Designing a Vampiric Campaign

By Cogniczar, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

If you want to base them off of WHFRP vampires then all chaos gods dislike vampires.

If that was aimed at me, I am only looking at the 40k versions of the various Chaos Gods.

That being said ... what beef does Fantasy-Nurgle have with creatures not dying? I thought this was normal for all of Nurgle's creations in Fantasy, too? Something that is dead cannot host any plagues! :ph34r:

Come to think of it, a case could be made for all the other gods, too:

• Khorne: as long as they spill enough blood, what does it matter that they take some for themselves? (Vlad the Impaler) In fact, is "drinking blood" not fairly common in Khornate cults?
  • Tzeentch: humans don't change, either - but vampires could make excellent schemers (or are WFRP vampires 100% immune to mutation and this is the issue?)
  • Slaanesh: this is probably the toughest one. If WFRP vampires are truly devoid of sensual experience (insofar that they cannot actually "enjoy" the blood they drink, or don't care about their fashion), then the only solution would be a different type of vampire ...

Lyn I don't know. They're picky I guess?

The Slannesh thing is they live so long they get used to the experience, and vampires eventually reach a point where they don't want to experience new things after a certain age.

Nurgle wants permanent death and rebirth, vampirism is a sidestep.

Tzeetch is well Tzeetch, if he can't mutate them than he isn't pleased.

As for Robin jeeze the End Times sound really lame.

Its GW destroying the warhammer world.

Chaos vampires is small potatoes.

As of book III we got elf rage zombies, courtesy of the highelves waking up Khaine.

The Slannesh thing is they live so long they get used to the experience, and vampires eventually reach a point where they don't want to experience new things after a certain age.

Nurgle wants permanent death and rebirth, vampirism is a sidestep.

Tzeetch is well Tzeetch, if he can't mutate them than he isn't pleased.

Hmm, I suppose that makes sense, sort of.

The Slaanesh one is a bit meh, though, considering how old certain CSM must be by now. On the other hand, it could be argued that 40k offers more ways to experience stuff (more drugs, medical tech to survive experiences that'd otherwise kill ya, etc), so that it takes a lot longer to "wear out" and the cycle of damnation is a bit deeper.

And viruses and plagues cannot flourish in a dead body. Then again, in 40k we've got the Plague Zombies ...

I suppose things just work a bit differently between both settings by now, courtesy of Fantasy's Undead not having to do anything with the Warp? I'm not an expert on Warhammer Fantasy, but I liked the old idea that they could be connected. :/

Then again, in 40k we've got the Plague Zombies ...

I suppose things just work a bit differently between both settings by now, courtesy of Fantasy's Undead not having to do anything with the Warp? I'm not an expert on Warhammer Fantasy, but I liked the old idea that they could be connected. :/

I can't say I'm an expert either, but from what I've ever been able to tell there is an afterlife (or many since it's a series of Pantheons) and then there's the warp. A vampire's soul is denied to both of those.

I can't say I'm an expert either, but from what I've ever been able to tell there is an afterlife (or many since it's a series of Pantheons) and then there's the warp. A vampire's soul is denied to both of those.

That might be the crux of the matter. In 40k, the "afterlife" and the warp are one and the same (at least according to Codex: Eldar), and the state of undeath itself a warp-induced corruption of the body, at least if Plague Zombies and -Marines are anything to go by.

"Diseased things which should be dead, yet are not, roam the landscape, and skeletal Mortarion rules over all, enthroned upon the highest peak of the world."

-- WD #265 - Index Astartes : The Death Guard

I guess it all depends on if a vampire has a soul...

Hello world of darkness my old friend.

Or we could take the Buffyverse explantion that vampires are daemonic spirits inhabiting corpses.

Edited by Robin Graves

To me vampires are one of the most strongest and interesting fantasy creatures there are in folklore and legends, not to mention all the new cultural versions of them. I would have to say that making a vampiric campaign in the 40k universe would be hard because there is defiant vampire other than the Blood Angel Space Marine chapter (Angelic badazz Vampires) There are a lot of other races that could use some tweaks to make them work.

-Literally any cult of Khorne or Daemons, because of blood lust and strength

-Cult of Slannesh, because of desire for blood lust and strength bonuses if you play with psychic powers and they look pale.

-Blood Angels who have fallen to the Red thirst, because they have had their humanity stripped away they are stronger than regular humans and possible other space marines, wings (iffy), pale, blood lust, they are crazed and more beasts at this point so that's a negative for complex story

-Nurgle because of old legends and folklore mixed in with pop culture. Legends from Greeks, Romans, Mesopotamians, and Hebrews describe vampires as bloated being, who suck on the blood of the living, wearing shrouds and cloth clothing, For pop culture references it would be Nurgle powers make them very strong also psychic powers can cause biological anomalies and so on. Also they can raise ghouls, undead zombies and more plus most things Nurgle are very hard to kill in combat.arch.

For your specific request I would say Night Lords or Dark Eldar

-The Night Lord legion, twisted or perverse because pale complexion, forces of chaos make them even stronger, use of physiological warfare to instill terror in their foes, chaos corruption could make them blood lustful, can be known for causing painful deaths, they decent from the darkness on jet packs very vampire like, have wings and bat icons. Also chaos so they use daemons it is just they don't predate the Imperium but originate from the birth of the Imperium so, kinda close, mabye do some hollowed antiquity from the Imperium. Nurgle worshiping will allow them to use zombies, ghouls and so on in order to use psycho warfare. Since it is chaos they could use blood to make themselves immortal and also stronger. Me personally I would chose this one.

-Dark Eldar, twisted or perverse versions of their kin, human appearance, pale, dark cultured. They originate from the birth of slannesh so predates the Imperium of Man as we know it today, use of the webway allows them to travel a lot. Their desires in the torture, pain and suffering of others makes for horror settings. For immortality a group of Dark Eldar (your vampires) could have found a way to use the blood of others to make their lifespan longer in a way consuming the souls of others, in turn it makes them stronger too. Eldar are also very intelligent so it gives you a large amount of creative leeway. And their emotions are considered 10 times more powerful than men so it adds a spice to your nemesis's personality and feelings. For their slaves they could have used a plague or technology that allows them to control humans in a undead like state. So I think for your specifics are pretty firm here except the use of Daemons No Eldar consorts with Daemons sadly.

Vampire profiles would be more difficult to form i dont have any off hand but i would say focus on certain traits.

If you wanna do a psycher he would need Bio, Telekinesis, or/and telepathy

Talents would need to be heightened senses, skilled use with swords, and any combate traits are good to!

For characteristics start basic like research Space Marine's, humans, daemons, Dark Eldar or which one you want to do and then increase or decrease some based on ideal need, Weapon Skill increase at least 15, Billistic skill varies if your Vamps shoot alot then yes on BS, S up at least 15 or 10 same with tough, Agility up a 10 mabye atleast a 5 if Space Marine, your big bad should be HIGH intelligence so at least up a 15. perception no doubt a 20 because Vampires natural perception, Willpower up a 5 or even down but Influence should be up by 10, and wounds need to be plus 15 for a normal vamp and 20 for your Big bads. For their flaws would be pride, over compensation or even over confidence in their ability so when u the GM wield the Vampire make him want to toy with the Acolyetes make him want to not perceive them as a threat and the Acolyte's goal is to make themselves seem like a weak target. In combat a your Vamp is highly combative getting up close and personal, can kill nearly anything one on one, so strength in numbers will increase acolyte lifespan. Also your Vamps will wear light armor to make him as agile as possible, this is also a weakness. Since they have light armor and high toughness they wont take that many wounds from large amount of weak attacks your need precise incredibly strong one shots to the chest or face, like a auto-cannon or a Thunder-hammer, it will go through their armor and no way in hell do they have a high enough toughness to take on that kind of damage. So for their profiles play around with this a lot, run some play tests with a friend or your slef and make sure it fits what you want before the game. Also your big Boss for the campaign should defiantly be nearly twice as strong as the normal or at least 50% stronger.

Another tip play around with animal or beats profiles, like mkae some bats or warhounds your vamps can use. look beistiaries from other books Only War Dark heresy one and so on, the best would be Death Watch really.

I hope this helps and good luck in your game!

Or you could simply go with a cult that's dedicated around both Khorne and Nurgle specifically, leading to the aforementioned frenzied blood sucking eternal living disease spreading remorseless murderers. They have gotten eternal life through their dark pact with the gods, spreading the gifts of Nurgle by raising plague zombies and killing in the name of Khorne.

Edited by Gridash

Ive gotten alot of great ideas from this thread, and I have to say thank you for everyone who posted here. For now, I am not going to post any follow ups, as I want to run a campaign now and not give away any spoilers. =D

But that's no fun!