Dark Eldar/Eldar help

By westlakem, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Strategy

I've been playing for about 2 months, and am still having trouble with this game. This is my current deck. I went with Dark Eldar since they seem to fit my play style best. The control/"choke" aspect seems to work well enough, but the deck feels like it's lacking the push it needs to win.

Warlord: Packmaster Kith

Army:

2x Murder of Razorwings

3x Sslyth Mercenary

3x Rogue Trader

2x Coliseum Fighters

2x Incubus Warrior

2x Biel-Tan Warp Spiders

2x Eldar Survivalist

3x Warlock Destructor

4x Kith's Khymeramasters

2x Baleful Mandrake

2x Syren Zythlex

3x Klaivex Warleader

Events:

2x Raid

3x Foretell

2x Superiority

2x Pact of the Haemonculi

3x Power from Pain

2x Doom

Attachments:

1x Agonizer of Bren

2x Suffering

Support:

1x Khymera Den

2x Archon's Palace

My card pool consists of 2 core sets and the three current warpacks. I most likely won't be getting a third core, so I want to get the most out of the cards that I do have. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Probably not what you want to hear, but getting that third Core Set is very important to attaining high deck quality.

As a starting point though, try adding 3 Promotions and 3 Rogue Traders to boost your overall command strength, dropping Foretell and Power from Pain for this.

As mentioned by Prepare for War, the 3rd Core set often is essential to get a consistancy within the deck and thus feel more geared towards playing the game you want to play. Which in turn matches the playstyle you aimed for it.

However, I do think that otherwise your on the right route.

Ideally I think your deck would look something like this: Which means you'll need to get the 3rd Core set.

Now there are many other routes to go, but I do want to give you some personal thoughts on certain cards (who are not part of this deck anymore):

- Sslyth Merc: Can be a great card if your Command presence is superior and if you really have the need for it. Unlike it's ability might sketch for you this card does not work very well with the card-choke Dark Eldar now has. Currently resource-choke is not that much around (barring Raid and winning Command struggles) and as such I would drop it for more consistant cards, such as Void Pirates, Rogue Traders or even Foretell.

- Colesieum Fightes: Is a great card but due to lack of Command icons and usefull body I would rather go for the more powerfull Command presence. The main power of Dark Eldar remains a initial card-choke that hits hard. Having a good command presence aside from this strategy means your often much more able to deny your opponent cards (and find the other Events you want to find) which often means games will go easier for you if you have that explosive choke-start.

- Incubus Warrior, great Command but 1 HP is currently not great for the meta. I would drop them for the upcomming Blood Reavers but this isn't a real option now.

- Biel-Tan Warp Spiders/Eldar Survivalist. I understand your plans for the both of them. But the biggest advantage of card-choke is that you can set up battles who are easy won (no cards = no shields) as such I would drop them aswell.

- Baleful Mandrake/Syren Zythlex are arguably two of the best 3 Costed cards out there. Sure Syren is unique but if you can chain them your opponent will continue to have to deal with bad battle set ups. Which is good for you!

- Raid/Suffering are the 2 Shielders of DE. Maximizing on that is always a good thing.

- Power from Pain/Doom both are excellent cards but arn't always totally in your control. With that I mean, Power from Pain is only good if your opponent is running behind or has a huge single drop. Doom on the other hand is only good if your running behind and don't have 3-4 Tokens in your HQ. I would drop the both of them for Archon's Terror. Again the advantage is that you can set up battles who are really hard for your opponent to do (Syren Zythlex and Mandrake contribute to that) if your able to Archon's Terror the piece that would allow him to come back into the battle, the battle often is yours (and thus eventually the game)

- A single Twisted Lab allows you to deal with AoE, Ranged and a couple of more things. Which in turn again allows you to set up battles who are really hard for your opponent to win.

I hope the above tips helped and your willing to get that 3rd Core, I am sure you'll be very happy to have it.

Many cards in the deck are also fully optional and open for change. For me these are:

- Superiority

- Foretell

- etc.

Cheers,

While I disagree with Killax on many small details, its worth noting that he and I (and many others) have come to very similar conclusions about the shape of competitive decks, which more or less:

- having at least 80% of the cards in your deck cost 2 resources or less,

- carrying 28-33 Army Units, with at least 25 of those Army Units having command icons

- using at least a few cards that have 2 shields on them.

Picking which cards help reach those targets is often where the discussion takes place, and streching outside of the above guidelines is reasonable if you can justify how it helps your deck more than hurts it.

My Dark Eldar look like this:

Warlord:
1x Packmaster Kith (Core Set)

Army Unit: (31)
4x Kith’s Khymeramasters (Core Set)
2x Eldar Survivalist (Core Set)
3x Hellion Gang (Core Set)
3x Klaivex Warleader (The Scourge)
3x Murder of Razorwings (Core Set)
3x Rogue Trader (Core Set)
3x Sslyth Mercenary (Gift of the Ethereals)
2x Syren Zythlex (Core Set)
3x Void Pirate (Core Set)
3x Warlock Destructor (Gift of the Ethereals)
2x Wildrider Squadron (Core Set)

Attachment: (7)
1x Agonizer of Bren (Core Set)
3x Promotion (Core Set)
3x Suffering (Core Set)

Event: (8)
2x Pact of the Haemonculi (Core Set)
3x Archon’s Terror (Core Set)
3x Raid (Core Set)

Support: (4)
1x Khymera Den (Core Set)
2x Archon’s Palace (The Howl of Blackmane)
1x Twisted Laboratory (Core Set)

Note that I run 7 cards that cost 3 or more, and Killax runs 9: both below 20% of the deck. Our decks are pretty **** similar in fact.

Thank you both for responding. I did end up buying a third core, and have tweeked my deck. I haven't had much opportunity to play since I got the third core, but hopefully it'll go better now.