Opportunity Cost of 'Resting'...

By macmastermind, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

IMO, spending a potential move/attack/special action to simply recover 1 strain or damage - when you are probably about to suffer another 3 or 4 - is a laughable waste of time.

Anyone else think a rest action should recover 2 strain/damage? Or at least allow one rest action to recover 2 and limit it once per activation - then you at least have an action to do something useful...

You seem to have something wrong:

During a campaign, hero figures can perform an action to rest. When performing a rest, the hero recovers strain equal to his Endurance.
• If he recovers more strain than he has suffered, he recovers one health for each strain he cannot recover.

So that are most of the time 4 or 5 points of strain/health or combination thereof.

There is a different rule stating ways to recover damage, but they are different from resting.

For example, under Strain on page 23 of the Rules Reference Guide we read:

" If an effect allows a hero to recover more [strain] than he has

suffered, he recovers one [damage] for each [strain] he cannot recover."

Additionally, under Surges on page 24:

" During a campaign, a hero performing an attack may spend
1 [surge] to recover 1 [strain]."
Together, these allow you to potentially recover 1 damage during an attack (if you use a surge to recover a strain but have no strain on you). Perhaps you mixed this up with Recover? Because Luther Engelsnot is right about the Rest action.
EDIT: Added page numbers.
Edited by Budgernaut

...wow...

Ok, that explains a LOT. Also explains why Rebels have been losing so much.

Wow, just that little bit will turn the WHOLE game around for me. So, resting recovers strain-then-damage equal to that hero's endurance, and using surge recovers 1 strain if you have one, otherwise 1 damage. Meaning a 5-endurance hero fully strained, double-resting would recover 5 strain, then 5 damage?

So, I basically need to start a new campaign now.

Yeah, I've been only recovering one strain when I rest a hero, so I would double rest to recover only 2 strain and cuss at FFG because I'm an idiot.

And just to make sure we're all on the same page, using a surge from an attack roll to recover 1 strain can only be done once per attack and consumes that surge so it can't be used for anything else.

...wow...

Ok, that explains a LOT. Also explains why Rebels have been losing so much.

Wow, just that little bit will turn the WHOLE game around for me. So, resting recovers strain-then-damage equal to that hero's endurance, and using surge recovers 1 strain if you have one, otherwise 1 damage. Meaning a 5-endurance hero fully strained, double-resting would recover 5 strain, then 5 damage?

So, I basically need to start a new campaign now.

Yeah, I've been only recovering one strain when I rest a hero, so I would double rest to recover only 2 strain and cuss at FFG because I'm an idiot.

Or, a double resting hero with 5 endurance and no strain would recover 10 damage.

Or a hero with endurance 5 and 4 strain would recover 4 strain and 1 damage.

Something I seem to do a lot with Diala...

Bleed is quickly becoming one of my favored conditions specifically to address the healing. My players don't like to spend time clearing the bleed so it slowly eats away at their ability to heal damage and forces them to rest more often, usually allowing unopposed actions on my end.

Also, this may need some clarity but I'm interpreting Bleed as written, that if you rest with an active bleed, you take the bleed strain after resolution.

I would have to see the bleed card to give a ruling on that.

I do not have the car, but I'm quite sure Bleed is worded "After you resolve an action..".

We had a situationen where a player doubled rested and ended with a strain token on his sheet

Yeah, if it says "after you resolve an action" then you would be correct in your interpretation.

I agree. And technically, what happens in the case of a double resting hero is that the hero took 2 strain, 1 for ech rest action, but the second rest removed the first one.

If there was a situation that would activate "if a hero takes strain" you could apply it to any of those triggers