epic.

Not to mention it is like giving your player a vorpal weapon at second level.

Not quite. If it was the AOR lightsaber, then I'd totally agree, but the lightsabers in F&D start off very mild. (dmg 6, 2 crit, 1 breach, sunder).

Still really good, but I'm not sure if their that much better then a Heavy blaster rifle at this point.

Edited by spacewolf5462

I would suggest that it depends upon the theme of your chronicle, the level of grit in your chronicle, and whether or not the story would allow for one.

That is a pretty subjective call, and I apologize for this comment not being as helpful as you might wish. What is the rough background and themes of the campaign?

They're in the rebel alliance performing random secret missions to help the cause. The Jedi character had a lightsaber at one point before it was lost to him (in the backstory), and he's now working with the alliance to help stop the empire. In particular he wants to stop the sith inquisitors.

The adventure in the back of the Force and Destiny Core Rulebook is suitable for starting characters, and can result in acquiring lightsaber crystals. Knight-level characters are assumed to have had an opportunity to acquire a lightsaber by 150 XP in the beta rulebook. Those are the current data points on "intended" play, and they're available to anyone with a copy of the beta rulebook. Obviously it's going to vary from group to group and campaign to campaign in terms of how it shakes out, though, and "intended" doesn't always mean "right for your particular table." But if you want guidelines, those are what's currently available.

What are the over arching themes of your chronicle? Or are they just random adventures with no over arching theme?

How about your other players, do they have any big ticket items they want or are searching for?

Our tables a little wonky, because we rotate who's GMing, but with that in mind.

- There's no overarching story yet (we like to mess around and play the system out before we get our characters focused).

- Our Ace just got his own personal Y-wing (in the future he'll want a better ship to be sure)

- I'm still trying to figure out what the Scientist character wants

- The ranged Trooper now has a heavy blaster rifle, and was put in charge of the group (which is what he was hoping for)

- The force user has gotten nothing as of yet.

Okay. Yeah, having a rotating GM can really hurt a consistent story or theme, but as long as it works for you guys. :D

I would suggest that any time would be appropriate based on the other character's goodies.

I don't think there's really a "This XP = lightsaber" guide. My character is at about 200 earned XP and doesn't even realize he's a jedi yet - he has some passive "Force Emergent" talents and the sense power to give him adversary (also done passively). Very soon he'll be picking up the Mystic's "Adviser" tree... and still not realize he's force capable, until it makes sense in the story for it to be revealed. At that point, he'll start questing for a kyber crystal and some cool hilt materials.

Obviously, if you're starting with a F&D character, that won't exactly translate. :P

From a purely balance perspective, I think you're going about it exactly the right way based on the Beta's blurb about "Asymmetric rewards." Your ace has his own fighter (assuming he didn't start with it), your commando feels accomplished... I would run it as start the search, resolve the scientist along the way if you can, and finish off this wave of rewards with a crystal.

When you feel the PC should have a lightsaber.

As What said, there's really no hard and fast rule (at least that we know of) for when the GM should allow a FaD PC to obtain a lightsaber.

I'm playing in a campaign that is using the Dawn of Defiance campaign (with some potential tweaks) under the FFG system, and I'm playing a Seeker/Ataru Striker that started play with a "low grade synthetic kyber crystal" that has the same stats and modification options as the Athiss crystals from the Beta adventure, with the GM only giving each PC an extra 25 XP and some extra credits (+1500 I think); I got the 'saber instead of the extra cash. Of course, since this is set 10 years after RotS, I need to be very careful about when and how often I use that lightsaber; if I'm too cavalier with it, we're likely to have an Inquisitor showing up long before the party is ready to face such an adversary.

Conversely, I ran a Force and Destiny campaign that started out with Lost Knowledge, and the PCs that wanted them had full-blown lightsabers by the end of the second session, though again not quite as nice as the basic lightsaber given the higher crit rating and not as many modification options.

Yep, also remember that at that point lightsaber are pretty weak and have 2 important disavantages:

They are "engaged" and the "social reason". Everyone will almost insta-kill you just for wear it XD

I play the Doctor in our group and I do have to agree with Josep. Our jedi does spend a lot of time bleeding to death on the ground. I am force sensitive and have the heal/harm ability, I do commit a lot of my time to him. We have had eight sessions so far and I think I have pulled out my gun once, when someone was going to kill an innocent. I tend to play more of a passive character.

I had the possibility to buy a crystal, in a poorly setup idea, a jewelry store. I chose not to buy it for two reasons... First, I want it to be memorable and not get it that easy, at least the first time. Secondly, I do not want to make people aware that I am on the road to becoming a jedi. Having the healer down is not necessarily the best idea especially when I can heal people nine points just by touch. And I never use the force healing when people are conscious and others are around. It is always stim.

Remember this is not a video game where you can walk into a shop and see everything and what it costs. This is a role-playing game and you should enjoy fleshing out environments and memorable encounters that will be remembered for decades.

I must also add... STOP THE RULES LAWYERING. It slows down the game and takes away from it. Just have fun with the game and always do things that people do not expect.

Rules lawyering? I'm not really sure what you're going on about Tancradus.

I'd give it to them pretty soon. Everything in the OP makes it seem like it's about time for it.

Rules lawyering? I'm not really sure what you're going on about Tancradus.

It was meant as an aside and not directed towards you.

I had typed out a gigantic post detailing the exploits of my character, but considering that got swept off in a sudden reset; I decided to keep a terse version of it.

We recieved our first lightsaber about 10 sessions in an EOTE campiagn; it was a corroded one found under a corpse so it needed repairs. Another member had taken it for his own quite subtly yet when I was sent back to the ship, my character (by failing a disapline check) was compelled to take it as it's own. I examined it using a machanics check, rolled double trumph and and basically I ended up using wiring from the ship we had at the time to complete a repair on it. The ship was attacked by another merc band afterwards and thus only my character was aware of it's existance.

The EOTE lightsaber was powerful; but also limiting. Prior to joining the allience I had only weilded it once. All the other times it was a card I played close to my chest; first of all preventing the captain of that ship finding out (he was prone to pyschoactive bursts of aggressive, excessive authority, despite the fact we only elected him because it was standard policy to elect those with the most money) and secondly because using it was more trouble then it was worth. Lastly my character wasn't force senstive at the time thus didn't have that sedimental connection with it yet.

Fast forward 40 sessions later; I began development in the force and thus far have opted for the slow rising of a force senstive yet the lightsaber is far from the most powerful tool in the party. Blast and autofire weapons typically deal with more then the lightsaber ever will, but I'm quite content with it as the ultimate engaged weapon and it hasn't dominated fights. It's to the extent that I would actually consider allowing lightsabers to be maxed out like their EOTE and AOR equilents; provided that they are willing to take the bounty obligation that will likely come from that.

I am in a AOR game right now where i am a Engenner(Scientist/FSExile). I am almost 200xp in.

I just now my GM just now is approaching me with a possible lead on finding some one to even help me understand the force and help me grow.

Keeping pace slow is more epic.

Just an Update,

I just managed to get my light saber after having to go through ancient automated trials after discovering a abandoned training facility on Duxun. Our GM did a awesome job of making this side adventure for this very special.

The Saber he allowed me to acquire is the Basic build out of FnD Beta. We both agree that the builds in EOE /AOR are simply overpowered for a PC's starting saber.

We are using the Light saber rules write up from AOR (except the stats) that allows Brawn or Agility.

My XP at the point i got my saber is 210XP , 10 sessions in.

His words were at the end of the session...

"Impressive... most impressive... BUT you are not a Jedi YET!..."

Edited by Atraangelis

Not quite. If it was the AOR lightsaber, then I'd totally agree, but the lightsabers in F&D start off very mild. (dmg 6, 2 crit, 1 breach, sunder).

Still really good, but I'm not sure if their that much better then a Heavy blaster rifle at this point.

My impression is that the F&D base stats are that piece of gear before the stats of the crystal are taken into effect but all those sabers come with a basic unmoved Ilum crystal already installed (but, again, the crystal's effects on the saber are not taken into account for the saber's stat block because you can always swap the crystal). It's a bit confusing.

I recall somewhere it was noted that Edge/AoR lightsaber stats must include pretty modded-out crystals.

Edited by Kshatriya

My impression is that the F&D base stats are that piece of gear before the stats of the crystal are taken into effect but all those sabers come with a basic unmoved Ilum crystal already installed (but, again, the crystal's effects on the saber are not taken into account for the saber's stat block because you can always swap the crystal). It's a bit confusing.

I recall somewhere it was noted that Edge/AoR lightsaber stats must include pretty modded-out crystals.

Yes they have to be already kitted out LS or they were simply not play tested enough at those stages of the games development.

IN FND to get a Damage 10LS you have to have all kinds of attachments and better crystals to even come close to the over powered abomination in EOE and AOR.

Edited by Atraangelis

I'm not sure I'd call EotE/AoR sabers "overpowered." Certainly powerful and deadly and dangerous but that seems fitting for how nasty sabers are portrayed in the setting. But remotely close to Jury-Rigged Auto-fire, which was confirmed to be "working as intended?" I don't think so, not even for Ataru's Saber Swarm or Shii-Cho's Sarlacc Sweep, which are the closest you get for multiple-hit powers...and both of those require a lot more tree investment than it takes to get Jury-Rigged.

Sarlacc Sweep is basically Auto-fire in terms of how to activate it and even that is limited by only being able to target additional Engaged foes.

No, I'd call the EotE/AoR versions of the lightsaber overpowered, at least in comparison to most other melee weapons. They're not the true king of the hill in terms of weapon nastiness as the distruptor rifle (Crit 2, Vicious 5) and rifles with Auto-fire (particularly heavy blaster rifle and light repeating blaster since they're man-portable w/o too much trouble) can be just as bad if not worse, particularly given how troublesome the mechanics for Auto-fire can be if the PC has a means to generate plenty of Advantages on their attack roll.

About the one saving grace from a RAW perspective for EotE/AoR lightsabers was that there was no official skill, so the PCs would never be rolling proficiency dice without flipping Destiny Points like they were water. But since a number of folks house-ruled a Lightsaber skill (either by itself or as part of a Jedi career/specialization system) into their games, that limit was very quickly bypassed, putting the pre-FaD versions of a lightsaber into potential game-breaker territory, especially if the GM didn't enforce the idea that being too cavalier about openly brandishing a lightsaber would begin drawing all the wrong attention to the wielder.

So while an EotE/AoR lightsaber might not be able to clear the field as brutally as a rifle with auto-fire, the fact that the 'saber had Breach 1 meant that the first hit was going to nearly take down the target, and a single success and single advantage on the combat check generally meant three dead minions.

Edited by Donovan Morningfire

use the force luke, spellcheck. you guys remember how OP sabers were in SWd20? also where can we look up a post in the beta community forums? i cant see a link to the beta or those old forums anywhere.

Edited by oriondean