Ideas for playing with limited numbers

By ColonelCommissar, in Only War Game Masters

I'm trying to run a game of Only War at my school RPG club, but I only have very limited numbers (five at the absolute ideal everything-is-perfect level, two normally). I'm wondering if it's even possible to run this game, or if I should just give up and surrender to the DnD and homebrew monopoly.

My current plan is to create DMPCs using normal character creation to bulk out the squad (draw up characters for the five Guardsman classes, have the players create their own Guardsmen then fill in the gaps) but I'm not totally sure if this is going to work. Do other people have experience with small-numbers games? How did you make it work?

Its perfectly viable. Focus on something unique that can be really well done with two playes (graduates of a Schola perhaps?)

Some types of games are suited more for small groups rather than bigger ones, anyways. Why not look into all players sharing a single tank, for example?

Thanks to both of you for your quick replies.

(graduates of a Schola perhaps?)

Do you mean something akin to having a Commissar attached to a squad?

Why not look into all players sharing a single tank, for example?

While I like this suggestion, the only problem is that in the Regiment Creation (the only bit we got done last session) we agreed on a Light Infantry regiment. However, I could persuade them to switch to an Armoured Regiment.

Edited by ColonelCommissar

While I like this suggestion, the only problem is that in the Regiment Creation (the only bit we got done last session) we agreed on a Light Infantry regiment. However, I could persuade them to switch to an Armoured Regiment.

I see! Well, there are many different types of Light Infantry regiments - if you can find (or create) one where it makes sense for there to be small squads, you can easily have the standard comrades bulk up the team size to make it look right. It could be part of the regiment's tactical doctrine to split up its platoons into several smaller squads with 5-6 troops each, rather than the usual 10?

It shouldn't be too hard to simply narrate the existence of the other squads on your players' flanks - the game would simply focus on each small squad being responsible for achieving its assigned "sub-objective". You could even use this as a justification to throw in help (players can radio the NPC squads for assistance) or complications (perhaps an enemy overpowers an NPC squad and is now flanking the players) as the situation demands.

Or perhaps the regiment has been fighting the Emperor's wars for years already, which has taken its toll in bodies, resulting in most platoons now being under-strength. Just as an in-setting justification of sorts for such a small squad.

Alternatively, you could also base the campaign around the few surviving members of a platoon that was originally much larger. Maybe their transport crashed, or they are the only ones of their company who managed to withdraw out of a Stalingrad-type pocket. This game would focus on the players navigating through hostile terrain and somehow finding a way back to friendly lines ... if they still exist. Not your typical OW game, for sure, but it could be interesting.

I had a game where there were just two of us. I went Commander and effectively we had a 7 man squad right there after a while. We had some NPCs to bulk us up in the meantime. Usually helps.

Couple of players riding around in a Centaur could work a treat, though, with extra Centaurs getting added as required due to other players attending.

A few more options for two PCs:

1) sniper and spotter

2) artillery spotters

3) commander and 2nd in command

4) recon and scouting

5) heavy weapons team like in the tabletop: I.e. heavy gunner and loader/spotter

I've added some stuff to the regimental history to justify smaller squads (they're trained to operate independently in small fire teams of four. I'll have the other half of the squad accompany them, but be at a distance in combat). As it is, this probably reflects the fluff better anyway, since as Highborn Light Infantry, they're the Albion 95th Rifles, and the original 95th Rifles fought in small units.

Thanks for the help!

First time I ever played Only War, it was only two players. I had the Operator of a Hellhound, the other player was the commander/Sergeant. Our NPC squadmates tied themselves onto the sides. We had a blast.

Currently I gm only for 2 players and it's viable. They both started as common soldiers, part of scout squad. Back then we had more players but high rotation so only these 2 was present all the time, rest of players was guest stars. After few mission like commando style they got both promoted so now one is commanding officer while the other is his right hand and bodyguard. It's working well so far. We finished 2 campaings (we are playing once a week for about 6 months) and it's better than bigger group.

When playing with two players you have to focus on narrative, give them personal quests, lots of story and even more guest npc's than in normal game. Sometimes if i think that a fight or battle can be too hard for only two players i make a two more npc to join their squad and support them in combat. From my expierience it's better to run commando style regiment or special ops squad than armoured company or line infantry for this type of game. Another good option is sentinel platoon since they work mostly independent. And lastly when they don't have numbers they need to have more expierience and better equipment.