Activation Tokens

By kdawgrny, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

Just picked up the game this past weekend and I am looking forward to starting the campaign this weekend.

Per page 3 of the RRG, If the rebels have three heros, one of them gets a 2nd activation token. So is it implied that if the rebels are only playing 2 heros that each hero gets 2 activation tokens? I didn't see it anywhere in either the RRG or the LtP booklets but it makes sense that the rebels will always have 4 activation tokens no matter if there are 2, 3, or 4 heros.

Am I correct in that assumption?

You are correct.

The rule is described in the blue box on LTP guide p. 10.

With three heroes each hero gets the "heroic" reward card. With two heroes they both get the "legendary" reward cards. The cards have more details concerning the bonuses. :)

Ahh... I never looked at the cards. I kept looking for the answers in the books.

Thank you!

One thing to keep in mind is that the hero(s) with the extra token cannot use it until all heros have had a turn.

So no going 1st, then 2nd. but going 3rd, then 4th is allowed.

Also, the token must be passed to another hero IF POSSIBLE, but nothing says the token can't pass back to a hero who had it the previous turn: Ie, no requirement for every hero to get the token. If there's only one hero still on the board, then he can't pass the extra activation, and he can keep the extra token all to himself, the greedy son of a gun.

Edited by Alarmed

We have found it better not to use "Heroic" and "Legendary" and instead just have the more (game experienced) players control multiple heroes until 4 heroes are being used.

But that's just our personal preference.

We have found it better not to use "Heroic" and "Legendary" and instead just have the more (game experienced) players control multiple heroes until 4 heroes are being used.

But that's just our personal preference.

Yes, the game balance is better with 4 heroes, however, it can be wearing if in a 4 player group (1 Imp 3 rebs) the same person has to play the extra every time. -_- Or even worse, if the group decides to hand-off the extra hero and the less experienced player gets the short end of the stick on a tough mission and this ends up causing friction because the other players lay blame for the loss at that player's feet. :unsure:

Obviuosly, those are group dynamics issues, but these things happen, and we have options for getting around them with the "heroic" and "legendary" tokens.

;)

With three Rebel players, we had the Rebels come to a consensus on how the 4th hero activated. Nobody could blame anyone else because it was a group decision. Since it was Mak, it was usually pretty obvious where the best move was.

With three Rebel players, we had the Rebels come to a consensus on how the 4th hero activated. Nobody could blame anyone else because it was a group decision. Since it was Mak, it was usually pretty obvious where the best move was.

And when the rebels get smashed, they can always just blame Mak!!

I'm running two campaigns. In one campaign the two players are playing two Legendary rebels. In the other campaign two different players are each playing two rebels (four rebels total).

So far the two legendary rebels are undefeated but the four "regular" rebels have yet to win a game. Not sure why this is but I'm leaning toward the players different play/tactics styles influencing this. Or perhaps it's just "one of those things". Although everyone is enjoying both games.

Two activation tokens means that they will absolutely FLY across the board if they rush to objectives and will make it very difficult to catch up. I do prefer more heroes over legendaries.