Open groups and Threat?

By Slade000, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

So when a missions states the Imperial has say 3 Open groups I would choose for example elite Storm Troopers, Royal Guards, and say Trandoshans. What happens when one of those groups is killed? Can I later on once I've accrued enough threat redeploy them?

Also under special setup of certain missions when it states double the threat level and resolve an optional deployment, do I then spend that threat and put into play one of those groups? And then do I get my normal turn one base threat?

I asked the same question in my 'Loose Cannon' thread. Here is how I think it would go:

1. You get a special 'start of game' boost to your treat equal to twice the treat level of the game

2. You can spend that treat with an 'optional deployment' right then and there or you can bank the treat for later

3. During each turn's end phase you gain treat again based on the mission's treat level and then you can spend your treat by performing an 'optional deployment' or keep banking it

I have not received any replies to my post yet, but after re-reading that mission, that is the what I am thinking is correct.

Edited by CaesarCovi

When one of your open groups are defeated, follow the rules for defeated:

As for the double threat question, you are exactly right. You get a one-time threat boost to resolve an optional deployment, and then proceed as normal.

"Defeated" RRG, Page 10

During a campaign, when the last Imperial figure in a non-unique group is defeated, the Deployment card is returned to the Imperial player’s hand and can be optionally deployed later in the mission.

You can think of the optional start deployment as giving you an option to select one of the starting deployment cards instead of the mission rules forcing you to have some specific one.

As for the mechanics, just do exactly what the instructions tell you to. Whatever threat you don't spend for the optional deployment remains and is added to during the increase threat phase.

You also get any non-unique deployment cards back into your hand when all figures on that card have been defeated. You can then redeploy them at a later time. Note that usually the reinforcement cost is lower, so you may want to use that too.

Edited by a1bert

And what's the Reinfocement cost? Is that on say the Stormtroopers card it has a big 9 and then beside it a smaller 3? Meaming I could put one trooper back in for 3, two for 6, or all 3 for 9?

Thats correct Slade000. The large number is the Deployment cost and the small number is the Reinforcement cost.

And then do I get my normal turn one base threat?

By normal Turn one base threat, you mean the first threat injection at the status phase of round one? Then yes. If you mean "after setup in the beginning of round one, you get threat" then no. There is no threat injection at the start of the game unless a mission injects it during special setup.

Making sure to clarify that, because there is a "starter guide / Tracking sheet" going around that says you start the game with the missions base threat.

Unless I'm wrong on that, but I can't find anywhere in the rules that states that you get threat anywhere outside of a status phase and mission events/special setup.