slight gift pickle

By htsmithium, in Black Crusade

So i have a player who just got weapon limb as a reward, normally not an issue. However in this case he had no weapons due to only wanting to use his fist and he has declined to get one or change the reward. So is there any way to make it a reward while keeping the character flavor? I thought about letting his fist gain the stats of a power fists, but that seems like a cop out.

Maybe let his player go " monk" and add some weapon attributes to his hand, like corrosive or radioactive?

Is the definition left ambiguous?

What was the first thing he touched/held after he got the mutation?

himself

I mean, you could give him claws or something retractable a la wolverine.

Reference page 292 of the rulebook. If your player does not want his new weapon limb, he can petition the gods to reverse it. It is not to a mortal's whim that the gods grant their boons. Let him focus his own endeavors to correcting this unexpexted 'gift' as a plot point.

Give him a refluffed Hand of Khorne. It's no power fist, but it works. Or you can give it the stats of a daemonette claw as per Chaos Organ, if you want to make it less powerful (due to not being a Reward).

So in the end we gave the players fist the mono upgrade.

As you didn't specifically mention Slayer Limb in the OP (what the gift's really called), I omitted to mention that a weapon may be provided if one is not possessed when you get it. It's all there in the description of it. You wouldn't have needed to made this thread had you just read the gift properly.

Actually I did, I also mentioned in the OP that he did not want a weapon as he did not want to lose the flavor of his character, someone who killed with his fist, and as slayer limb replaces an arm from at least the elbow down it would be against his character concept , I was asking how to modify to still give the player this reward without punishing him. I realize my not using the exact name of the gift may have confused you ( I did not have the book handy when I made the post and forgot) , but had you read the top post properly there would have been no need for that comment.

Anyway the issue was resolved and thank you to all the advice ( even brothertearer's first post)

Actually I did, I also mentioned in the OP that he did not want a weapon as he did not want to lose the flavor of his character, someone who killed with his fist, and as slayer limb replaces an arm from at least the elbow down it would be against his character concept , I was asking how to modify to still give the player this reward without punishing him. I realize my not using the exact name of the gift may have confused you ( I did not have the book handy when I made the post and forgot) , but had you read the top post properly there would have been no need for that comment.

Anyway the issue was resolved and thank you to all the advice ( even brothertearer's first post)

Easy solution: don't see it as a reward. It's a gift of the gods. The gods don't give a **** if you don't want a certain mutation. There's a large chance you'll one time or another get a gift you don't "want". Read the black box regarding reversing mutations and so on.

Players (assuming it's not due to a failing) get their IB to adjust the result on the gifts table. That should be enough. You as a GM shouldn't tailor a gift to a character just because the player who rolled it happens to 'not feel it'. The character gets the gift he rolls (if due to a failure) or he chooses (after adjustment). If he wants to get rid of it, make the character work for it.

That's the concept but that doesn't mean that's how it has to be played.

If Htsmithium wants to mix it up a bit (and by the sounds of it improve the enjoyment of his RP Group) he's well within his right too. After all who represents the will of the Chaos Gods more than the game master.

Not that I need to throw my two cents in here since the solution has been found.

Edited by Amroth