Question re: Deadly ability

By CthIngo, in Doom

I'm a bit unsure about the special ability "Deadly" - I play the german version of Doom and the wording in the translation differs in a tiny way that could make a big difference, so I'd rather ask here for help:

Is the +1 damage for each Deadly icon added to the roll ( before evaluating armor vs. damage) or after evaluating the actual damage?

Example

Damage rolled 4, Armor 2, equals 2 damage inflicted to the target.

If the weapon used would have 1 Deadly-Icon would it be resolved this

a) Damage rolled 4 + 1 for deadly icon = 5, Armor 2, still 2 only damage inflicted

or

b) Damage rolled 4, Armor 2, 2 damage + 1 for deadly icon = 3 damage inflicted

way?

If b) it'd be really deadly to the smaller foes with one (almost, if no failure) guaranteed hit...

Thanks for your help!

Before. Something like Special Ops would be seriously imba if you added +2 AFTER diving for armor.

Yup, you have to add the +1 to the hits before comparing to armor to see the actual and definitive damage.

Just imagine the 'deadly' icons as bonus 'bullet holes' on the dice.

Thanks for all your answers! I guessed so, but the german translation of this abilities description was pretty much open to interpretation. Now the marines will have a harder time tomorrow lengua.gif

CthIngo said:

Thanks for all your answers! I guessed so, but the german translation of this abilities description was pretty much open to interpretation. Now the marines will have a harder time tomorrow lengua.gif

Yeah, if you added pip(s) after Armor division, Special Ops would auto-kill any 2 wound monster with bare hands, unless they roll X gran_risa.gif .

Special Ops is regarded by my marine team as being the 2nd best card out there (Killer Instinct just narrowly beats it out).

God help the invaders if you actually get both Spec Ops cards. One punch is stronger than a regular shotgun blast.

Chainsaw + Spec Ops + Spec Ops + Killer Instincts = Horrible Mess

Try:

Chaingun / Spec Ops / Perfect Aim / Assassin

Many larger beasts don't stand a chance there.

Tibs said:

Try:

Chaingun / Spec Ops / Perfect Aim / Assassin

Many larger beasts don't stand a chance there.

Speaking of aimed + blow-through: Was the question wether discarding an aimed order makes all blow-through attacks aimed answered?

I don't know. I play that it only applies to the first attack, because even if you aim a chaingun, the fact that you're raking it across the monsters causes you to lose focus slightly.

We've played it so far that, take Shotgun + Aim, you can pick which attack you use Aim on.