New Card Idea

By quailman2101, in Android: Netrunner Deck Building

I wasn't sure where to post this...

I have an idea for a new corp card.

The Sweeper (just a possible name I came up with)

Asset

Rez: 0

Trash: 4

Text:

Whenever one or more virus tokens is placed on a card, you may rez and/or use the ability of The Sweeper.

2 creds or trash: Remove all virus tokens just placed on target card.

I don't yet have a preference on faction or influence cost.

I thought of this card to combat the noise/cyberfeeder/grimoire/aesop/cache epidemic that is going around octgn. When I'm playing corp I find it rather annoying when the runner trashes the top card of r&d and gains 7 creds in one click!!! And multiple times a game!

It'd also be a nasty surprise for someone who just trashed an incubator they'd been sitting on for a few turns. Against surges too. And it could end up making the difference with a parasite or medium or chakana.

Anyway, just an idea I came up with. It'd definitely be a gamble putting it in a deck as you don't always face viruses.

Well, your template get is off. By phrasing it as a Paid Ability rather than a Prevent effect you leave the door open still for a lot of shenanigans.

But even at that, this card shouldn't exist. All this card says is you "find it rather annoying" to play against Noise. Well, sorry--attacking you where you're weak, disrupting your infrastructure, janky burst economy--that's just "Hello Anarch." You think NoiseCache is bad, wait until MaxX installs Eater, then Amps Up and drops a five click Wanton Destruction on you. That's how they roll.

The card says nothing of the sort. I came up with the idea because of what I find annoying. And how could one not find that scenario hard to deal with. It's just an idea for a corp card that could be helpful in certain circumstances, like a ton of other cards. (Like Cyberdex Trial; a super good card under the right circumstance) And I'm not crying boo hoo; I play both sides just like everyone else and of course I try to make the best decks possible. But to every strategy there should be cards that are effective against it.

I absolutely don't expect this card to get made, I just thought it was a cool idea and wanted to mention it.

What's effective against Noise is realizing that his best Econ is a three card combo that takes up 9/15 influence.

And "not useful in all situations" is not a balancing factor; you're talking about a card, for zero cost, that entirely shuts off the best plays of an entire faction, particularly a playstyle that is finally getting real support in O&C. Wanton Destruction, Hivemind Bombs, Gravedigger mills, Eater & Cutlery, Bad Pub Oppression-- the corp is about to have to get used to having its beautiful plans monkeywrenched at every turn.

A zero cost card that says "LOL no" is stupid.

the cost isn't set in stone, it could be changed. and its not free, it costs 2 per use, maybe it should be 3. or perhaps 2 creds and trash. though, in all but 3 cases that i can think of, only one virus counter is added to a card at a time (cache, imp, and incubator are the exceptions i can think of). so spending 2 or 3 creds for one virus counter would quickly become very costly.

it's just a rough idea. right now, the corp doesn't really have anyway to effect virus counters other than purging. cyberdex makes that less costly (I'm not sure if I've ever seen the card used), and i think i saw an ambush card in the new deluxe expansion that purges. but with one or more festers out, it makes purging even more costly. i thought it would be a good idea for the corp to have another way to at least hamper the runners virus counter acquisition. perhaps the card i came up with isn't the answer, though i think the basic idea behind it is solid.

Edited by quailman2101

Your card is free, as written. You can install it, rez it for zero, then trash it. They've already beat you to it in Order & Chaos, which is a much more balanced card, as it doesn't allow for a full on Prevent effect, and it does have a cost if you want to use it on-demand, otherwise you're waiting for the virus alert to be triggered by a security breach.

Cyberdex Virus Suite

Upgrade: Ambush• Rez: 3 • Trash: 1 • Influence: 0

If Cyberdex Virus Suite is accessed from R&D, the Runner must reveal it.

When the Runner accesses Cyberdex Virus Suite, you may purge virus counters.

{Trash}: Purge virus counters.

Edited by Grimwalker