Top 10 Monsters

By Indalecio, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

1. Golem - high health, good damage dealer.

2. Kobold - high numbers of figures makes them very annoying for heroes.

3. Medusa - immobilize is useful and poison too (plus who doesn't love a good Medusa).

4. Chaos Beast - the morph ability is awesome, i like picking out the most OP hero for this one...

5. Hellhound - mainly like the master version because of fire breath.

6. Harpy - fly ability is good plus they deal some decent damage.

7. Bone Horror - just started playing this one and so far it really has been hard on the heroes. Lithesome makes it a good second rank monster.

8.Manticore - Ravage is a great ability (two attack actions) plus they look cool...

9. Demon Lord - also just started using this one, sorcery ability is good plus he has good defense, just wish he could fly.

And my favorite monster of all time!!!

10. Skeleton Archer - this was the monster that started it all for me way back in the day, the very first creature I faced in D&D and i was hooked from that moment on. I will always give these guys a spot on the team, no matter what.

My son also likes using the following:

- Wraith (he likes to doom the heroes)

-Wendigo (two attack actions)

-Elemental (likes the choices of elements)

-Beastman ((ravage - again, two attack actions)

-Hybrid Sentinel (because they are OP)

-Lava Beetle (he likes the blast ability)

- Bane Spider (because its spiders, duh)

Edited by Malachi

My list would require some serious revision given everything that has been released for this game in the last 12 months :)

However I realized the task as being virtually impossible without giving a context to this list. It is obviously doable to ask people to give their Top 10 based on personal preference, like:

- Which monsters you think are the coolest, e.g. which ones do you tend to choose just for their fun factor.

- Which minis do you prefer, e.g. which monsters do you pick almost regardless of stats based on appearance soleley - That sounds awful, I´m glad I don't have to ask the same question about heroes :D

- Which monsters do you almost instantly field based on how you can relate to a given piece of lore - some poster above said he loved Skeleton Archers as they reminded him some good ol' memories.

People would probably agree that this context is radically opposed to the context of a Top 10 monsters based on efficiency exclusively. I think a fair part of all lists presented so far comprise of a mix of these, mine included. Chaos Beasts are cool (to me anyway) but they shouldn't be in my Top 10 because they can only be used 1% of the time, to give an example.

However, that also means we hit a problem instantly, as monsters cannot all be compared against each other. I cannot for instance compare Kobolds to Shadow Dragons. They each fill a utility window that is radically opposed to each other. I can definitely say which one I prefer between Shadow Dragons and Crypt Dragons, and between Kobolds and Reanimates, but mixing the two seems silly. Following that logic, there seems to be several distinct "classes" of monsters, leading me to wanting to split this "Top 10" into several Top 5 lists. Maybe you can come along with this decision.

So this is what I am suggesting:

Top 5 coolest monsters

Criterions: Monster art or how the mini looks like, cool/fun ability, or interesting piece of lore related to that monster. How powerful/efficient the monster actually is is not relevant for this category.

Top 5 monsters for melee attacks

Criterions : Damage output, ability to spend surges, resilience in close combat, ability to getting into range quickly, and ability to disrupt heroes (like condition dealing).

Top 5 monsters for ranged attacks

Criterions : Damage output (from attack OR effect - Lifethirst would count in here for instance), range, ability to spend surges, resilience, mobility, and ability to disrupt heroes (like condition dealing).

Top 5 utility monsters

Criterions : Accounts for monsters with powerful non-combat related abilities. No (direct) damage or condition. It can be the Heal ability of the Flesh Moulder, the Hideous Laughter or the Changeling, the Howl of the Barghest or the Summon of the Sorcerer, to give a few examples. The number of figures able to trigger the ability is also a criterion, for those where only the master monster can execute the effect.

Top 5 blockade monsters

Criterions : Monsters that are purposely placed and used to delay the heroes. Resilience (defense, health, defensive abilities), miniature size, abilities making it harder for the heroes to go past the monster (like the Overflowing of the Broodwalker, or the Web of the Cave Spider, for instance), and monster count are the first requirements, other abilities come next (including combat efficiency).

Top 5 monsters for mobility

Criterions : Monsters that are specifically chosen to get to an objective, possibly protecting it, and deliver it to a destination. Mobility/agility is the prime criterion, including all movement related abilities (like Fly or Scamper). The second criterion is resilience, and thirdly any other useful ability (including combat proficiency).

Top 5 combo monsters

Criterions: Monster who have a potential (but reliable and realistically achievable) affinity/synergy to some other element in the game, including other monsters, one or several Overlord cards or plot cards, or anything else (terrain, map layout, hero skill, anything really).

Any crossover allowed as long as the categories are respected.

As always, I will let you brainstorm with this :) and come back with my own list some time this week. Hope for some interesting discussions coming out of it!

Template (1st position being your BEST pick):

Top 5 coolest monsters

1 -

2-

3-

4-

5-

1 -

2-

3-

4-

5-

1 -

2-

3-

4-

5-

Top 5 utility monsters

1 -

2-

3-

4-

5-

Top 5 blockade monsters

1 -

2-

3-

4-

5-

1 -

2-

3-

4-

5-

Top 5 combo monsters

1 -

2-

3-

4-

5-

I don't think I can make such exhaustive lists, but... if you're talking about combos, I came up with one I loved. I posted it at some point here I think, but I take it here again for those who weren't there for reading:

For this combo you need:

-Splig's Plot deck

-Raided Armory plot card

-Summon Splig plot card

-Expert Blow OL Card (Warlord II)

-Cave Spiders (preferably Act II)

When setting Spiders as your open group, Summon Splig as their master. When the oportunity is given, use Raided Armory on the Spiders. They'll gain one surge and 1 hert for each attack (as they have Wilderness trait). You have now 4 attacks with BYY, s=+2, s=Poison, free +3, and 1 free surge to return Expert Blow to hand. Then is Splig's agent turn, who can attack with BRY, s+2, free +3, and again 1 free surge (the Agent takes the traits of the gruop he goes into). If he is out of range for attacking, he can do whatever with one of his actions, but his second action MUST be "Get Them". Now every minion spider can perform ANOTHER attack, with all the previous benefits. Use some Frenzy/Flurry if possible, and even some Blood Rage (which you could have bought previously for Expert Blow requirements). As long as you don't miss any attack, you will always keep Expert Blow, thanks to the free surge.

Edited by AndrewMM

Top 5 coolest monsters
1- Ice Wyrms
2- Shades
3- Volucrix reavers
4- Wendigos
5- Deep Elves/Wraiths

*Obs.: Honorably mentions to Mirklace, who is an awesome and original mini!

1 - Wendigos
2- Ogres
3- Shadow Dragons
4- Trolls
5- Ettins (For the purposes of act I I'd put them up to rank 4)

1- Manticores
2- Skeleton archers

3- Sorcerers
4- Bandits

5- Medusa

Obs.: I'd put Flesh moulders in 6th rank however giving the utility/range status.

Top 5 utility monsters
1- Chaos Beasts
2- Dark priests
3- Barghests

4- Changelings
5- Plague worms

Obs.: With the exception of Chaos beasts, these are fatigue fillers, that I have as a major ability to win time in quests. I'd put Flesh moulders in 6th rank however giving the utility/range status, and on 7th rank Bandits - conditions dealer + search cards stealer.

Top 5 blockade monsters

1- Reanimates

2- Golems
3- Ironbounds
4- Shadow Dragons
5- Barghests (extra defense die from ranged attacks)

1- Razorwings
2- Kobolds
3- Carrion Drakes
4- Ynfernael Hulks
5- Goblin archers

Top 5 combo monsters
1- Kobolds + raided armory (goblin uprising plot deck) + splig agent - get'em (goblin uprising plot deck) + expert blow (warlord) + kobold swarm ability :mellow:
2- Crypt dragons + dirty fighting/dark might + flurry/Frenzy
3- Shadow dragons + dirty fighting/dark might + flurry /Frenzy
4- Plague worms + traps
5- Bandits - conditions dealer + search cards stealer

Edited by Dommus

Alright so I´m going to give this a go:

Top 5 coolest monsters
1- Crow Hag – Honestly everything is cool about it, the miniature looks awesome, its design is awesome, the ability quite unique, it's a bowl of fresh air for the Overlord who for once has something else to toy with than the usual stuff. Crow Hags 12 points from Sweden.
2- Rat Swarm I hear some noise coming our way! It's probably a monster! - No look they´re just sewer rats, you can lower your blade... - Wait.. hang on... run!!! BOOOOM – Logan? Logaaaaaan!!!!!!! Seriously, the look on the hero players' face. Priceless.
3- Broodwalker – I have been waiting for a monster with terrain-related abilities. I am very glad it came to light with the Broodwalker (although I´d like to see some more). Now I am very sceptical as for the Broodwalker's capability to sustain its movement disruption for very long, but the ability is very cool indeed. It's not very far away from the Wendigo's Freezing ability except all figures have it in the case of the Broodwalker and not only the master. It's kind of a huge difference because you could potentially lock down a passage with these monsters if the heroes are not well-prepared. Terrain is one of the most interesting aspect of Descent so I like content introduced to force the players to deal with dynamical terrain brought by this monster.
4- Chaos Beast – Because rolling 4 attack dices with Sorcery has never been as fun. I like mirror abilities a lot, so I like this monster a lot. Useful when you have some overpowered hero around, or a big baddy in LoS like Mister Mirklace. One would argue that the only fun is to roll many dices, it's quite straight forward after all, but the psychological aspect of it is what makes it fun in my mind.
5- Ynfernael Hulk – Just because I love my painting on them, which reflects the way they´re supposed to be in game. Fast, vicious and underworldly. Their abilities are cool too, after all it's the fastest large monster in the game.

1 – Hellhound – The sheer damage coming out of these ”things” is outrageous. I have seen them wipe out an entire party of armored heroes. With 4 figures, this is absolutely one of the best choices for tasks with violent purpose. The top of the monster mafia. Their move of 4 means they can reach contact very easily, and can also be used to block corridors. They are not that tanky, but that black defense dice in Act II is to be reckoned with.

2- Hybrid Sentinel – These monsters are made of steel and I cannot say enough good things about them. Resilient, hard hitting, they may lack powerful added damage upon surge, but the dice pool and Fire Breath on the master make up for it. Fly means they can harass the heroes and are resilient to hero positioning strategies. A plague for my heroes.

3- Rat Swarm – The ultimate glass cannon. For alphastrike only, they´re bad at everything else but that's not what we expect from these guys do we?

4- Arachyura – Three dices in Act I, and both have Pincer Attack which is a huuuuuge deal. Pierce comes as a cherry on the cake if you can afford the double surge. Not tanky, but surprisingly good defensive dices compared to other monsters.

5 - Ynfernael Hulk – The fastest large monster in the game, for a nice +3 damage on surge for the master. This is not strictly better than some of the other large monsters, but their reach makes the difference in my mind. They have Knockback to give them that impact (and deal additional damage if used in conjunction with damage dealing terrain spaces), and both monsters get the yellow dice in Act II (not all minion monsters get that upgrade). A solid choice they are.

1 – Bandit – With 5 figures, these guys are pretty nasty at short range, dealing Doom condition (one of the best conditions around) and providing a way to disrupt searching abilities from the heroes. The only downside is that the Overlord needs to choose the terms of the fight with them otherwise the heroes will slaughter them. Therefore these are best combined with abilities giving them additional movement or defense to guarantee their protection.

2 - Crow Hag (I only have limited experience of them) – I´ve witnessed some crazy sequences involving these monsters. They´re not that great for dealing damage, but if you couple them with another monster group then they can completely shut down healing. The master's Death Omen ability only asks to be spammed twice a turn, inflicting these Terrify, Doom or Stunned conditions.

3- Goblin Archer – 5 figures and okay surge abilities, the increased range being particularly useful as you can operate slightly further away from the heroes. Good damage output if you can keep them close to the master. The master's damage output is quite impressive for a tiny creature like that if you consider the extra damage on surge. The Act II version allows for longer range, which is always nice.

4- Lava Beetle – Are often underestimated but they have some incredible damage output when used in the right situation. The worst enemy is a dice roll without surge, though, so I tend to keep these extra surge OL cards at hand. Like some other fragile monsters, you need to choose your moment for storming in with these guys, as they are glass cannons effectively.

5- Medusa – Only listed for the infliction of conditions. Very useful in Act I, much less in Act II when dealing damage is harded to achieve on skilled up heroes. Best coupled with a second monster group rather than operating on their own.

Top 5 utility monsters

1 – Changeling – The perfect utility monster for these Basic II Overlords. You can never get wrong with Changelings, plus they´re great in battle. Let's say it: they´re really nasty. Whisper is very useful against these low-willpower hereos, forcing them to move can be a huge deal to enable things like Blast, pushing them into Lava or into range of some hard-hitting monster. I have used Changelings as much as I could in this game, especially for these quests where heroes needed to open locked doors using attribute tests.

2- Ironbound – To protect these Lieutenants, these monsters can be a lifesaver. They are a big deal in those quests focused on keeping a specific monster alive.

3- Barghest – Howl is very good. I sometimes use it twice a turn if in range. Piling on fatigue tokens on the heroes shut down their skills (at least the ones that matter) so they´re really a great weapon in general. The only requirement is on willpower so they're not going to be that useful against every hero group, but they can still be justified in my opinion.

4- Dark Priest – Only for these heroes that are low on willpower. Same reasons as stated for the Barghests.

5- Flesh Moulder – For the Heal ability of their master, especially when coupled with a Lieutenant. Healing themselves can be a big deal as few monsters have that capability, making heroes waste actions on them. I sometimes purchase the Dark Resilience Universal card because it is such a big deal to delay the killing of your master monster or lieutenant, so that's why I like Heal a lot.

Top 5 blockade monsters

1 – Golem – I think it was quite obvious, but immunity to Pierce and conditions make this monster a rock especially for these corridors. Now I would actually not pick them if my hero group was very strong on damage sans Pierce, because at the end of the day even master Golems go down if heroes have 8 attacks at the guy (barring familiars). Still, hard for me not to list it.

2- Plague Worm – Put them in a position so they can block a corridor, so the heroes effectively need to chop down three walls of flesh. Worms are resilient and can trigger burrow to push figures one step further to their destination. A classic for me.

3- Kobold – Filling every space of a room with a Kobold can be good enough as a blockade, The heroes need to spend many actions trying to tear that wall apart. A wall that regenerates every turn.

4 - Giant – Very resilient and hard-hitting monsters. I use them a lot whenever I need some extra punch.

5- Broodwalker (limited experience of it) – Heroes cannot easily go around these monsters and need to kill them in order to clear the way. If your heroes are not completely geared up the Broodwalkers can be a decent alternative in my mind, especially if you can couple them with monsters shooting from behind or Bone Horrors. Enough to delay them I suppose. I prefered to list them in my top 5 even if I lack experience with them just to highlight that possibility (otherwise my #5 would have been Shadow Dragons for the same reasons as the Giants).

1- Harpy – Fragile, but extremely mobile and come with 4 figures. The Swarm ability is intimidating for heroes trying to catch these guys, and an incentive for keeping the Harpies in formation at all times. They need to stay together anyway in order to use the master's Flock ability, which only asks for being spammed turn after turn. Goes down very quickly if caught individually, though.

2- Carrion Drake – Twice as tough as the Harpies, same range but do not get the extra movement from the Harpy master and come with one less figure Still, very useful, especially if the lack of resilience from the Harpies is an issue.

3- Hybrid sentinel – One step higher defensive-wise from the Carrion Drake. Sometimes you gotta give the job to the professional. Perfect compromise between mobility and attack/resilience, even if I consider them as shock attack troops rather than scouts. I guess I am ranking them as high as 3 rd due to their flexibility. You cannot go wrong with them regardless of the task, but I also find them distracting as you really want to make use of their high combat proficiency, potentially getting in the way of getting the job done (as far as delivering an objective is concerned).

4- Deep Elf – They are mostly intended for guerilla tactics, but they can work sometimes to achieve an objective, especially if you can still find a window to use their high pierce attacks. But it's like putting all of your eggs into the same basket considering how many figures you get (only 2). Hardly reachable by normal means, but skilled up heroes will have no problems taking them down without too much hassle. Once cornered they go down very quickly.

5- Goblin Archer – The poor overlord's choice instead of Harpies. Scamper is very useful and makes up for the lack of Fly. Goblins are a solid choice for these race quests whenever the above monsters cannot be chosen.

Top 5 combo monsters

1- Aura monsters like Demon Lord /Mirklace or (to lesser extend) master Broodwalker + Dark Charm or Treacherous Shadows. Free damage by simply moving around the monster.

2- Lava Beetle when used in conjunction with web traps or any trap card allowing you to keep heroes in a position that allows you to use Blast.

3- Bandit / Goblin Archer with Wristlet of Wind, giving them higher snipe range.

4- Toss-abilities (Throw from Ettin , Burrow from Plague Worm etc) and Pit spaces. Be gone!

5- Rat Swarm Merge ability + Blood Bargaining. Hilarious, but very situational.

Edited by Indalecio

Got to watch hellhounds closely I think :huh:

Nice post Indalecio. I agree with many of your points.

1- Aura monsters like Demon Lord /Mirklace or (to lesser extend) master Broodwalker + Dark Charm or Treacherous Shadows. Free damage by simply moving around the monster.

Actually, a hero that is influenced by Dark Charm, Dark Host, Treacherous Shadows etc. is treated as a *monster* figure for the duration of the action they are performing. Sadly this means they are actually immune to aura effects, web, and any other abilities that affect hero figures. This was confirmed via an FFG response.

On the plus side however, for the duration of the action, they are also affected by things that affect monsters, such as a Stalker's trap activation, the heroic ability of Andira Runehand, etc. so its not all bad!

Edited by Charmy

[...]

5- Rat Swarm Merge ability + Blood Bargaining. Hilarious, but very situational.

Oh god, I don't care how situational it is, I need to try this.

I am just wondering, after so many years of playing Descent, new expansions and new monsters, have your preferred monsters changed?

Are there any monster groups that you decided to use more often?

I for one have been using strongest possible open groups less often- I do not use hybrid sentinels or shadow dragons as often.

Instead, the groups I appreciate much more are:

Sorcerers: they have much higher damage then you would would expect.

Flesh Moulders: masters healing skill saved us much than once.

Rat swarm: very thematic, and damage dealing

Bandits: psychological effect

On 2/18/2016 at 3:36 AM, Charmy said:

Actually, a hero that is influenced by Dark Charm, Dark Host, Treacherous Shadows etc. is treated as a *monster* figure for the duration of the action they are performing. Sadly this means they are actually immune to aura effects, web, and any other abilities that affect hero figures. This was confirmed via an FFG response.

Was it mentioned in the CRRG? I cannot find it...

On 9/3/2020 at 11:32 AM, kbalazsa said:

Was it mentioned in the CRRG? I cannot find it...

Yes, Charm effects are discussed on Page 63 of the CRRG. More specifically this passage:

For the duration of the effect, the hero is considered to be a monster and no longer a hero.

I've checked it in the meantime, that all of these aura - kind effects on monster cards are texted with having the 'hero' word in the explanation. That is what completes the statement for me, great.

Wow, this is somewhat hard core. I don't really see playing Descent in some super competitive way like some of you are talking about. For example, I'd just put Shadow Dragons at the top of my list because...they're super fun and dragons are awesome. It's very clear not every monster is balanced for what you get, but then again, if you bought it, why not find a way to play with it, right?