Movement and suffering fatigue

By zainho1990, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Can a hero or a monster suffer damage to move further such as he suffering fatigue?

No. Heroes can only spend fatigue to move additional spaces.

Monsters have no stamina and therefore cannot spend fatigue to get additional movement.

Edited by Indalecio

In the rulebook mentioned (page 13) that : Since monsters do not have a Stamina value , if a monster suffers any amount of fatigue , it suffers that amount of damage instead.

Hi, and welcome to descent :)

There is no mechanic in the game that allows you to voluntarily suffer stamina that you do not have. If you have 1 stamina available and need to use 2 for an ability you cannot suffer 1 damage to use the ability.

That rule is in place for any ability that would cause the figure to suffer stamina as damage (overlord card or something like the barghasts howl ability) when stamina is already at maximum. (so if a successful Howl happens and a hero is at max stamina they would take 1 damage)

Ah yes - but it's not the same thing at all.

If an effect would cause a monster to gain fatigue, it does take damage instead. You have tons of abilities and conditions dealing fatigue, if one of these targets a monster then it would take damage instead for every point of fatigue it should have gained.

But monsters cannot deliberately use fatigue into damage to move extra spaces. They have no stamina and can therefore not spend fatigue to perform fatigue-based actions or abilities.

EDIT Ninja'd :)

Edited by Indalecio

Not to confuse you, but there are some cases where fatigue is not being paid as a cost, but suffered as a consequence (there is a difference in the wording where suffering the fatigue is a side effect, not what you are doing to enable something else) where a hero can make a decision that causes him to take damage.

For example, you may move out of a space adjacent to a master spider- even though you will suffer a fatigue- regardless of whether or not you have already suffered fatigue up to your stamina.

Edited by Zaltyre

Right, as other have said already, it basically boils down to whether or not you're losing fatigue voluntarily. If you choose to suffer fatigue in order to do something, you can't choose to do that and suffer wounds instead because you're out of fatigue. Spending fatigue to gain MP is always voluntary, for example.

If you choose to take an action that does not cost fatigue, and you involuntarily suffer fatigue loss as a result (such as the spider ability Zaltyre mentions) then you can still do it and you suffer wounds instead.

Edited by Steve-O

Hi there. I have a question about using fatigue points during combat.

I know you can volunteer to use fatigue to gain MP but what about combat? Can you use fatigue to do an additional attack.

e.g. Let's say that Grisban on his first action, moves to the dragon, his second action is to try to hit the dragon, which he is successful and deals damage to the dragon. Can he spend a fatigue to do another action (i.e. attack the dragon?)

Clarification is appreciated!

Hello, and welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately in regards to your question - Nope,

Nothing in the base rules allows this - you have 2 actions total and may trade stamina for movement points (this does not cost an action).

Some skills, cards or items may allow you to gain an extra action but not as you have described.

Edited by Underworld40k

Thanks for the welcome Underworld40k and for the clarification.

Just started playing with my son and his friends and we're have a blast. Still working out the kinks in the game. I get to play the big bad overlord and just the way the rules we're stated in the rules --"Heroes voluntarily suffer fatigue in order to use skills or move additional spaces." We all got the additional spaces part but its the "use skills" that kinda tripped us up. We interpreted the use weapon is a skill. So naturally they're kicking my butt.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll have more questions but for now...Gonna kicks some butts!

No worries. The game is a lot of fun, doesn't take long to pick up. Takes a few games to learn all the little rules and nuances. I am going through the same process

Hi, I have a question regarding the movement topic.

1. Can a hero, on max fatigue, spend health to extend movement (not being close to master cave spider)?

2. Can a hero, NOT on max fatigue, spend health to extend movement (not being close to master cave spider)?

Thanks

On 11/14/2020 at 6:31 PM, Fr1f1 said:

Hi, I have a question regarding the movement topic.

1. Can a hero, on max fatigue, spend health to extend movement (not being close to master cave spider)?

2. Can a hero, NOT on max fatigue, spend health to extend movement (not being close to master cave spider)?

Thanks

You may never by yourself suffer fatigue more than your stamina

You may never volontary suffer health in exchange of stamina

If an effect, more oftenly due to a monster effect or overlord cards or plot card, force a hero to spend fatigue and that hero is full, then, these fatigues are exchanged into hearts, but this is the only case where is it possible

Don't forget

1) the Runic Knowledge - which you can suffer more fatigue than your stamina https://wiki.descent-community.org/Runic_Knowledge

Runic Knowledge
"A Runemaster may use Runic Knowledge even when he suffered fatigue up to his Stamina and suffer a heart instead. In this special case, the surge is the cost to use the ability, and the suffering of a fatigue is an involuntary
result, not part of the cost."

2) and the most famous Descent CRRG where (almost) everything is answered already: https://descent-community.org/index.php/crrg/