the 4th edition rules from ffg

By gonrhade, in Talisman

Nice find! Going through it now for changes!

Thank you all at FFG for the nice new rulebook. A few welcome tweaks there should sort out the vast majority of queries. I'm glad to see the added usage of terminology to help clarify things such as Attacks being broken down into Battle and Psychic Combat so cards can use one of the 3 words to be entirely clear. I also like the Weapon and Armour categories being added. And the use of Armour instead of Armor!!! Also the clarification that you can take a characters belongings if you kill them rather than the muddle of following the flow chart and different rules applying for different spaces on the board.

Being an incredible nitpicker, the only thing that I did notice was the problem of getting a Warlocks Quest that you can't complete. I've played before when my quest was to take a life from another player but all the other players were in the inner region by then meaning that I couldn't reach them. Other than that, I can't really think of any questions off the top of my head.

Well done all involved.

Geoff

Cidervampire said:

Being an incredible nitpicker, the only thing that I did notice was the problem of getting a Warlocks Quest that you can't complete. I've played before when my quest was to take a life from another player but all the other players were in the inner region by then meaning that I couldn't reach them.

If that happends you can allways go back to the Warlock and roll for a new quest. Or use fate to reroll the dice if your first quest is impossible.

The rules say you can't go on a 2nd quest but a Fate point would seem to do the trick!

Typo on page 4; Game Setup, 5. (...) and then choose which one of those three characters they wish to play .

Typo on page 21; under Inherited Items , last sentance in 2nd paragraph; Anything that is not be taken by the new character (...)

Typo in the Talisman Encounter Sequence; In the Encounter Character box; (...) (if your special ability permits you do to so) (...)

Moran taing FFG! Not only have you made me very happy, but you've also managed to wet my appetite for the upgrade pack and expansion at the same time. gran_risa.gif

Read through the rules and was very happy! Good to see the rules cleaned up. I also can't wait to give Fate a shot. Sounds like it will make the game a little more fluid and I think it's going to be a welcome addition. The "Bloodbath" mode rocks as well.....

Fate= Lame. Just my opinion , but I dont like it. Also don't like the fact that it can be replenished.

gatefold313 said:

Fate= Lame. Just my opinion , but I dont like it. Also don't like the fact that it can be replenished.

I think I will be playing with it removed. I don't like the idea either.

Talisman was a very flexible game. You can play without this rule. Anyway same opinion, it's like a "legal cheat".

Bloodbath? Nice variant. happy.gif

The one thing that struck me as out of the ordinary was the Troll having 6 lives. Logically it makes sense, one would figure that a strong character would have more lives, but in practice I think that will make the Troll nearly unstoppable. What are the odds (especially with some fate points) of the Troll ever loosing 6 lives before he is able to muscle his way onto the crown?

Fate is an excellent addition to the game. While Talisman will never be mistaken for Advanced Squad Leader, it is nice to see that one small area of strategic decision-making has been added.

I'm going to reserve judgement on the new rules untill I get a chance to play several games. However, I do like the new prophetess ability. I never liked the idea that she never got hit by any bad cards. Will the orb card also be changed? FFG- please hurry.

Brando said:

The one thing that struck me as out of the ordinary was the Troll having 6 lives. Logically it makes sense, one would figure that a strong character would have more lives, but in practice I think that will make the Troll nearly unstoppable. What are the odds (especially with some fate points) of the Troll ever loosing 6 lives before he is able to muscle his way onto the crown?

The beautiful thing of Talisman...is the game is a great equalizer. I have played Talisman on and off for the better part of 20 years. The Troll although it has 6 lives....more times than naught gets cut down by Craft/Spirit monsters. I have seen the Troll do well if things go their way(I.E. getting a lot of Str. Monsters to fight.). Usually at one point or another though the low craft is always their downfall. You could get lucky and in the old edition get the Magic Ring +1 Str./+1 Crft., or King Solomon's Crown +2 Crft., or a similar follower and just own up. A lot of times though I have seen the Troll just beaten into submission. In the original editions, the more balanced characters such as the Ghoul & Dark Elf usually did really well. Of course the Uber Characters such as The Prophetess, The Wizard, & The Sprite these characters seem to do exceptionally well. Due to always having at least one or two spells at all times the Uber's just crushed you with pure spell power. So yes the Troll does seem powerful but as we all know looks can be deceiving...LOL.

On a side note I applaud the changes to the spell casting. No rifling through the spell deck is going to bring great balance to this game. Limiting the before mentioned Uber characters...the simple fact that they can only cast as many spells as they started with in the beginning of the turn is huge. I am excited to play with the new edition and try out the new mechanics.

I think on the whole the new rules look really good. The only thing I can't get my head round is why they have put in a rule that allows you to move to a space, dump a pointles object and then get away with not drawing a card. It probably doesn't make a lot of difference in the base game but can you imagine if they adapt the Dungeon expansion set and you can get a bunch of mules full of junk and get to the end of the board just by dropping your rubbish so you can avoid drawing cards. The addition of this rule seems to me to a pointless overcomplication and I can't see why it was added. Can anyone else enlighten me?

Geoff

(I love the new rules otherwise, honest!)

Fate diminishes the enjoyment of the game in my opinion.. the biggest fun in Talisman is watching the Uber character going down to a toad, or being beaten by the luck of the dice by a weaker character and turning the tide of the game. These make memorable moments of the game... with fate suddenly becomes a lot more boring.

I won't be using it.

Cidervampire said:

I think on the whole the new rules look really good. The only thing I can't get my head round is why they have put in a rule that allows you to move to a space, dump a pointles object and then get away with not drawing a card. It probably doesn't make a lot of difference in the base game but can you imagine if they adapt the Dungeon expansion set and you can get a bunch of mules full of junk and get to the end of the board just by dropping your rubbish so you can avoid drawing cards. The addition of this rule seems to me to a pointless overcomplication and I can't see why it was added. Can anyone else enlighten me?

Geoff

I agree. That will maybe have to be a house rule we play with. I would say you can drop an item but interacting with space came first...then you can drop all the items you want. So you would land there interact with the space by drawing a card, kicking the heck out of another player or monster, or picking up cards/gold on the space. Then after those actions have been resolved you can drop whatever whether you are forced to or want to. Not sure why they would include a rule like that to tell you the truth. All I know is it won't be allowed in our games.

Gilfano said:

Cidervampire said:

Geoff

I agree. That will maybe have to be a house rule we play with. I would say you can drop an item but interacting with space came first...then you can drop all the items you want. So you would land there interact with the space by drawing a card, kicking the heck out of another player or monster, or picking up cards/gold on the space. Then after those actions have been resolved you can drop whatever whether you are forced to or want to. Not sure why they would include a rule like that to tell you the truth. All I know is it won't be allowed in our games.

Completely Agree!!!!!!! Likewise in our games

Cidervampire said:

It probably doesn't make a lot of difference in the base game but can you imagine if they adapt the Dungeon expansion set and you can get a bunch of mules full of junk and get to the end of the board just by dropping your rubbish so you can avoid drawing cards.

Do keep in mind that in the original (ie: 2nd ed :P ) Talisman, mules, horses, etc wouldn't follow you into the Dungeon. We kept forgetting that more often than not though :D

I'll post more comments when I have time to properly read through the ruleset.

I thank you for your time

Lord Gorthuar de Veris

Cult of Nagash

You could take mules down the Dungeon, not horses though

Geoff