A New Hope... and how to dash it

By ThatJakeGuy, in Imperial Assault Campaign

I'm about to (after considerable effort) begin a campaign of Imperial Assault as the Imperial player. I've played (and won) a few Skirmish games and like to think I have a good grasp of the basic tactics of running, shooting, and getting objectives. However, what are some tips for the campaign specifically? What Heroes are the most dangerous and deserve focus fire? Is it better to try to kill rebels or run out the clock? What class decks work best with what playstyles (in my case, I like to play very aggressively)? What other miscellaneous advice would you give to a man who just wants to keep order in the Galaxy?

Gideon is REALLY dangerous with four heroes on the table. Make him withdraw.

Do not look at yourself as a "Dungeonmaster". You are trying to win! :) Play every dirty trick the campaign book lets you play from the events because the heroes are powerful and if they are coordinated they will trounce your troops quickly. Don't be afraid to make a hero withdraw even if it means that one player will sit out. Even if it isn't your objective, it will more often than not ease the pressure. The psychological effect is astounding when facing a possible withdrawal.

Do not forget to use your class skills and agendas! Do not forget to use the special abilities on your deployment cards! Especially the elite abilities are often overlooked!

That's my 2 cents. :)

Class Decks

I haven't looked at Military Might in depth, but it seems to be the most straight-forwardly aggressive class for the Imperials. Technological Superiority is cool, but the real power doesn't pick up for a while. I'd say at about 7 or 8 experience, you'll start having some killer combos (if you save your XP and spend it right). Subversive Tactics is more of a control style of play. It adds strain and can punish heroes for resting to recover from strain. One of the class cards even gives figures the Bleed keyword off a surge, which of course forces the heroes to choose whether to lose an action to remove the condition or just take the strain.

You'll find some missions have time pressure on the Rebel player, while others have time pressure on the Imperial player. One thing that carries over to all missions is the hidden information, the Empire is full of surprises. Surprise is the imperial player's greatest asset. As the Empire player, spend time reading up on the missions, including the side missions. Knowledge and surprise are your greatest allies.

Letting the rebels get lots of money will make your game a lot harder later in the game. Sometimes if I know I'm going to loose the mission I am going to do whatever I can so they cant get that last two or three crates. Games were they are going to win a extra 100 credits per hero do whatever you can, player your agenda cards to prevent this. My first two full campaigns those rebels had so much money they have every single good item, stat bonus cards, accessories. If they already got all those crates... the rebels wining the mission is like a double victory for them.

Stats effects, when your mission is to flip those rebel scum, they are your best friend. Being able to bleed and stun a enemy effectively takes them out.

When the rebels get masterstroke for the commander Gideon, he is your number one target.

Garkahn the wookie... Yea he killed Vader in one Round with the help of the commander, round 1....Do not underestimate the rebels.

Just from reading this thread and ones like it, Gideon has an automatic death mark if my players choose him for their team. Also thanks to you guys, I'll be making liberal use of Nexu and Royal Guard. Thanks for all the great tips! The campaign starts tonight, and I'm confident I can take down those Rebel Scum

I don't really think Nexu are all that great. They're mostly good for blocking lanes, but even the elite versions are fragile enough that they won't last long without good luck on defense rolls. The elite probe droid has been pretty good when it's showed up in my campaign, though.

Nexu are great for one reason: They eat faces.

Besides the aforementioned face-eating awesomeness. Nexu are trickier to use because they are so big, but they are mobile enough to where you should easily be able to keep the Nexu lurking until just the right moment. Nexu are meant for hit and runs, jump in, eat a face, and get out of LOS.

Personally, i like the "hopscotch" maneuver where you use lesser units to shield the nexu from harm:

[_][_][_][#]
[_][ H ][_][#][#][#][#][#][#][#]
[_][_][_][_][_] [ N ][ N ][ _ ][_]
[_][_][_][#][#][#][_][_][#][#]

You have the Nexu move forward 4 spaces, and then you perform a normal attack:

[_][_][_][#]
[_][_][ N ][ N ][_] [ _ ][_] [ _ ][_]
[_][_][ N ][ N ][_] [ _ ][_] [ _ ][_]

Then with your two movement points: you move 1 space, pounce 3 more (which is legal, since you are not attacking with it) and get right back behind the troopers.

[_][_][_][#]