Discard Pile

By TiMBa, in Talisman Rules Questions

Can any player look at the discard pile of any kind (adventure deck, spell seck, etc) at any time?

I believe so, but they cannot change the order.

I would say no. Looking through the discard pile to see what has gone is paramount to cheating and also wastes time!

Only time we let someone look through it, is if they have the Devout Blacksmith and that is just to save some time.

I would also say no. You can possibly see the top card of the discard pile, but no more.

So you can't take a look at the discard pile.. Hmmm good to know maybe I was getting mixed up with different games?

This is not a given rule, so saying a player cannot look into the discard pile without changing the order is quite a radical statement. It is more a matter of etiquette between players, because like talismanamsilat said it's a waste of time. Moreover, most card games when it's important to remember cards that have been discarded don't allow looking into the discard pile at will.

I agree that a character with the Devout Blacksmith should be able to have a look into the discard pile before deciding to use the Follower's ability, otherwise it would be quite pointless to have him.

It would be nice to know why the OP has asked this question, if it was because of the Devout Blacksmith or something else.

Might not be a waste of time if you are the Graverobber and you have a awful memory :) .

Yes, my question was because of the Devout Blacksmith.

Can a player look through the discard pile only when he use this follower, or at any time given while he have this follower in his possesion?

This is not a given rule, so saying a player cannot look into the discard pile without changing the order is quite a radical statement. It is more a matter of etiquette between players, because like talismanamsilat said it's a waste of time. Moreover, most card games when it's important to remember cards that have been discarded don't allow looking into the discard pile at will.

I agree that a character with the Devout Blacksmith should be able to have a look into the discard pile before deciding to use the Follower's ability, otherwise it would be quite pointless to have him.

It would be nice to know why the OP has asked this question, if it was because of the Devout Blacksmith or something else.

I don't quite agree, the options would be that either:

(a) You can look through the discard pile at will and will know whether it's worth to burn something or not.

(b) You have to mark something for burning before you start browsing. This implies you have to try to remember/keep track of valuables in the discard pile or risk burning you possessions in vain.

Devout Blacksmith

This blacksmith can touch fire without being harmed. He happily offers his aid against the Ifrit. At the start of your turn you may either burn 1 of your Objects to take 1 Object from the discard pile; or burn 1 of your Magic Objects to take 1 Magic Object from the discard pile.

I'm leaning towards (b).

I don't think the card wording is enough to gives a definite ruling on this and the discard pile is never explained in the base game rule book (I don't blame them). I've always taken for granted that it's to be face down and no one is allowed to look in it unless an ability says so.

Edited by Nioreh

Mmh, you don't buy me. Deciding to burn an Object without knowing if there are any Objects to take in the discard pile is awful and just an exercise in memory. Consider that the Devout Blacksmith is also specific on the card type: one Object for one Object and one Magic Object for one Magic Object. If it was designed to work like a slot machine, probably it would have had less restrictions. In its current form it's not an overly useful Follower, even if you allow the player to browse the discard pile at will.

Moreover, the only valuable Objects in the discard pile are the ones discarded by effects and abilities that say "draw 10 cards and choose 1 to keep", e.g. Grave Robber, Crypt Keeper or Treasure Chest. Discarded cards are rarely shown to other players, therefore the Devout Blacksmith's owner would have to be a pain in the neck, asking to see every discarded card like a meticulous customs officer.

As soon as a Bag of Gold has shown up, you can always burn Objects for gold, at least. Better do it with Ifrit Gold or Two Bags of Gold.

Edited by The_Warlock

Mmh, you don't buy me. Deciding to burn an Object without knowing if there are any Objects to take in the discard pile is awful and just an exercise in memory. Consider that the Devout Blacksmith is also specific on the card type: one Object for one Object and one Magic Object for one Magic Object. If it was designed to work like a slot machine, probably it would have had less restrictions. In its current form it's not an overly useful Follower, even if you allow the player to browse the discard pile at will.

Not sure what the average number of Adventure cards drawn in a game are for us (yes, I do keep track, but haven't calculated an average), but even without checking the discard pile, I'll pretty much know if there is something worthwhile in there or not at any stage of the game. It's not about recalling everything in there, but the key cards you might like (Ring, Solomon's Crown, etc.), won't be many of those hitting the discard pile to begin with, keeping track of them should be no problem.

As to the usefulness of the Devout Blacksmith, have him a in game where the Rod of Ruin hits the discard pile and watch him work his magic. Nobody else is going to have any stat gains unless the Follower is somehow lost :lol: ! Ah, good times!

Wow, this is all news to me. I actually thought browsing the discard pile was allowed at any time.

Wow, this is all news to me. I actually thought browsing the discard pile was allowed at any time.

Me too.

After looking into the rules (something I should of did first :) ) yep there is no cough RULE that says you can as for the Devout Blacksmith yes you have to remember.

Well.. there's no rule saying you can't look in it either. Actually the discard pile(s) aren't explained at all.

Mmh, you don't buy me. Deciding to burn an Object without knowing if there are any Objects to take in the discard pile is awful and just an exercise in memory. Consider that the Devout Blacksmith is also specific on the card type: one Object for one Object and one Magic Object for one Magic Object . If it was designed to work like a slot machine, probably it would have had less restrictions. In its current form it's not an overly useful Follower, even if you allow the player to browse the discard pile at will.

Moreover, the only valuable Objects in the discard pile are the ones discarded by effects and abilities that say "draw 10 cards and choose 1 to keep", e.g. Grave Robber, Crypt Keeper or Treasure Chest. Discarded cards are rarely shown to other players, therefore the Devout Blacksmith's owner would have to be a pain in the neck, asking to see every discarded card like a meticulous customs officer.

As soon as a Bag of Gold has shown up, you can always burn Objects for gold, at least. Better do it with Ifrit Gold or Two Bags of Gold.

Yeay , I know. This it what makes me lean more towards (a).

You're forgetting something very important, potions that makes you gain strength/craft. I've had two record fast games where the blacksmith kept recreating potions, yielding anabolic characters :)

My rule book doesn't say anything about breathing. I am no longer gonna let my players breathe while playing Talisman. :P :lol: :rolleyes: :ph34r:

Playing Talisman is about fun, I don't care about such rules.

Edited by DomaGB

You're forgetting something very important, potions that makes you gain strength/craft. I've had two record fast games where the blacksmith kept recreating potions, yielding anabolic characters :)

Ok, but where was he finding so many unworthy Magic Objects to burn? The City has some of them for sale at 1G, but getting inside to buy them and then out to use the D. Blacksmith's ability takes a lot of time. I won't rely too much on Potions though, you can still roll a 1. Rod of Ruin might be worth it, but again, where do you find all those crappy Magic Objects that you don't want to keep?

When you're keeping everyone else at starting stats, it's not like you need a lot of Magic Objects to keep. There are far more chaff MOs in the decks than cards worth keeping. Ultimately, all you need is 1 Talisman, everything else you find, you can burn.

What!? The rules say nothing about having fun! Stop having fun immediately!!

Ok, but where was he finding so many unworthy Magic Objects to burn?

The Highlands.

What!? The rules say nothing about having fun! Stop having fun immediately!!

Yeah its really not a good idea to argue "It does not say I can't" in the rules. Its more to look at it in a balance point of view otherwise one could end up in a "I can" "No you can't" childish discussion :) .